RealPage Reviews | Glassdoor

RealPage Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough sometimes (in 19 reviews)

• Turn over in upper management and constant changing in departments (in 25 reviews)

"Contact Center Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company was great at providing incentives for the marketing agents.

Cons

Constant change. No room for career growth for the leaders. The company is very segmented the department's did not work cohesively together.

Advice to Management

Invest in your leaders.

Apr 10, 2017

Thank you for your post. I see that you departed after a considerable period of time and I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for at your next stop. As to investing in our leaders we ... More

"Think longgg, hard, and twice before you step into this toxic place"

Former Employee - Business Analyst III in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst III in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee that taste like twigs

Cons

This place is toxic and a complete nightmare! I can't believe I worked their for a year, I couldn't wait to get out and so embarrassed to even have them on my resume given their bad reputation in terms of both product and company culture.
    Realpage promise? What promise? to break your spirit and crush you!?

1. Teams, departments, and managers work in silos and duplicate effort, which is probably why one of their main product is full of bugs.
    2. The most incompetent management with zero leadership skills. Can't grow when all management does is sit in their offices and worries about their lame meangingless titles. They don't empower you to grow and be successful at all. They simply don't care, they just come in to gossip and collect a paycheck.
    3. Their main solution Onesite is sheer garbage; when I joined as a BA I lead efforts to analyze existing issues with application and I recall counting 400+ defects.
    4. Zero work life balance. Be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week. You spend countless hours trying to analyze their buggy software and coming up with solutions, which actually don't go anywhere because of the bureaucratic culture.
    5. The bureaucratic company culture has bled into employees so bad and you are surrounded by bottlenecks. Colleagues with zero ambition and drive.
    6. They "claim" to be this cool, successful, revolutionary software company who is growing and follows lean practices like Agile. Lies!!! What they do is barely waterfall, everything is just chaotic and there is no structure, processes or procedures.
    7. You are NOT compensated well for everything you put up with; below market pay, health benefits are awful with high deductible plans only, PTO is pretty bad.
    8. Whatever you do, DO NOT TRUST HR! They are not on your side. HR and Management will conspire against you, it's actually quite impressive all the creative ways they can disrespect and humiliate you, and question your integrity and livelihood.

All in all this is a perfect place for individuals with no self respect, has a day in/day out mentality, looking to do a mediocre job, and collect a paycheck. You'll fit right in and your job will safe.

Advice to Management

Get out of our offices, work on eliminating silos and collaboration, empower your employees, coach them, provide training, encourage them to drive quality deliverables and be successful. And lastly and most importantly stop gossiping!

Apr 24, 2017

Wow, a lot to unpack here. Its unfortunate that you have this much anger pent up. I'm not going to address your perceptions other than to say the vast majority of employees do not share your ... More

"Decent place if you like treading water"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay has been commensurate with position.

Decent medical insurance. 401k options with a weak match.

Nice new facility with covered parking, a cafeteria and gym.

Discounts to health insurance for achieving and maintaining goals throughout the year. Though the requirements went up this year, many employees anticipate not having discounts in the future. It'll just get more and more difficult to maintain.

Potential to take advantage of a weak market because AppFolio and Buildium are weak. Other than that, not much else really stands out.

Cons

Don't really expect to go anywhere. Echoing other reviews, middle and lower management is cluttered with idea and yes people. Don't expect to ever get interviewed or promoted up from the ranks. In nearly five years, I've only known two people to make it up to manager/business analyst. RealPage can and will hire from the outside, especially on the Propertyware side. Regardless of tenure, product knowledge and experience with other departments; you will get passed over. Very common complaint with rank and file employees. It's either go elsewhere or get so burned out you get let go.

HR complaints are not taken seriously. At all. Company had rehired a terminated individual that was let go for sexual harassment. Management didn't follow up at all with my two complaints. The first wasn't serious because of direct questions that would compromise the integrity of being anonymous; key part of the "Silent Whistle" program but whatever. The second didn't matter much because...termination. Common complaint with rank and file employees.

Fragile software package that often breaks leading to more headaches than resolutions. Development and product have been playing catch up with bug fixes for 5 years. Some client issues go unresolved in this game of chicken. Seeing who'll blink first; Propertyware or the client. Will the client cancel or just delete the issue and try again? Common complaint with the clients that email and write in. Just look in salesforce, don't listen to management because it's their tail on the line.

Departments constantly play hot potato with client complaints and bug issues. Communication is advocated but rarely taken seriously.

Crime issues with the parking garage. The city of Richardson is doing their part with police patrols but the on site security is as useless as Captain Uselessy McUseless of the USS Useless. Richardson PD shouldn't have even had to have been involved; common complaint with the rank and file employees.

