Recruit Express Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
J. S. Sim
1 Rating

Pros
  • You learn to work in a very fast paced environment and challenge yourself to think on the feet (in 14 reviews)

• Good working environment and fun colleagues (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work-life balance, as quoted from the management (in 5 reviews)

• The target is unreasonable with long working hours (in 5 reviews)

"New US Division is Sketchy"

I have been working at Recruit Express full-time

Pros

Seems to have understanding people
    want to get things done quick

Cons

I've had my pay getting returned from them
    sketchy orientation process

Nov 20, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. If you would like to share more about your experiences with us, please contact us by emailing to feedback@recruitexpress.com.sg so that we ... More

2. "Dont work here"

I worked at Recruit Express full-time

Pros

Some colleagues were nice which allowed a good Work environment

Cons

The CEO was probably the worst person I have ever met. He is not only rude, but sarcastic and unprofessional when interviewing candidates. When it comes to work, he isnt good either.

Advice to Management

Probably should have him assessed with his work ethics.

3. "Best experience during formative / early years of my career"

Former Employee - Director in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Director in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Recruit Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I joined RE after finishing my university degree and stayed there for 4 years. I was an IT degree graduate and joined the Infocomms Division headed by Yan Ching. She is an impressive leader, manager and hands-on recruitment professional. I learnt all the fundamentals of recruitment in RE. Despite many negative comments, I still rate RE as the single best employer for fresh graduates. It provides a solid, competitive training ground in the areas of recruitment and sales fundamentals. Though some programmes may be a little old school, it still works. And as an organization that helps employers to find talents, RE has some of the brightest and most ambitious, attractive people around. It is a place where there is work, fun, deadlines, KPIs and believe it or not a thriving social life. Many good friends of mine (whom i have known for the past 10 years) started during my stay in RE. I would recommend this job to anyone who likes challenge, is outgoing and keen to get started on an entry level job in Sales.

Cons

The reason I left is to pursue further knowledge in the field of recruitment. I got schooled in the basics here, but looking to hone my craft elsewhere. That is also the reason i rated 4 stars instead of 5. Besides this, the people and the clients were the main reasons that I hesitated before making a change.

Mar 13, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for the review. We are committed to create a conducive and collaborative environment for all our employees and we are glad to hear some of your experiences. We wish you the best in your ... More

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Recruit Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young dynamic environment, highly motivated

Cons

Too much micro management
    Poor employee welfare
    Used shady contract terms against employees

Advice to Management

get your act together. not everyone is motivated in monetary terms.

Mar 13, 2017 – HR Manager

"Join at your own risk"

I worked at Recruit Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Sales position, offers high salary if you are able to hit sales targets
    - Young and energetic people, fresh grads would be able to fit in. Good transition from school to work.
    - gain insights as to what employers are looking for, able to market yourself better in the future
    - one of the easier sales jobs out there, don't need to run about under the sun to meet clients

Cons

- gossipy environment, unsympathetic colleagues & management. Try not to let the people there know too much about your personal things as it will be used as fodder for gossip or judgement on you. These personal info will also be kept as ammunition'to 'shoot' you in the future, should your sales figures ever go down or just for causal gossip.
    - promotes a materialistic and superficial culture, whereby you are judged solely based on your sales figures, what type of house you stay, what school were you from, what car do you drive. Bring in the sales and you will be treated like a god/asset there. No sales and you will be treated worse than dirt. They do not take any reasoning (luck/bad economy) into consideration, you are the one at fault for your poor performance and they will tell you that straight to your face.
    - unfair treatment towards different employees. If you are in a strong and supportive team with helpful leaders, life won't be as difficult for you. If you suay suay got placed into a weak team or a team with selfish/bad leaders, then is really good luck to you. Struggle like hell on your own and don't expect them to help you. Get the sales in if not they wont be kind to you as well.
    - there is a minimum target to hit, which is to cover your so-called "cost" to the organization. It is calculated based on your basic salary. If you fail to cover your cost, basic salary deduction will occur. 20% of your salary will be deducted.
    - poor work process and office equipment. 2-3 people share a computer which hasn't been updated since 2013. 2-3 people share a telephone too. Junior employees are not allowed to have their own computer or email addresses. Only when you bring in enough sales for the organization then you will be confirmed and only then, you will get your own email with your own name. This is also extremely ridiculous becuase they expect you to do telesales to potential client with a generic email. Not sure how they expect the employees to attain trust with clients by using an email that doesn't even have their name on it.
    - backward management, thinking that they are still in the early 2000's and everything is still as easy as back in 2005. The amount of competition (between colleagues and other recruitment agencies) has increased so much, it's no longer as easy as just throwing resumes at clients and you will get sales. But apparently that is what they think you should do
    - cut-throat competition between colleagues. You need to compete with your colleagues working on the same roles, other recruitment agencies as well as candidates who applied directly to get the sales. IN addition, insincere and rude clients are daily occurrences too.
    - strictly no MC or urgent leave policy. Of course they give the benefit to you on paper, but they will use peer pressure and "conform to our work culture" to force employees to not take Mcs or urgent leave. Coming to work with a high fever or in rare cases, nose bleeds are commonly heard of, likewise, don't expect sympathy or gratitude as well. It is "expected" of you, to remain 'committed to work'. No such thing as work-life balance, as quoted from the management. If you dare to take an mc, be prepared to face black faces from your leaders the next day
    - dirty, dusty, old and tattered work stations and environment. The place is so dirty and dusty, it's easy to fall sick within the first few months of work, as well as due to overworking. They really work you to the bone and squeeze you dry.

