RecycleBank LLC. Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Javier Flaim

"Had a great vision..."

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Founding team and early culture was exactly what you want in a startup; there were challenges but also respect, an attitude of doing it together and real teamwork. There was true creativity at play but it was never fully realized.

Cons

As CEO was replaced, as more than 75+ people were hired, and as new CEO brought his management in, things changed, the vision was more than muddied, resulting in lackluster results and then layoffs, huge shifts in priority and mediocre partnerships. Team heads were replaced and the old guard was mostly pushed out - the soul of the organization walked out with those people.

Advice to Management

Pivots are one thing as you look at opportunities, but brand dilution and culture dilution are real.

2. "Inspirational Team of Great People"

Former Employee - Community Liaison in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Community Liaison in Atlanta, GA

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, super smart team, terrific opportunities to grow your career.

Cons

Lot's of travel within your region.

3. "Join a great growing team....."

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, super smart team, terrific opportunities to gain responsibility, try out new functions and grow your career. Plus being a mission driven firm is a big bonus. Every start-up has it's growing pains, but overall the work life balance is good and the business and team is growing.

Cons

Can't say there isn't a long night or weekend spent working here or there - but the work is rewarding and it's a good feeling when you're contributing to the big wins.

"Run for your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Data Entry Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for a good cause of recycling, benefits are okay, working in Center City Philadelphia (Downtown)

Cons

Not the best place to work....constant layoffs, constant promises, unfriendly and rude environment, the HR people from NY are the most nastiest people ever!

"Dead horse, stop beating it."

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feel good about the mission of the company.

Cons

No real business direction, no chance at profitability. Senior management focussed on covering their own hides and not on creating an environment of collaboration and growth. No sense of community beyond lowest levels of employees, every man / woman for him/herself. Dishonest senior management.

Advice to Management

Throw in the towel. You have failed.

7. "A tough road for a great idea"

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The original team had a great vision for the company.

Cons

Lack the understanding of their customer. 4 million members? Ha!

8. "Great Culture! Great Benefits! Great People!"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Recyclebank we all believe that a great culture helps people deliver their best work. Recyclebank offers a stellar medical, dental, vision package, commuter benefits, gym reimbursement, a minimum of fifteen days vacation; competitive pay, stock options, a relaxed work environment, etc. In addition, We are encouraged to take one paid volunteer day each quarter and donate our time and services to a charity of our choice. As a company, the entire team volunteers together in recognition of Earth Day each April 22.

Cons

There are no cons worth mentioning.

"Great idea, some really quality co-workers, terrible cut-throat management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

-Most (if not all) of my direct (and indirect) co-workers were genuine, hard working people. We had a team mentality, and would take the time to help each other on different projects, or just offer advice when needed. Bravo to the middle people who are helping each other out.
    - Good mission

Cons

-I can't say I'm shocked to see that MAJOR lay offs are still occurring. How many major lay offs does a company need in just three years?
    -It's not just the little guys who get fired. Whoever said that it's a small group of people calling the shots is right, they toss associates and SVP's out the door in the blink of an eye.
    -The only time I have seen people get promoted is after someone else has been fired.
    -Very speech heavy

Advice to Management

Get new upper management.

"So much potential but lacking competent leadership"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a relaxed atmosphere at Recyclebank which is very welcoming. The majority of the people are easy to work with but there are definitely some difficult personalities as well. The major draw of this place is that you're working to do something good for the planet. Not many companies can boast that they're in it for the greater good but that's where the pros end unfortunately.

Cons

While at Recyclebank, I worked in the marketing department. It's a tight-knit group which can be very cliquey. The team lacks a focus and the marketing direction changed several times over the course of a two year period while I was there. This made it very hard to see how our efforts were impacting the online and offline communities. There were several leadership changes and even two rounds of layoffs while I was there. One of those layoffs was pretty major - where about a quarter of the workforce was let go. I didn't feel like my job was very secure or that my role in the company was valued. Many of the senior leadership team have bounced around the company - from being the VP of product to the VP of Data so this is a common occurrence. Because of this some unqualified people have been moved into middle/senior management positions that they should not be in. I didn't feel as though my immediate manager had the knowledge or skill set to help me or the team grow. For example, my manager suggested using the incorrect program to create a layout of a webpage - something that is basic knowledge that someone in this position should have before getting the job.

There are lots of late nights at this company as well and the marketing team does more than their fair share of the work to keep the ship running. The management can often be heard saying that it's because it's a startup and this is how startups are. Employees are not seen as assets at Recyclebank but rather as disposable bodies that are performing a task so burnout and turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to middle management's qualifications before hiring, shuffling people around or promoting anyone. To get a better grasp of day to day activities and morale of the group 360 reviews could be conducted to get a sense of how managers are doing.

"Heavy on speechs, light on strategy"

I worked at RecycleBank LLC. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

•You get the chance to make a measurable difference.
    • Great work / life balance.

Cons

Oy.
    •Tech team is a serious drag on the rest of the company. Innovation is non-existent.
    •Exec team talks a huge, huge game, but doesn't demonstrate any real leadership or vision beyond cheerleading.
    •Responsibilities of young, cheap employees are frequently shifting around without any real consideration for their experience and not given any guidance or leadership. In fact, employees are shifted around without any consideration for their strengths or weaknesses. They're bodies, not assets.
    •Staffing decisions border on moronic.
    •Zero chance for real promotion.

Advice to Management

Get involved in the day to day more,. Instead of being so pre-occupied with selling the company or taking it public, find a strategy for the future, create a winning product and then your exit will appear.