I'm actually glad I was terminated. I just wish they'd done it outright instead of giving me a performance cap only to not give me the full 30 days. Why blow in my ear when you're not going to make the first move? It's just cheap and they do it all the time. Though the HR lady that walked me out was extremely nice. I don't know how she does that job, that's gotta be tough.

Propertyware had the potential do go places and be a leader but in the last two years there has been so much turnover that experienced employees are gone or have checked out. Management has alienated and driven off bright minds that could take them places. A majority of the people that remain are sycophants content with mediocrity. For the past two years, the excitement is gone. It was just a job and not a career anymore. Wasted a perfectly good monday morning driving in to get fired.

Open air workplace that is cool and straight out of the mind of a hipster that never catches colds. We all have that one friend that never gets sick and I think this is the person that designed this cesspool. People blowing their filthy noses and not washing their hands, coughing and running fevers and still coming to work. Touching the doorknobs. It's filthy and never sterilized. I've been in locker rooms at the hockey rink that feel less germy than this place. But hey, it's cool and inventive. You can't hear anything on the phone and your client complains because it's so loud but it's cool. Just look at the pictures on our website.

No severance pay but again, whatever. I already have two interviews and it's been less than six hours. Realpage trained me for better more exciting work with other companies. I can only imagine I'm on the no-rehire list which is ok I guess. Felt personal being let go but after this review, I can positively say I wouldn't be rehired.

Advice to Management

If management would listen to advice, I'd say start with every review on here and listen to those. We can point at positive percentages all we want but there are never any negative survey results posted. And there's a consistency at the negative complaints, from different unrelated people in different unrelated departments doing different unrelated jobs. Riddle me this Batman, if it smells like waste and is waste...whoa look, shiny object. Positive reviews and percentages from surveys!!

Employee morale would be better if there was a glimmer of hope to manage a department instead of stopping at Generic Job Title III.

Protect people's belongings and their vehicles instead of saving some PDF from the Richardson Police website as thinking that'll stop the bad guys.

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you for your post. I did a deep dive on your function today, your performance reviews, the engagement scores of your function, etc. Propertyware is a good product that continues to evolve. I ... More

5. "Tele-Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at RealPage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck! Management does guide you and give you feedback to help you improve consistently.

Cons

You will not have a real idea of the work you will be doing until after training. Rude customers.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent while in training. Shorten call scripts/requirements.

Mar 14, 2017

Thank you for your post. I am going to pass your feedback on to the contact center and Ian Marshall, who leads the training efforts for RealPage. Ian joined us recently and has great customer ... More

6. "Implementation Consultant"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Richardson, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. 401K matching is pretty decent. Vacation time is good also

Cons

Depending on where you live, the drive can be a bit of a hassle

Advice to Management

Management is goo

Mar 14, 2017

Thank you for post and thank you for noticing that our benefits package is very competitive. We just announced our highest discretionary 401k match ever. The company is performing. Planning a good ... More

"Not For Everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starbucks, very beautiful facilities, large number of staff members. I had the opportunity to meet some wonderful people outside of my Team.

Cons

Where do I begin? First, I want to start off by saying that this is not intended to be a malicious review, but absolutely written to hopefully prevent someone else from experiencing the horrible things that I experienced with this company.
    For Minorities (other than Asian or Middle Eastern) If you are Black or Mexican, you will only see your race in majority, if the person has a lower level position or a position on the bottom floor in the call center. I was made aware of this by a current employee during my first week on the job. Blacks and Mexicans are scarce above the first floor and there are less than 1 or 2 blacks in any Senior or above level positions, if that many. Again, I was told this early on which really made me feel uneasy.. While, I'm not sure if this is undercover racism at its best, this is the reality of what I was told and witnessed. Also, let me say that, I cannot speak for RealPage as a whole, but I can only speak for the LeaseStar Team that I was on as a Consultant.

Interview Process
    The interview process was a pleasant experience. Both ladies who interviewed me seemed to be very nice, knowledgeable and they really made me feel like, if I were offered the position after the interview, that I would be throughly trained and that there was indeed a learning curve, so I did not have to know anything about the products to get the job, but later I found this to be FAR from the truth.

