RealPage Reviews | Glassdoor

RealPage Reviews

Updated February 15, 2017

US - All Cities

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is not a priority either (in 17 reviews)

• Turn over in upper management and constant changing in departments (in 26 reviews)

"Parts of the company are good. Many are not."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The overall company culture is improving.

Competitive pay for incoming employees.

Pay can be good for long-term employees if you know how to negotiate a raise.

The company is growing.

Some departments are great to work in.

Opportunities can be had if you make friends with the right managers.

The company seems to want to improve and working to do so via Employee Engagement Surveys

Cons

1. RealPage does offer competitive pay for starting employees, however many long term employees lose ground compared to incoming ones due to minimal pay increases for in-place talent versus more aggressively increased competitive pay for incoming talent. It's a regular occurrence that in order to get a promotion or raise you have to leave the company for a few months and get re-hired at the position you deserved to begin with.

2. In many parts of the company favoritism is rampant, and several positions are filled by the 'best friend' as opposed to the most qualified person. I personally have not been passed over in this scenario, but I do see it happen regularly.

3. Many mid-level managers pigeon-hole their employees and prevent them from moving forward in their careers because they are "too valuable" where they are. See Con #5.

4. Too many barriers to cooperation among teams, and lack of willingness to simply help. However, this is slowly improving with the re-aligned development team.

5. Too few people in key positions, and little to no backup for those employees that are a single point of failure putting entire products at risk if that employee leaves. This also does not allow employees to move up.

6. In many areas, Management and Leadership try to control information apparently oblivious that in the absence of information the worst is generally assumed, and rumors spread rapidly. Be open. Tell your employees what's going on. If they don't like it and leave because of it, then you didn't string along a frustrated employee and you can openly set expectations for the next employee.

7. Budget and revenue goals are tightly controlled. Many managers in a position to better perform their own jobs and help influence the performance to goal are not equipped to do so due to lack of information or any knowledge of budget goals. Allowing input would be even better.

8. RealPage conducts regular employee surveys. This in and of itself is good. Unfortunately many managers scores are boosted by having friends working for them. Additionally, despite my manager receiving very low scores, no concerted effort has been put forward to improve scores. In fact, results were never shared or discussed with the larger team at all. The whole thing feels like lip-service rather than any real effort in my area; though I see other managers concentrate on this and engage with their employees to improve.

Advice to Management

1. Keep annual targeted employee pay increases in pace with the increases in mid-point for incoming employees.

2. Invest in quality developers. Although offshore developers cost 1/4 to 1/5 of onshore resources, you are getting what you are paying for. A good Dev IV onshore can usually produce twice the amount of work, with significantly less re-work resulting in a lower cost per unit of development work overall.

3. Read the RealPage promise daily. Actually uphold any part of the RealPage Promise to your employees. Also, the first point on the management part of the promise is consistently missed -- at all levels. Let your people do the job they are hired to do. Break the client-facing management team of the habit of over promising what cannot be reasonably delivered.

4. Take care of your employees first. They in turn will do a better job of taking care of your customers. The bottom line will then take care of itself.

5. More people are needed in BA, QA and Dev positions - the ones where people actually build the product. Only consistent hiring seems to be in sales and products cannot improve quickly enough with any level of quality due to consistent under staffing and offshoring Dev and QA to slow and low quality resources.

6. See Con # 6 above. Well informed employees are more equipped to make the right decisions. Decisions made in the absence of information usually lead to bad results.

Dec 26, 2015

Thank you for you post. I can tell that you have given this great thought and truly care about the company. In fact, I am going to take your post and share it with the leadership team. A couple of ... More

"Master Marketing Associate"

Pros

Co-workers are very nice. Good pay and bonus

Cons

The communication is terrible. Management is not very personable.

Nov 18, 2015

Thank you for your post. I appreciate the fact that you recognized your team, good pay and rewards. That sounds like a very good starting point. Now it is obvious that we need to improve the ... More

"Manager"

Pros

Great opportunities if you are looking at the big picture

Cons

Too many people trying to step all over each other to get to the top. Lack of training during on boarding and job descriptions do not necessarily match the actual duties.

Oct 12, 2015

Thank u for your post. Great opportunities if you look at the big picture sounds appealing to most. Not sure how to respond not knowing what function you were in. I do wish you the very best in your ... More

"Used be a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at RealPage (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance sometimes. The people that work there are one of the biggest pros. And HR is trying really hard to make its great place, they have their heart in it but there needs to be a reorganization in other departments.

Cons

RealPage used to be a great place but now nothing gets accomplished. Projects get started with the wrong information which causes so much wasted time. The top people don't know what they are doing. They also don't know how to hire for the roles under them since they don't even know what to look for. Politics, tempers, waisted time and frustration.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top people who don't know what they are doing.

