RealPage Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough sometimes (in 19 reviews)

• Turn over in upper management and constant changing in departments (in 25 reviews)

"Think longgg, hard, and twice before you step into this toxic place"

Former Employee - Business Analyst III in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst III in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee that taste like twigs

Cons

This place is toxic and a complete nightmare! I can't believe I worked their for a year, I couldn't wait to get out and so embarrassed to even have them on my resume given their bad reputation in terms of both product and company culture.
    Realpage promise? What promise? to break your spirit and crush you!?

1. Teams, departments, and managers work in silos and duplicate effort, which is probably why one of their main product is full of bugs.
    2. The most incompetent management with zero leadership skills. Can't grow when all management does is sit in their offices and worries about their lame meangingless titles. They don't empower you to grow and be successful at all. They simply don't care, they just come in to gossip and collect a paycheck.
    3. Their main solution Onesite is sheer garbage; when I joined as a BA I lead efforts to analyze existing issues with application and I recall counting 400+ defects.
    4. Zero work life balance. Be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week. You spend countless hours trying to analyze their buggy software and coming up with solutions, which actually don't go anywhere because of the bureaucratic culture.
    5. The bureaucratic company culture has bled into employees so bad and you are surrounded by bottlenecks. Colleagues with zero ambition and drive.
    6. They "claim" to be this cool, successful, revolutionary software company who is growing and follows lean practices like Agile. Lies!!! What they do is barely waterfall, everything is just chaotic and there is no structure, processes or procedures.
    7. You are NOT compensated well for everything you put up with; below market pay, health benefits are awful with high deductible plans only, PTO is pretty bad.
    8. Whatever you do, DO NOT TRUST HR! They are not on your side. HR and Management will conspire against you, it's actually quite impressive all the creative ways they can disrespect and humiliate you, and question your integrity and livelihood.

All in all this is a perfect place for individuals with no self respect, has a day in/day out mentality, looking to do a mediocre job, and collect a paycheck. You'll fit right in and your job will safe.

Advice to Management

Get out of our offices, work on eliminating silos and collaboration, empower your employees, coach them, provide training, encourage them to drive quality deliverables and be successful. And lastly and most importantly stop gossiping!

"Not For Everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starbucks, very beautiful facilities, large number of staff members. I had the opportunity to meet some wonderful people outside of my Team.

Cons

Where do I begin? First, I want to start off by saying that this is not intended to be a malicious review, but absolutely written to hopefully prevent someone else from experiencing the horrible things that I experienced with this company.
    For Minorities (other than Asian or Middle Eastern) If you are Black or Mexican, you will only see your race in majority, if the person has a lower level position or a position on the bottom floor in the call center. I was made aware of this by a current employee during my first week on the job. Blacks and Mexicans are scarce above the first floor and there are less than 1 or 2 blacks in any Senior or above level positions, if that many. Again, I was told this early on which really made me feel uneasy.. While, I'm not sure if this is undercover racism at its best, this is the reality of what I was told and witnessed. Also, let me say that, I cannot speak for RealPage as a whole, but I can only speak for the LeaseStar Team that I was on as a Consultant.

Interview Process
    The interview process was a pleasant experience. Both ladies who interviewed me seemed to be very nice, knowledgeable and they really made me feel like, if I were offered the position after the interview, that I would be throughly trained and that there was indeed a learning curve, so I did not have to know anything about the products to get the job, but later I found this to be FAR from the truth.