Work-Life
    The Team that I was on, in the beginning, they were all very nice, but after time went on, it was made very clear that I did not fit in to be whatever it was that they were looking for.
    I literally felt like the black sheep of my team although I did not understand why. Often times, most of the people on my Team would not even speak to me or would act as if I wasn't even there. When I first started out, they had me sitting on calls for hours at a time listening to sessions that were conducted by 3 different trainers in and effort for me to be "trained". I figured out early on that this method would not work and voiced my opinion and after that, I was told not to sit on any more calls, but to write out a script and flow that I would use for my trainings instead. So I did. Without any true guidance or direction. I combined notes that I had taken from all 3 trainers and combined them into a script that I had written and prepared myself. To make a long story short, once I tried to do the presentation and the training myself based on the script that I was told to write, I was told that I was doing the training wrong and was sent a document to follow. Because all 3 trainers, did their trainings in 3 different ways and I did not have any formal training, it was difficult to pick up every aspect of the training because each session is covering almost 2 hours worth of content. So, I made the changes as instructed and completely unlearned what I had previously learned, rewrote my script in its entirely and tried again to learn present the product in that way and AGAIN was told that it was wrong AGAIN as well. SO, again without any formal training or direction, I decided to simply rewrite the script and just read the script verbatim instead of learning the product because there was no way that I could do both without any formal training. Well, that did not work either because when asked a question outside of my script, I could not answer it because again, there was no formal training. I was told just to ask questions and I guess that would be my training. I guess my team members figured out that they were NOT being paid any extra to continue to train me so, I I could feel that they started not to care whether I learned the product and how to properly present it correctly or not.

After this, this is where the chaos started. I would ask a question and get 3 different answers and would be expected to somehow comprehend what the answer was.

To top it all off, I was humiliated, belittled and demeaned on several occasions by a coworker on my Team and nothing was done about it. I felt worthless at times and it made it difficult for me to even feel welcome to come to work. I would literally get sick thinking about going to RealPage, but I was determined to work hard and do my best to prove them wrong about the awful things that I was told that my team members would say about me. I was the only black person on my Team and whether they knew it or not, they let me know that I was not one of "them" on a daily basis. I was hired on with little training, so if you are expecting a position where you will have any form of decent training, please look elsewhere. Your coworkers will somehow train you and they don't really want to because they are not paid to, which I completely understand, so if any of this sounds as crazy to you as it was for me, please consider another company. It's just not worth it. RealPage is packaged like a really beautiful Christmas gift that is actually filled with lumps of coal on the inside. You are anxious to open it to see what's inside, only to find out the gift is worthless and the only thing you have of any value, is the beautifully packaged box. This is my interpretation. The training I received was comical for a company of this magnitude. The firehouse technique is used here and there is no form of "formal" training in any capacity. You are expected to simply learn from watching your peers and if you don't pick it up that way, be prepared to be let go.

I have a vast amount of experience so training myself or learning from my team members possibly could have worked, if I felt comfortable asking the people on my Team for help. There were a couple of people who were genuinely helpful, but later I found out from OTHER Teams and random people that my team members were trashing me behind my back every single day, mostly just for not understanding the product, asking too little or too many questions or just because they did not like me and didn't think a black person should be on their team. When I was told this, I literally got sick to my stomach. I believe it to be true because I was once chewed out and publicly humiliated by a team member in front of everyone on the floor because I tried to take the lead on a client and made a mistake. When I addressed the issue with my Manager, it was swept under the rug and she told me just to ask questions to someone else. Well, that did not work out because the people on my Team who I thought really wanted to train and help me, were only pretending to want to help and bad mouthing me to OTHER Teams behind my back. Every time I would leave my desk I would hear a new rumor. When I found out about all of this, I was crushed. I worked really hard to learn the product myself and I literally stressed myself out and tried to blend in to make things better. My manager made NO effort to train me and simply put the tasks on my other Team mates who acted as if they wanted to train me publicly, but really didn't. With all of this going on and me constantly hearing from other Teams about the things that "they" were saying about me, everyday at this place was like being in Hell. But I kept a smile on my face, kept my head low and tried my best to train myself. Well, that did not work out either because the training that I taught myself wasn't up to par with what they were looking for. So, when I found out from a current co worker on ANOTHER team last week, that I would be let go, a part of me was RELIEVED. But, I still did the best that I could to learn the product and teach it to myself, so I am proud of that. I believe that I was put in this position to learn a lesson about racism and discernment. The entire time, I was working so hard to understand and learn their product, they were plotting against me. The funny thing is, they would even tell me things like "there is a 6 month learning curve", "it took me forever to learn the product", "don't be so hard on yourself", but in reality these people were setting me up for failure. From what I was told by other team members, I wasn't liked from the beginning and didn't fit in with their white culture. But thankfully, I received a heads up in advance and was able to be prepared and to make other plans. I hope that the next person who comes in, is a better fit with their culture or if not, maybe they won't mind what comes with it.
    Cheers to new beginnings and best of luck to everyone!

