Receipt Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Receipt Bank Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 75 reviews

3.5
Receipt Bank CEO Adrian Blair (no image)
Adrian Blair
Pros
  • "Receipt Bank has provided me with the opportunity to express myself freely, teach others and be taught by others(in 20 reviews)

• "(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you don’t like working in a fast paced company then this is not the place for you(in 5 reviews)

• "Division and lack of communication between development and service departments, not too bad though and understandable for such a fast growing company(in 4 reviews)

"Account Management"

I have been working at Receipt Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

- All feedback and growth is not only geared for Receipt Bank but for skills that you can take anywhere. - There is freedom to create your own schedule but still having constant contact to keep you on track. Your success is directly related to what you put in and seek out. - Definite "Team" atmosphere with everyone contributing to the same company wide goal. We are competitive with each other but only for the... reason that it is making visible impacts on your movement toward our goals. - Management will cater to your learning style and be there as much as you need. If you put in the effort, you will NOT be left behind.

Cons

- Only con I can think of is there are sometimes mis-communications with software updates or process changes between the different regions (offices) and the Team members.

Advice to Management

- Keep communicating necessary updates/changes to the team in a structured way. - Keep being as resourceful and helpful as you have been, it's awesome!

Receipt Bank2017-03-09

"Heartbroken Over Having to Leave, But No Other Choice"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Receipt Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I cannot overstate the quality of the people I have met at RB, especially those who were part of the hiring push in 2018. It's not a bad product either and quite easy to sell outside of North America. My salary and benefits were industry-standard for the duties listed in my job description. The experience I gained at RB is second to none. Even with insane workload, I spent my first 6 months at Receipt Bank working... in a dream company with my dream colleagues.

Cons

I was directly mislead about my role and its trajectory on a routine basis. This is a pretty common practice at Receipt Bank that you can see reflected in other reviews. Within 30 days of hiring my role did not remotely resemble what I had signed on for. Promises of help or raises simply evaporate or are treated like they never occurred. There is no work life balance at Receipt Bank, and no drive internally to... try to fix this. Schedules of 70+ hours a week would have been understandable in a much earlier stage startup, if employees were provided equity, or if bonuses were offered for this kind of performance. However in a 450 person company it becomes quickly obvious that it is instead a result of poor planning by senior management. Employee basics are frequently neglected - especially those typical to a SaaS company. In the North America office this is due to layoffs of basic staff members without adequate plans in place for support. Paychecks were late, missing hundreds to thousands of dollars in reimbursements, or missing altogether twice in my case. Very young salespeople were having to expense paper towels and coffee. One staff member was forced to expense thousands of dollars at events due to lack of planning by office head management. Many managers have been quickly promoted without the experience or support needed to be effective in their positions. This is the case around the world in every Receipt Bank office. Many align with toxic aspects of the new culture due to having no chance to be set up for success. This lack of empathy manifests in normal behavior in any other SaaS office environment being regarded with mistrust. If Receipt Bank now values employees at every level only when their screens are visible and their bodies are in their seats, don't mislead new hires about that on the new round of job listings.

Advice to Management

Receipt Bank has lost the ethical heart that made it a great place to work. There are no consequences in the culture for violating basic ethical norms. Gaslighting staff is a serious, toxic problem. Showing in actions that ethics matter at Receipt Bank has to come from the top - with real consequences and no matter the employee's title. I am genuinely heartbroken over having to leave. I love Receipt Bank, the... customers, the people in it. But nothing in this review is new to anyone reading it internally. Nothing included is not an item I fought to help fix, to escalate, to sound the alarm about for over a year. People will only stay for so long until they see that nothing they or their leaders have done have changed the situation.

Receipt Bank2019-08-13
  3. "Love my job, not crazy about my boss"

I worked at Receipt Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual work environment and great people to work with.

Cons

Leadership is not the best. They tend to sugarcoat everything and then when things blow up, they put the blame on everyone else.

Advice to Management

Transparency please.

Receipt Bank2019-05-20

"OK company but be cautious"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Receipt Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Surrounded by some very smart people I personally enjoyed working with my team Working from home is encouraged on some teams when needed

Cons

Be aware they recently just laid off almost half (20 people) of their DC office. There is confusion around who can make decisions and responsibilities. Some of the team leaders don’t like to show up to work and that is somehow tolerated. Some of the c suite is toxic and will verbally attack their own team, in front of others. Pay is just ok and sales commission structure is new and bad.

Advice to Management

I don’t know where to start. Hopefully new CEO can turn it around a bit because I do think there is potential!