Work-Life
    The Team that I was on, in the beginning, they were all very nice, but after time went on, it was made very clear that I did not fit in to be whatever it was that they were looking for.
    I literally felt like the black sheep of my team although I did not understand why. Often times, most of the people on my Team would not even speak to me or would act as if I wasn't even there. When I first started out, they had me sitting on calls for hours at a time listening to sessions that were conducted by 3 different trainers in and effort for me to be "trained". I figured out early on that this method would not work and voiced my opinion and after that, I was told not to sit on any more calls, but to write out a script and flow that I would use for my trainings instead. So I did. Without any true guidance or direction. I combined notes that I had taken from all 3 trainers and combined them into a script that I had written and prepared myself. To make a long story short, once I tried to do the presentation and the training myself based on the script that I was told to write, I was told that I was doing the training wrong and was sent a document to follow. Because all 3 trainers, did their trainings in 3 different ways and I did not have any formal training, it was difficult to pick up every aspect of the training because each session is covering almost 2 hours worth of content. So, I made the changes as instructed and completely unlearned what I had previously learned, rewrote my script in its entirely and tried again to learn present the product in that way and AGAIN was told that it was wrong AGAIN as well. SO, again without any formal training or direction, I decided to simply rewrite the script and just read the script verbatim instead of learning the product because there was no way that I could do both without any formal training. Well, that did not work either because when asked a question outside of my script, I could not answer it because again, there was no formal training. I was told just to ask questions and I guess that would be my training. I guess my team members figured out that they were NOT being paid any extra to continue to train me so, I I could feel that they started not to care whether I learned the product and how to properly present it correctly or not.

After this, this is where the chaos started. I would ask a question and get 3 different answers and would be expected to somehow comprehend what the answer was.

To top it all off, I was humiliated, belittled and demeaned on several occasions by a coworker on my Team and nothing was done about it. I felt worthless at times and it made it difficult for me to even feel welcome to come to work. I would literally get sick thinking about going to RealPage, but I was determined to work hard and do my best to prove them wrong about the awful things that I was told that my team members would say about me. I was the only black person on my Team and whether they knew it or not, they let me know that I was not one of "them" on a daily basis. I was hired on with little training, so if you are expecting a position where you will have any form of decent training, please look elsewhere. Your coworkers will somehow train you and they don't really want to because they are not paid to, which I completely understand, so if any of this sounds as crazy to you as it was for me, please consider another company. It's just not worth it. RealPage is packaged like a really beautiful Christmas gift that is actually filled with lumps of coal on the inside. You are anxious to open it to see what's inside, only to find out the gift is worthless and the only thing you have of any value, is the beautifully packaged box. This is my interpretation. The training I received was comical for a company of this magnitude. The firehouse technique is used here and there is no form of "formal" training in any capacity. You are expected to simply learn from watching your peers and if you don't pick it up that way, be prepared to be let go.

I have a vast amount of experience so training myself or learning from my team members possibly could have worked, if I felt comfortable asking the people on my Team for help. There were a couple of people who were genuinely helpful, but later I found out from OTHER Teams and random people that my team members were trashing me behind my back every single day, mostly just for not understanding the product, asking too little or too many questions or just because they did not like me and didn't think a black person should be on their team. When I was told this, I literally got sick to my stomach. I believe it to be true because I was once chewed out and publicly humiliated by a team member in front of everyone on the floor because I tried to take the lead on a client and made a mistake. When I addressed the issue with my Manager, it was swept under the rug and she told me just to ask questions to someone else. Well, that did not work out because the people on my Team who I thought really wanted to train and help me, were only pretending to want to help and bad mouthing me to OTHER Teams behind my back. Every time I would leave my desk I would hear a new rumor. When I found out about all of this, I was crushed. I worked really hard to learn the product myself and I literally stressed myself out and tried to blend in to make things better. My manager made NO effort to train me and simply put the tasks on my other Team mates who acted as if they wanted to train me publicly, but really didn't. With all of this going on and me constantly hearing from other Teams about the things that "they" were saying about me, everyday at this place was like being in Hell. But I kept a smile on my face, kept my head low and tried my best to train myself. Well, that did not work out either because the training that I taught myself wasn't up to par with what they were looking for. So, when I found out from a current co worker on ANOTHER team last week, that I would be let go, a part of me was RELIEVED. But, I still did the best that I could to learn the product and teach it to myself, so I am proud of that. I believe that I was put in this position to learn a lesson about racism and discernment. The entire time, I was working so hard to understand and learn their product, they were plotting against me. The funny thing is, they would even tell me things like "there is a 6 month learning curve", "it took me forever to learn the product", "don't be so hard on yourself", but in reality these people were setting me up for failure. From what I was told by other team members, I wasn't liked from the beginning and didn't fit in with their white culture. But thankfully, I received a heads up in advance and was able to be prepared and to make other plans. I hope that the next person who comes in, is a better fit with their culture or if not, maybe they won't mind what comes with it.
    Cheers to new beginnings and best of luck to everyone!

