Ready At Dawn Studios Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2020

3.4
Ready At Dawn Studios Co-Founder Ru Weerasuriya (no image)
Ru Weerasuriya
  1. "Really friendly development culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent development team culture, lots of comradery and passionate. Not too crunch-oriented, very diverse and inclusive. Free work gym courtesy of the Irvine Company, a fully stocked kitchen, and a relatively relaxed PTO/sick time expectation.

Cons

Lower than average pay, even for the games industry. Communication between production and the dev team can be strenuous and at times absent. Lots of growing pains between departments.

Ready At Dawn Studios2020-04-07
  2. "Programmer"

Current Employee - Programmer

I have been working at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

There can be a rigid structure and at times hard to bring change

Ready At Dawn Studios2019-12-29

"Effort Pays Off"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Producer

I have been working at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Making great games with passionate people - The employees of RAD are all dedicated to looking at what makes games fun in a variety of different ways. Sometimes it may come off a little chaotic but they are willing to take their time to insure the quality of the end product. Studio Culture - It has been very clear since day 1 that the admins/founders of the company are fully dedicated to the team. I always rolled my eyes before when people brought up co-workers being like family but the culture they have instilled here is very much a family. There may be some arguments (really just part of the creative process) but at the end of the day everyone is moving toward the same goals and able to hang out after work. Hard Work = Pay Off - Since starting at RAD I have not only looked at my current task list, but other places that I could help out. The idea of a team is very strong here and when people find ways to help one-another it comes through in the final product. By keeping this mentality in mind, I have managed to move up at least once a year. Hard work truly is rewarded at RAD. Pushing the Industry forward - RAD is very focused on finding and bringing in new talent. They may have high standards for those they bring in but that is only because the culture is built around being on the cutting edge. - Everyone who works here takes great pride in their work and wants to not just make the best looking/feeling product for now, but something that also will be the best 5/10 years from now.

Cons

Strong Personalities - Feels like, to be fair, I should mention that there are some very strong personalities roaming the halls at RAD. I personally view them as a challenge to improve myself (especially since creation/passion go hand-in-hand). But I can also understand how this fact may be off putting to some.

Ready At Dawn Studios2019-08-02

"Not a fun place to make games."

2.0

I worked at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are a lot great people at Ready at Dawn. Snacks and coffee are plentiful. They make really pretty looking games.

Cons

There are also a lot of difficult people at Ready at Dawn that seems to take all the fun out of making games. There are folks there that have been there for 7-10 years and they don't have interest in collaborating with the new employees. Meetings are constant and overbearing and decisions aren't made quickly. This is why you see so many reviews here on long hours and crunch. They wait till the last minute to decide on something and we have to pay for it in long hours. I've worked at 5 gaming companies and this one was definitely the worst. While they came up with a cool game, it was shame how miserable the journey was.

Ready At Dawn Studios2019-04-19

"Great work, but crunch is a thing"

Former Employee - QA Tester in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great work! Loved working there, the culture was awesome, the environment and office was great. Everything was pretty much perfect when crunch wasn't happening.

Cons

Crunch happened, like it does in any video game company unfortunately. I understand that it's a fact of life, but that doesn't make daily 12 hour days + weekends any more fun. They did compensate well with free food and overtime pay though, so that was nice.

Ready At Dawn Studios2019-03-13

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time

Pros

The Studio allows you to grow and try new roles and challenges over the years (I.E. wear multiple hats). Ready is filled with passionate and very smart/talented individuals. Primary focus is on making great games (not a ton of drama). Many lessons were learned after the Order (Going from PSP to the PS4 was a harsh transition). Pod structures are now formed with directors just providing guidance which allows team members to have a greater sense of ownership. That combined with new blood has allowed RAD to become a better place. It is still a place I'm proud to work at. Work in VR where you can't (and should not) take player control away, has helped prioritize player agency. Improved transparency on where the company is going and what managements thoughts/plans are. Culture club, Coffee club, MTG league, can play computer games at your desk (after hours/lunch), and beer Fridays. Great people and friends who all love games. Stability. Leading the charge in VR games. Serious about making and shipping great games. Strive and push to make AAA games. Swords earned at 10 years.

Cons

Crunch and overtime still happen more than it should, but most of the time it can be minimized if you prioritize a work/life balance. It's also better than it used to be, many years ago. Directors often get attached to a concept/idea too early and stay fixated to it for too long (while it is still a con, I feel like they are getting better at listening to non-director feedback). Design team has been understaffed over the years but it seems like that is improving. Reviews and promotions are often very late or delayed.

Ready At Dawn Studios2018-06-21

"...you will learn a valuable lesson here!"

I worked at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

... Great studio for entry-level/go-getter type people. The studio facility is great, with wide open floors and natural sunlight. There are a few very talented people around in tech and art (they are getting less these days, though).The studio space is fairly new (2 yrs) and most of the tech and furniture setup are brand new with a smooth European-designed look. Management has a high bar for aesthetics and company presentation.

Cons

They told the team to write positive reviews on Glassdoor, which should tell you a lot about the type of mentality coming from upper management. The studio is poised filled with dishonesty and has a heavy testosterone driving work culture. Best ideas always win? Unfortunately that's not the case here. During The Order 1886 the core team didn't want any team members to bring in ideas to the IP and its ongoing development. Directors were (and still are today) out of sync with each other lacking a true vision for their current games and the broader future of the studio. Leads are filled with arrogance (since both owners are super-rich and like to show it) and mainly stick around because they have weird personalities incompatible with other dev. teams. One of the owner wears many hats (CEO, Creative Director, HR) which makes it impossible to understand a clear direction for the games developed there. The actual CEO (off-site) is never at the studio and only shows up at Christmas parties! Review and performance cycles for employees are missed and or delayed most of the time.

Ready At Dawn Studios2017-03-08

"on of the worst"

I worked at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clean studio, good kitchen, Irvine is a clean area

Cons

no respect for their employees, they are so rude and they really don't value their employees as humans, you are just a part of their business.

Ready At Dawn Studios2017-03-02

"Talented and motivated team dedicated to making great games."

Current Employee - Technical Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm always motivated to do my best because I trust everyone else is as well. It's evident through daily updates and day to day production conversation. Most of the production staff have their eyes set on making great games and not just benefiting themselves.

Cons

It seems that management leans on beaurocracy more times than not. With the amount of time, effort and energy spent on making games collaboratively (most work long past the mandated core hours) the studio seems to lack trust with it's employees.

Ready At Dawn Studios2016-12-22

"Meh"

I worked at Ready At Dawn Studios full-time

Pros

Good location. Nice office. Good equipment and tech

Cons

It was entertaining to read the positive reviews on this page. Some are so formal, it almost seems like it was written by the management. Hmmmmm…. If they were, you'd think they would have better things to do than care about some Glassdoor reviews. Anyways, there were some ridiculous, unrealistic expectations from the company, while not meeting many of their own promises. Layoffs and firings seem to come suddenly. Maybe these are rantings of a disgruntled employee. maybe not.

Ready At Dawn Studios2016-11-07