Oct 5, 2015

Thank you for your post and thank you for taking the time to point out that there are several individuals and departments who come to work everyday to make difference. I realize that you have moved ... More

"A lot of Wasted Talent due to Big Egos and Lack of Communication and Strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL

I worked at RealPage full-time

Pros

The perks were pretty good, pay was comparable if you joined the company at the right time. A lot of great employees at the individual contributor level. Fairly flexible work environment. A good resume builder given the amount of responsibility one can potentially be given.

Cons

My department was so top heavy with directors, VPs, SVPS, EVPS, all of whom put their ego before the good of the product, the good of the clients, and the good of their team members. Bandaids and short term fixes were put into place instead of taking a larger look at the product and overall strategy of the department. The product was horribly flawed and buggy but more and more add-ons were being put into place to hit revenue goals instead of taking a closer look the baseline product. Products and launches were often extremely premature causing a catch-up for all departments and consistently upset and disappointed clients. Communication was severally lacking between departments in the same division never mind throughout the company. So many shortsighted acquisitions and fore mentioned "fixes" left the overall atmosphere splintered and disjointed. Middle Managers and individual contributors had so many roles and responsibilities piled on with little to no training causing rampant disorganization and knowledge gaps. Roles were diminished or magnified at the whim upper management in thinly veined attempts to cover their own shortcomings and job performance insecurities. Uncertainty,lack of communication, and constant "restructuring" from top leadership caused an endless feeling of paranoia which only resulted in a low team morale and overall toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Clean house at the executive level and hire component intelligent leaders in both IQ as well as EQ to push your organization forward. Hire managers who understand how to motivate their team using more positive and effective styles than fear mongering, back stabbing, and put downs. Otherwise you will continue to be stuck in a cycle of egomaniacal disfunction that the company or at least the short term rental division currently has.

Oct 5, 2015

Thank you for your post. Noting that your post comes in from Hollywood, Florida, that would suggest you were a part of the vacation business that we acquired and later merged into Kigo, the european ... More

"Unorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first, it seemed like a great place to work at.

Cons

The sense of community faded as people left/were fired until eventually they closed the entire office. Very depressing towards the end.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

Oct 5, 2015

Thank your for your post. A couple of things. 1) We have consolidated our operations on the west coast, and have a presence in the San Francisco and Irvine areas. 2) Its never an easy task to ... More

"Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time

Pros

Pay is relatively good and day one benefits is awesome.

Cons

Micro management!!! The trainers breathe down your neck and critique the smallest detail in the most annoying way possible. U literally have to be perfect or do everything perfect the first go round and there is little room to make a mistake WHILE IN TRAINING. Definitely not for everybody.

Advice to Management

You can't expect people with no sales/marketing experience to hit EVERY single thing their first time on the phone. Expectations are wonderful but it is just TOO much sometimes.

Oct 12, 2015

Thank your for your post. I see that you were a part of our call center team. Glad you liked the pay and benefits. Knowing these positions are on the front line to our customers it is really ... More

"RealPage, Inc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-RealPage has some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet.

Cons

-Constant re-organizations
    -Disorganization
    -Lack of processes
    -Lack of formalized training
    -Silos among product groups
    -Lack of coordinated incentive programs, so other functional groups were working against each other.
    -RealPage does not value its employees
    -Pay was not competitive
    -Increasing salary while at RealPage is virtually impossible, so you eventually have to go somewhere else for more money. They lose good talent/people this way.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

Oct 12, 2015

Thank you for the post. We try real hard to hire great people. I'm glad you experienced some wonderful teammates along the way. In the last two months we have consolidated three divisions into one ... More

"The Culture"

Current Employee - Manager III Technical Support in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Manager III Technical Support in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are Great!

Cons

The culture is not to good, somewhat out of control.

Oct 12, 2015

Thank you for your post. Your post tells me you've been here, you care, not sure what out of control culture means, but I do know that the engagement survey average was 66% positive overall. Let me ... More

"A Lot of Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in The Colony, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at RealPage are a pleasure. My experience with upper management has been great. Working remotely is an option. Base salaries seem above average.

Cons

The culture is not conducive for those employees who think logically, intelligently, generate ideas, and are wanting to improve the status quo. The company is reluctant to adopt necessary change to improve overall business processes, increase customer satisfaction and establish a positive culture. The result is unfortunately a brain drain.

Advice to Management

Talk to one another instead of operating independently

Aug 11, 2015

Thank you for your post. You sound like you have a considerable amount of ideas. I would like to buy you lunch and lets get them on the table. I actually would take some exception to saying the ... More