Advice to Management

Offer proper training by skilled employees who specialize solely in conducting product trainings and intro trainings on products for your employees, instead of expecting other employees on their teams to train their peers. It is unfair to both sides and with this mentality, you will never get the results that you are looking for and people will continue to leave your company when they find a better opportunity. Establish some stability and consistency in your departments. Constant change is a drag for anyone, but especially for new employees. How do you expect anyone to learn and grasp any concepts if they are constantly having to deal with disorganization and change every day. Also, please hire more minorities (Blacks and Mexicans) outside of the call center. Don't look at a persons color to determine their worth or skill set. Just because a persons skin color is different than yours, does not mean that they don't deserve to receive the same treatment, respect, mentoring and opportunities as others. What I experienced with your company, I could only pray that no one else has to ever experience it. Also, employee communication is key. If you have an employee who is new and who is not performing up to par, please take time out of your days to train them properly instead of believing that people on your team will do this for you and don't base your hiring or firing on other team members reviews of a person or what they tell you about the person, if you have not taken the time out to mentor or train them yourself. If you would like top performers, you have to give them the ability to be great and proper training and mentoring is the key instead of putting this task on employees on your team who are not paid to train other employees. Best of luck!

Apr 10, 2017

Interesting post. It is imperative that employees get trained and I believe we can both agree on that. You started to lose me when you suggested that there is undercover racism at RealPage and you ... More

3. "Overworked & Underpaid"

Former Employee - Support Representative in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Support Representative in Burlington, VT

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about software and property management.

Cons

Never have I felt so unrewarded for working so hard. You'll get used to help create company profit that is not shared with you. You're required to defend an awful and overpriced product. The work is challenging and unfulfilling. As a support representative, the actual job conditions were barely humane. Unending calls with constant pressure to shorten call times but increase call "quality." We were allowed time off the phone once every few months- I barely had a chance to get to know co-workers. The pay was laughable when you consider the complexity of accounting, regulation knowledge, tech support, troubleshooting, and customer service that was required, plus flexibility about training on any newly acquired product. We were measured with meaningless metrics and management poorly enforced or communicated expectations. Half the jobs are being moved to the Philippines or India so there is a lot of job insecurity as well. The pressure felt relentless and I burnt out quickly. There is no point moving to another position in the company- they put a cap on pay.

It seems that there are some individuals in the organization that are attempting to improve things, but I don't think things will ever get better with the current executive team. They seem ignorant and interested in profit over people.

Advice to Management

Realpage will always be mediocre unless you figure out how to keep talented employees. Growth sheerly through acquisition is unsustainable and short sighted.

Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for your post. I deep dived your situation today with Chris and Ryan who you know and are leaders of the function. So lets tick through your issues. The plan calls for the headcount in ... More

"This place is a joke..."

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll collect a check... Although will probably be underpaid

Cons

Transparency is a big issue with this company. Direction changes every 6 months and management rotates quickly. Issues with management are company wide.... Too many departments lock you down and prevent you from moving up throughout the company unless you know the right people... I worked for at least 5 different managers during my time with Realpage and I'd endorse 1... maybe 2. None at the director level. Too many unqualified leaders hiring unqualified employees in my opinion...

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you for your post. There are bright spots in every company and then there are areas that need more work than others. Apparently you worked in the later. The company as a whole continues to ... More

"Customer Care Associate [Licensed]"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate [Licensed] in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate [Licensed] in Tustin, CA

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Hours 6a 3p, short commute, reasonable good salary & benefits.