I could go on and on, but really this is just from my point of view. There are people who are happy working here, able to earn the money and able to accept all those as listed above. It's really, join at your own risk. But those people who can do so has been working there since the 2000's, basically the pioneer batch when there was not much competition still. It is not the same nowadays.

Advice to Management

Do something for your employee's welfare, they are your greatest asset. While the management do remind us on a daily basis that we can earn a lot of money here, a company which cares about employee welfare do touch employees' hearts and through this, secure loyalty as well. Basic things like a better office environment or individual email addresses can be easily attained and it will really make more employees want to stay.

Jan 23, 2017 – HR Manager

"Temp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Recruit Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn to work in a very fast paced environment and challenge yourself to think on the feet. Also, you get to build on your communication skills, as most of the time, you will be talking to candidates, trying to match them to a job they would want. Through this experience, I became more sociable.

Cons

Too sales oriented. Sometimes you feel that you end up pressuring people to take up jobs that might not be suitable for them. Also, the pay is very little for the amount of effort you put in.

Advice to Management

Probably to emphasise more on quality in order to build reputation so that customers return for repeated sales. They pay given to candidates are also too little to be competitive in the industry. Work processes within Recruit Express are also too manual. Many things can be automated to increase efficiency.

Jan 30, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. If you would like to share more about your experiences with us, please contact us by emailing feedback@recruitexpress.com.sg so that we can ... More

"Recruit Express Malaysia - Real scenario"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Recruit Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Fun colleagues
    -Strategic office location at Bukit Bintang
    -Can learn about a lot of things in recruitment

Cons

-very manual based company with a lot of paperwork and no system or database to store candidate details
    -call candidates just to collect database although there is no real vacancy
    -need to share PC with other consultants and no proper workstation
    -not transparent in terms of incentives calculation (consultants do not know the formula)
    -commission to consultant will not get paid if the client pays after 3rd month
    -very high target set and will have paycut 20% if you didn't hit the target
    -a lot of people wont stay long in the company and the turnover rate is very high
    -expect you to stay back and have the typical mentality (the longer you stay back, the more hardworking you are). Some people just stay back doing nothing at office because they want to escape the traffic jam
    -lady boss that like to judge and sometimes look down on other people.
    -Currently only have 5 consultants.

Advice to Management

Change. Have you ever heard about Nokia story? They 'dissapear' because they refuse to change.

Jan 23, 2017 – HR Manager

9. "HR Coordinator"

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Orchard (Jamaica)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Orchard (Jamaica)

Pros

Supportive team based culture and inclusive environment for one to learn and grow

Cons

Sales based culture can be stressful as one has to constantly meet targets. However this is part and parcel of the job and one should adapt and change one's mentality to get the most of of their experience with Recruit Express

Advice to Management

The HR team was very efficient in processing our salaries in making sure we received them on time. Thank you HR!

Nov 20, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear some of your experiences and are committed to create a collaborative and conducive environment for all our employees. We appreciate your sharing.

10. "Feedback"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Recruit Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning ground, start from basic, learn from scratch
    You have to self-motivated and perserve to do better
    Good colleagues

Cons

At the end of the day, this is still a sales job

Advice to Management

Give more benefits to internal employees. They are your biggest asset. Advocate a better working work life balance

Nov 20, 2016 – HR Manager

11. "Great People and Performance Driven Environment"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Orchard (Jamaica)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Orchard (Jamaica)

Pros

I've been with Recruit Express for more than 6yrs and counting. The people here are great with similar goals - to excel in our work. With similar goals, team move ahead and far together, and together teams celebrate and enjoy the rewards.This is why i truly enjoy working here in Recruit Express. Asked any of our current or even ex-employees who have been with RE for at least 3 years or so,they would agree on the same thing too.

Cons

Unlike MNCs, our work environment is more functional focus rather than design-centric.

Advice to Management

To review and improve on our some of our benefits scheme - perhaps introduction of flex-benefits to cater to different employees needs