Advice to Management

Offer proper training by skilled employees who specialize solely in conducting product trainings and intro trainings on products for your employees, instead of expecting other employees on their teams to train their peers. It is unfair to both sides and with this mentality, you will never get the results that you are looking for and people will continue to leave your company when they find a better opportunity. Establish some stability and consistency in your departments. Constant change is a drag for anyone, but especially for new employees. How do you expect anyone to learn and grasp any concepts if they are constantly having to deal with disorganization and change every day. Also, please hire more minorities (Blacks and Mexicans) outside of the call center. Don't look at a persons color to determine their worth or skill set. Just because a persons skin color is different than yours, does not mean that they don't deserve to receive the same treatment, respect, mentoring and opportunities as others. What I experienced with your company, I could only pray that no one else has to ever experience it. Also, employee communication is key. If you have an employee who is new and who is not performing up to par, please take time out of your days to train them properly instead of believing that people on your team will do this for you and don't base your hiring or firing on other team members reviews of a person or what they tell you about the person, if you have not taken the time out to mentor or train them yourself. If you would like top performers, you have to give them the ability to be great and proper training and mentoring is the key instead of putting this task on employees on your team who are not paid to train other employees. Best of luck!

Apr 10, 2017

Interesting post. It is imperative that employees get trained and I believe we can both agree on that. You started to lose me when you suggested that there is undercover racism at RealPage and you ... More

"Bad experience that discouraged me"

Current Employee - Credentialing Specialist in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Credentialing Specialist in Richardson, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gym, beautiful building, bike rentals, has a Starbucks

Cons

Management and moral in credentialing, lack of training for new hires

Advice to Management

Pros: NICE BUILDING, Gym, bike rentalsCons: Managment, Training, lack of communication within departmentI was really excited about my new position. Unti the director of my department came into my training class, put on a fake smile and a fake encouragement speech. Then she went and told my direct boss. That she wasn't confident in us?! Like who does that? It was not only back stabbing but very unprofessional. She had every opportunity to discuss her concerns. Now with that being said. They cram 6weeks of insurance training into 2 weeks!!!!!! Expect you to test out and throw you on the phones?!?!?. I have 20 plus years call center experience and this by far was the worst training I ever had. How can you judge me on my lack of knowledge when you dont properly train? Also if I might add. Its NOT the trainer Denise fault. She basically has 5 jobs in one and was pulled in EVERY DIRECTION during our training. She needs a raise. My advice for real page is to have an actual trainer and train properly. Or you'll continue to loose good people. I was really excited about this company and thought i had a future there. But thanks to management. I'll take my skills elsewhere. Oh and the ladies at the security desk had me waiting almost an HOUR for a temporary badge. I was locked out of my department with no way to get in. It was BEYOND UNPROFESSIONAL. I've never worked for a company that discouraged me instead of encouragement

Feb 27, 2017

Thank you for your post. You have raised several opportunities that I will follow up on with training and facilities. I sincerely wish your experience had been different, so we need to deep dive ... More

9. "Overworked & Underpaid"

Former Employee - Support Representative in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Support Representative in Burlington, VT

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about software and property management.

Cons

Never have I felt so unrewarded for working so hard. You'll get used to help create company profit that is not shared with you. You're required to defend an awful and overpriced product. The work is challenging and unfulfilling. As a support representative, the actual job conditions were barely humane. Unending calls with constant pressure to shorten call times but increase call "quality." We were allowed time off the phone once every few months- I barely had a chance to get to know co-workers. The pay was laughable when you consider the complexity of accounting, regulation knowledge, tech support, troubleshooting, and customer service that was required, plus flexibility about training on any newly acquired product. We were measured with meaningless metrics and management poorly enforced or communicated expectations. Half the jobs are being moved to the Philippines or India so there is a lot of job insecurity as well. The pressure felt relentless and I burnt out quickly. There is no point moving to another position in the company- they put a cap on pay.

It seems that there are some individuals in the organization that are attempting to improve things, but I don't think things will ever get better with the current executive team. They seem ignorant and interested in profit over people.

Advice to Management

Realpage will always be mediocre unless you figure out how to keep talented employees. Growth sheerly through acquisition is unsustainable and short sighted.

Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for your post. I deep dived your situation today with Chris and Ryan who you know and are leaders of the function. So lets tick through your issues. The plan calls for the headcount in ... More

"This place is a joke..."

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll collect a check... Although will probably be underpaid

Cons

Transparency is a big issue with this company. Direction changes every 6 months and management rotates quickly. Issues with management are company wide.... Too many departments lock you down and prevent you from moving up throughout the company unless you know the right people... I worked for at least 5 different managers during my time with Realpage and I'd endorse 1... maybe 2. None at the director level. Too many unqualified leaders hiring unqualified employees in my opinion...

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you for your post. There are bright spots in every company and then there are areas that need more work than others. Apparently you worked in the later. The company as a whole continues to ... More

"Commitment to innovation"

Current Employee - YieldStar Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - YieldStar Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steve Winn truly is committed to growing the organization and outperforming the market, becoming the best possible tools for the clients

Cons

We've grown so much it's difficult to find consistency between products. It's a challenge we are working hard to overcome

Advice to Management

Eliminating the silos between products

Jan 30, 2017

Thank you for your post. You have locked on to a priority that I truly see as getting better now that we have gotten our dev teams under Andrew and our Product teams under William. Then you add in ... More