Cons

Impossible to handle work load, employees are stressed out. very little social contact between employees.Seriously substandard computer software [ for a couple of weeks the automatic withdrawal system took annual payments on monthly payment plans, another time it took 2 months payments instead of 1 month]. Have to deal with a whole lot of hostile, abusive customers. You are dealing with illiterate people making minimum wage or on welfare. These people have your insurance, not because they want it, but because it is mandatory.

Advice to Management

A little respect & compassion for your employees will go a long way. Your employment policy of letting go & firing long term employees in order to hire new employees at lower salaries will hurt you in the long run.

Oct 20, 2016

Thank you for your post. I'm glad the hours, salary and benefits were agreeable to you. I will reach out to Ed Wolfe to discuss your technology opportunities to ensure that we have that fixed. I and ... More

"RUN AWAY! Company is UNprofessional beyond comprehension!"

Former Employee - Office Support in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Office Support in Richardson, TX

Pros

Flexible working hours, other than being close by, thats the only pro there is.

Cons

Everything else about this company is a con, from management to the lowest job positions there.

Advice to Management

Learn what REAL management is. Stop hiring pretenders who know absolutely NOTHING about management! Managers are supposed to know everything there is to know about their departments, and know how to manage the people in it, not be ignorant of everything and refuse to do anything about the shiftless, useless abusers that are there.

Start firing all the clock riders, layabouts, and violent/abusive employees and replace them with ACTUAL working employees who know what they are doing and care about what they do, and have working knowledge of what it is to be professional, ethical, courteous, and responsible worker! This includes all the supervisors and managers who only have their positions because of favoritism or nepotism.

And above all else, get a REAL Human Resources department who actually CARES, and not just has the same reply for EVERYTHING - "theres nothing we can do about that".

There is no accountability at this company! The abusive/violent employees do as they please and "management" and HR completely ignores everything that goes on, including the violence, hate, and intolerance that the lethargic, clock riding employees dish out to the very few employees that they have left who actually DO the work. There is no discipline of any kind, on any level!

Pay is substandard, no bonuses, raises are a complete joke, and benefits are expensive for the sub-par benefits you are charged for.

The entire company needs to be "cleaned out"! Of course the company wouldn't be this way if the CEO were competent enough to do what needs to be done.

Sep 7, 2016

A lot of anger here. Its unfortunate that you did not experience the type of company that you were looking for. I sincerely hope you find that place. Knowing that our engagement scores are coming in ... More

"Simply useless organization managed by simply useless people"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I bet there is nothing and nothing and none.

Cons

Simply in one sentence no morals and no ethics to management guys

Advice to Management

Money is not important humanity and be a good human being is important

Aug 2, 2016

This post is very hard to comment on except that I agree with you that being a good human being is very important. I also work with some leaders who continually strive to do the right thing for our ... More

"Love being work yes but only for management guys"

Former Employee - Developer III in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Developer III in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage (More than a year)

Pros

You get new manager for every six months

Cons

Management still thinks slavory still exists
    No ethics no professionalism
    Labor rules are very poor

Advice to Management

Please wake up and grow up guys

Apr 28, 2016

Thank you for your post. Your feedback is harsh and its unfortunate that your experience did not meet your expectations. Duly noted. I sincerely, hope you find a better situation for you in the ... More

"Avoid Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing - Other in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing - Other in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time

Pros

1. Moving to a new building in the fall of 2016.
    2. Some of the top leaders are incredibly brilliant.
    3. Really great opportunities for exposure to top level management. They're willing to talk people of lower positions and not have an ego about it

Cons

1. Tired leadership that lacks a fundamental understanding of digital marketing. Leadership consistently makes decisions based off emotional whims. I.e., one HTML email came through and did not download properly, therefore we switch to all plain text emails instead of addressing the coding issue of the one email.

2. When looking at a job within the marketing department, be sure you're ready to give up anything that might resemble a work-life balance. It's a slow fade, you'll start out eager and fresh and then you slowly realize that there is this unspoken expectation for giving up any sort of time that resembles a break. Lunches will be scarce, it's best if you arrive early, no later than 8 and don't even think about leaving until well after 5:30 when the rest of the parking lot is deserted. This of course is due to leadership that models this and expects the same of their direct reports.

