Recurly Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 32 reviews

3.6
Recurly CEO Dan Burkhart
Dan Burkhart
  1. "A supportive and motivating environment to work"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recurly full-time

Pros

I’ve been extremely impressed with the breadth of knowledge displayed by every team member I’ve spoken with/ collaborated with since I’ve joined Recurly. This is coupled with a tangible level of emotional IQ and empathy showcased by my coworkers, and these ‘human’ traits are exhibited and cultivated to a degree that is quite rare among Bay Area tech companies. The company has undertaken some major initiatives over... the last year and there’s some great energy as the momentum from these initiatives is coming to fruition. The level of engagement required ‘after hours’ totally varies by role, outside of support roles specifically, this also seems to be very manageable and way above-par of the ‘on-call’ style of email/slack that a lot of companies have built their culture upon. At the very least, I felt expectations were set accurately for me prior to joining. Even compared to a previous role where I felt there was already a decent balance outside of work, I’ve been very grateful for the way that hard work is respected and noticed here.

Cons

Nothing unique to Recurly. We're a tech company in the Bay Area, things can get competitive and everyone wants to grow quickly, without sacrificing quality or happiness along the way.

Advice to Management

Rock on.

Recurly2019-08-01

"Striving for Mediocrity in an Environment of Indifference"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great colleagues at the peer level - Flexible time off policy - Dog friendly - Catered meals once a day - Not the worst place I've worked

Cons

- High turnover - Inexperienced management (years under your belt don’t always equal hands-on experience) - Culture is dying - No incentive to succeed or work hard - Low motivation and low morale

Advice to Management

Stop asking employees for their input on how to improve and then continue with the status quo, it’s demoralizing and worse than not being asked at all. Start acknowledging issues across ALL departments instead of selecting scapegoats.

Recurly2019-08-20
  3. "Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Recurly full-time

Pros

Recurly presents lots of opportunity to seize responsibility and be recognized for doing so. The genuine adoption of constant iteration as a core value enables new recruits to make significant impacts on the company very early in their tenure and they are encouraged to do so. The culture at Recurly is great and it seems there is a "No A**holes" policy even if that isn't specifically inscribed in our company... values. My colleagues are genuinely pleasant to work with. The executive team presents a compelling vision for the company and gets me excited for the future. Upper management takes responsibility for any missteps in direction and is transparent about changes made in response. Catered lunches and breakfast is an everyday occurrence (3 days lunch, 2 days breakfast). Compensation is decent even though the benefits aren't spectacular (no 401k match for example). All around, Recurly is a great place to work.

Cons

-No 401k match -Competition is increasing in the subscriptions space

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Recurly2019-08-01
  4. "Exciting!"

Current Employee - Senior Director Technical Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hottest thing in fintech right now! I really like working at a fast-growing company with lots of highly intelligent co-workers, top talent is here and it's exciting! The leadership team here really cares about the employees and the product. Caring for customers is at the core of the company. Fantastic benefits, and a great culture! I like being able to work from home. Hard work is rewarded here. There is... an excitement in the air that is contagious - you can feel the energy and we are here to win! I am super proud to be a Recurly employee and be part of this great team delivering unexpectedly amazing customer experiences.

Cons

none really... it really is pretty amazing here!

Advice to Management

keep being transparent and pushing goals driving the business forward!

Recurly2019-07-26
  5. "Still loving it here!"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is still fun & festive, product/tech continues to evolve, exec team ethical and transparent

Cons

Like any tech company worth it's weight, too much to do in too little time!

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for accountability. Take risks for more growth!

Recurly2019-07-22
  6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have always enjoyed the people working at Recurly. The company culture puts customers first, and management consistently backs it up when tough decisions are required. This is empowering for employees to know that our company isn't just focused on growing at all costs... This company cares about building long term customer relationships.

Cons

There is always more work to be done than we have capacity to handle. Its a reality that forces constant prioritization

Advice to Management

Push harder to reward top performers. Need stronger reasons to meet/exceed goals.

Recurly2019-07-20
  7. "Terrific Culture, Motivated Co-Works, Opportunity for Learning & Growth"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Open and honest culture - Great opportunity to bring value to customers and create new business models - Staff has a wide variety of backgrounds and hobbies - Lots of opportunity for growth and learning

Cons

- Change is a constant -

Recurly2019-07-17
  8. "Best Opportunity In Boulder"

Current Employee - Engineering in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Recurly full-time for less than a year

Pros

After being an Engineer for over a decade my next move needed to be self-fulfilling, challenging, and at a great culture. Recurly fit the shoe on this one. * I'm challenged on a daily basis in a complex industry (Payments) with unique challenges. * The ideas I have to improve the company are respected by my boss and have become realities very easily * The company is at its most exciting stage - post Series B,... where you flip to focus on making a bigger market splash and prove capital independence. * My coworkers are great to collaborate with and ideate technical solutions * The culture is welcoming and full of events in and out of the office * The perks are great for all flavors of life (family, kids, etc.) I interviewed at over 40 companies in Boulder and this was the one I landed for the reasons above. I really love it here.

Cons

* It's a double-edged sword being integrated with so many APIs -- lots of code maintenance required, but the company markets well

Advice to Management

* Would be exciting to encourage individuals to work in other satellite offices more often * While the perks are excellent, go further and provide a unique perk to make Recurly stand out from other companies (e.g. "Have you heard that Recurly lets their employees ___? I want to work there!")

Recurly2019-07-15
  9. "An amazing place to sell"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've enjoyed my time selling Recurly's platform regularly to well known brands. I wouldn't say it sells itself, but there are obvious differentiators between Recurly and the competition that make it much easier to choose Recurly. The people here are great. Both the Boulder and SF offices are a ton of fun. I would recommend any salesperson considering joining Recurly to do so.

Cons

The space is getting highly competitive, especially at the SMB level. But Recurly still holds it's own at the enterprise level.

Recurly2019-07-15

"The company can't compete anymore"

Current Employee - Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Recurly full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you don’t care about doing your job well or being part of a team that succeeds, you can get away with not working very hard for a free lunch.

Cons

The company has been unsuccessful at achieving their next round of funding. They have been unable to meet sales numbers. They have huge tech debt. You will spend much time working on projects that will eventually be canned. The strategy is all over the place. There is little room for growth. The culture is backstabbing. The turnover rate is crazy high.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting lazy people just because they are your friends. Also stand up for employees who are harassed and mistreated.

Recurly2019-07-11