Receipt Bank2019-04-26

"Overall a good place to work, but protect yourself..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Receipt Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture was very team-oriented when I was there. Coworkers were always willing to help if you ask them and were excited to hear new ideas (and excited to see you bring new ideas to the table). Constant feedback on your performance was incredibly helpful and my growth as a professional was very noticeable. While it can be intimidating at first, if you take it in stride and with a constructive attitude you will... learn a ton. You are given a decent amount of leeway in your process, as long as you are still being effective and meeting goals.

Cons

Favoritism was obvious and a major factor in the high turnover from what I could tell. Saw some people come and go due to "not fitting the culture" but others stayed despite similar behaviors/issues because they got along well with management. They preach a culture of accountability but management can use that against you. You may take heat for something that was beyond your control or because expectations were... not clearly defined. Working in a young and relatively small office can make you feel like you're with friends, which is great, but be careful not to forget these are coworkers who have their own ambitions. Some will not hesitate to point the finger at you when something has gone wrong.

Receipt Bank2017-12-04

"Receipt Bank puts neither their employees or their customers first. "

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Receipt Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Receipt Bank was a great place to work two years ago, when it was a true start up. You will gain experience and receive constant feedback on your performance. Interesting to be in an industry experiencing such rapid change and advancement.

Cons

Recent changes in the product and pricing have created a high-pressure sales environment, with a bait and switch product that leaves customers and the sales team frustrated.   Customers are consistently upset with the product and pricing. Expect to deal with complaints from many customers wanting to cancel within their first month. Employees and management consistently joke about there being no HR department.... Complaints and concerns are consistently brushed off by management, even when brought up multiple times by multiple people. Expect to fight for a doctor's appointment. Expect a culture where lunch breaks are frowned upon, but managers disappear for hours on end. Expect your concerns and personal problems to not be handled confidentially. The majority of leadership is young and inexperienced. While there are one or two golden eggs, none have received formal management training of any kind. Leadership positions often simply serve as an ego boost for those who've made their way into the "boys club" and will follow orders with no question. Misogyny and favoritism are pervasive across the company culture. While you may be told you can control your own schedule, but you are micromanaged at every step. Managers chastise employees in a kindergarten-esque manner.... all while managers fool around on their computer. Expect to bust your butt on the phone while your manager plays Pottermore for hours on end right across from you. Be wary of the commission structure and a guarantee you'll get a raise every 3 months. You won’t. You'll be told high employee turnover is normal in an industry like this. It's not. Be wary of the other reviews on this page, as employees are encouraged to give positive reviews. If you're a white man or interested in being a foot soldier, then this is probably a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Take employee concerns seriously. Invest in an HR Department.

Receipt Bank2017-09-11

Receipt Bank Response

September 28, 2017Head of Talent and Experience

Hi, we are sorry that your journey at RB ended in a negative light. With any start-up there is always going to be growing pains and the culture will evolve, that being said we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to see you go, and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

"Great company for career advancement early on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Receipt Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for a lot of responsibility Great innovative energy and collaboration in the office Opportunity to negotiate your value often Start up environment

Cons

No 401K Start up environment - have to roll with the punches sometimes with processes not being defined, but that's what also makes it a pro

Receipt Bank2017-08-30

"New Business Development"

Current Employee - New Business Development in Washington, DC

I have been working at Receipt Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Receipt Bank has invested time in not only my professional development but also my personal development as well. They have created an energetic environment filled with constant feedback, support, and growth opportunities. I couldn't be happier at Receipt Bank and I'm so glad I made the move over here!

Cons

No downside that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Receipt Bank2017-03-08

"Exciting, fast paced company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Receipt Bank full-time

Pros

+ Collaborative, competitive team atmosphere, you work with a group of highly motivated individuals who are eager to help you learn + Gain wide knowledge of different segments of the sales cycle +Opportunity to develop hard and soft skills - focus on coaching and constant feedback +Reward/Celebrate success +Travel opportunities +Quarterly reviews with an opportunity to negotiate salary

Cons

+ Long hours, can feel like there aren't enough hours to effectively complete/manage all of your tasks +Normal growing pains from growing so rapidly

Advice to Management

+ Keep putting your employees first and the growing pains will be addressed. + Take time to promote collaboration between the different teams in different offices to keep the company cohesive.

Receipt Bank2017-03-09

"Great but Challenging Environment for Growth"

I have been working at Receipt Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Wonderful team members, very helpful - Great mission, impressive software - Great place to learn and develop job experience - Fun but challenging workload

Cons

- Somewhat inconsistent approach to training/standardizing processes - Inconsistent management styles at sometimes

Advice to Management

- Better communication to ensure consistent management initiatives - More all-encompassing training modules for every person under every role

Receipt Bank2017-03-08