3. Are you a strategic thinker? Someone with a vision? Maybe someone that likes to create a plan and adhere to it? Turn around and walk away. While most publicly traded companies have some sort of marketing plan, RealPage does not. Internal feuds between marketing, sales, and product have created a free for all in regards to strategic roadmaps. The end result is a hostile environment where leadership vies for the ear of the CEO. The problem is further exacerbated by aging leadership that is desperately trying to hang on to a position that has been over their head for too many years.

4. Do you enjoy the Hunger Games? Perfect. You'll enjoy RealPage's favorite ritual called "PMC". Every 60 days you'll have the pleasure of going through a process reminiscent of prepping for your final college exam (except with a lot more at stake), scrambling to make up appropriate numbers, slapping together PowerPoint decks and presenting your progress as a team to the CEO. And by team, I mean 30 people in a board room with the CEO (not exaggerating). Why the CEO cannot conduct smaller meetings with his reports and leadership is beyond me. Seems that we're looking back at the past 60 days a little too often (he does this for each product group) instead of looking forward. Personally I believe that this contributes to the sad state of the company's stock price. PMCs are a tremendous waste of everyone's time.

5. Career path. Non-existent. Of course, this primarily applies to marketing. What they'll tell you is, "Oh, we've had plenty of promotions lately." You should ask them specifically what roles were promoted and what merited that promotion (accomplishments aren't exactly well documented). This is a department ruled by favoritism and agreeability with leadership.

6. Verbal abuse is alive and well within this department. I have never seen a leader manipulate and intentionally destroy the confidence of their team before. I understand business can become emotional, but when it becomes a detriment to the department's confidence and ability to act effectively and drive revenue, that's when it becomes a problem. One that needs to be addressed. Sadly, most don't speak up about such situations.

7. Pawns are a part of the game of chess. And at RealPage, in the marketing department, you'll be treated as a political pawn to ensure that "we win". This is ironic because you would think we would be striving to "win" as a company, and not a department. This is another attitude that stems from the top and negatively impacts culture.

8. This is more just a side note, but the positive GlassDoor reviews that you see all of a sudden for the marketing department have been purposefully crafted or encourage to be posted in order to counteract many of negative comments that are starting to be posted. Take everything with a grain of salt, including my post.

9. Upon hiring, they'll tell you all sorts of wonderful things about flex-schedules and how they're going to combine PTO with sick days. Don't bet on it. Get it in writing if you're serious about it. Also, don't get too wowed by any stock they offer you. There is a lot of small print that ensures that you won't reap any sort of reward.

Advice to Management

Immediate management lacks any ounce of humility. The only thing I have for them is a quote, "The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." I'd like to encourage quick change before they lose every talented person in the department. Throwing money at contractors will only limp you along for a little while.

For upper manage, what befuddles me is how they can be so blind to what is going on in their own marketing department. Maybe instead of focusing on "orbs" they should focus on how their marketing, sales, and product teams operate. Also, it'd be okay for them to not always make numbers their sole focus and to be human on occasion. Need to develop a sense of compassion for employees. You're operating in a day and age where you have way too many major corporations in your backyard that are truly and humbly focused on the people that work for them. But in the words of Buffett and Munger, "culture is nearly impossible to change."

Mar 28, 2016

Thank you for your post. I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed some aspects of the RealPage team. Obviously some real heat burn within the Marketing function. I copied your post and shared it with ... More

"If you like pretentiousness, you will love RealPage."

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at RealPage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, work with UnitedWay, location. Troubling and unstable cloud stack, especially technology from companies RealPage acquires. Sorry that was a con, the company is like that.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Dallas does not offer enough talented technologists. Horrible industry. Hard to go home every night and think you are making a difference in the world.

Mar 7, 2016

Thank you for your post. At RealPage, we are making a difference, because we help people find homes, that are safe for their families. I'm glad you liked the pay, the United Way, we are a very ... More