Red Antler Reviews

Updated Jun 8, 2020

3.3
Red Antler CEO JB Osborne (no image)
JB Osborne
  1. "The most valuable experience you can have"

Former Employee - Client Team in New York, NY

I worked at Red Antler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people there are incredible and not driven by egos, which is unique in the agency business. Also, there is no other agency where you can have so much exposure to brilliant entrepreneurs and high-growth businesses. There is an increasing amount of corporate work that is actually interesting as well--essentially fortune 500 companies who are trying to launch new products, services, etc. and want to tap into the start-up DNA of Red Antler. At a high-level, you'll be able to leave here with intricate knowledge around what it takes to launch a business, what things cost, and who you'll need on your team--you learn about not only building brands from an identity and messaging point of view, but website design and development, production/content, advertising, industrial design (packaging, interiors, etc.), and performance marketing.

Cons

Volume! Part of the appeal is the amount of work that you'll be exposed to. But obviously the flip side is that you're not able to always focus on 1 or 2 things and instead are always trying to figure out how to prioritize.

"You're just a number"

I worked at Red Antler full-time

Pros

Incredible talent and exciting work

Cons

Favoritism exists at this company, so it can affect how you're treated and the level of respect you receive at this company. Don't be expected to be treated fairly. At the end of the day, you're just a number to leadership, helping them produce profit. Expect long weekends and days. Work life balance can be nonexistent at times when working here. Depending on who you're working with, your hard work will get thrown under the rug without recognition, unless you're favored by your team. Pay and benefits are poor. Most of the times, you have to pick up side projects and do freelance work to make ends meet while working here. People do talk behind your back and undermine your character here, so if you're hoping to get direct and honest feedback this place is not it.

Continue reading

"Cannot say enough good things about these guys"

Former Freelancer - Freelance User Experience Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Red Antler for more than a year

Pros

I loved it at Red Antler. I was a freelancer, but there for a long time. These guys are simply the best in the space. I've been to tons of different shops and agencies, and no where else does it better. There are small process kinks here and there, but overall the process is so much tighter here than everywhere else. The clients were all great to work with, and there is a decent amount of autonomy there, if you're willing to step up and take charge on projects. The people are all great too. There were very few egos, and lots of fun to be had. Everyone I met there was smart, friendly, and great to work with. The leadership is awesome, Emily Heyward is the smartest person I've met in a long time and really nails it on the strategy front. On top of that, she' super charismatic and friendly and personally invests a ton of time and energy into each client she works with. The same goes to the other partners, who I know put in a lot of energy and effort into keeping the business high-touch. I get asked a lot about what it was like working there, and I consistently say that it was great. They've produced some of the best brands out there and are the best at what they do.

Cons

A few process kinks here and there that they're ironing out but still a great process overall.

"Operations"

I worked at Red Antler full-time

Pros

Ideal environment for a creative. The people are great. Create very cool brands!

Cons

Operationally, this place is a mess. No process, staffing is a nightmare and it doesn't help that they are primarily using freelancers.

"Great Creative Potential, Good People"

I have been working at Red Antler full-time

Pros

Working with start-ups where you have control over the entire brand. Generally great design chops. Good people, not a ton of egos.

Cons

Tiny budgets, lightning fast timelines, lots of stakeholders, Client team needs work.

Continue reading

"Good Work, Very Cliquey"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Red Antler

Pros

Red Antler makes beautifully inspired work, with some cool, thoughtful designers

Cons

I was paid very, very little. The culture was very cliquey and exclusionary. Not welcoming and very 'hipster'

Continue reading

"Made me hate being a designer"

1.0
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at Red Antler full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were awesome that weren't in upper lever positions or management It made me learn that I will never work in an agency again

Cons

Aside from the obvious lack of management at this agency, the main problem I had working there was the fact that they made me hate being a designer. The projects have insane timelines that don't allow for any collaboration, or brainstorming for that matter. It feels like they only take clients now because of money, not because they actually care about the work — and yet we were all underpaid for the amount of work we were doing there. Projects would get derailed last minute by upper level management and therefor we would have to stay until 4am, or on weekends changing things. There is no ability to grow in this company, and even with persistent meetings with my superiors and HR there was no room for growth in the almost 2 years that I was there. There is also a huge lack of diversity, and the 3 creative directors, and 6 design directors were all white males. That all being said, maybe if the work coming out of this agency was even good it would have been tolerable, but it wasn't. In the end my job title should have been "A person who makes shiny PDFs".

Continue reading

"Great place for young creative professionals"

Strategy in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Red Antler for more than a year

Pros

- You'll laugh everyday - Team is quick, fun, creative, and lighthearted - Clients are passionate, projects are high energy - Work is alive in the world, not conceptual - Diverse team with diverse perspectives - Fresh thinking that challenges tradition - Cross disciplinary team that works as one - Inspiring leadership team that is accessible - Brilliant head of strategy - Be yourself environment leads to better work - Open, casual office - Pups

Cons

- Professional development can be a challenge: flat structure and lack of performance metrics make it hard to understand your growth path - Pay can be below average (just the nature of working with smaller co's) - Politics can become an issue when asserting yourself higher up the chain

Continue reading

"Cool agency with positive energy and interesting clients"

I worked at Red Antler full-time

Pros

RA is an agency that works in large part with startups in mid-growth stages or later along with some older brands looking to evolve. They're probably most famous for their work with Casper, among others. Almost all clients have positive momentum and come to RA to work with a modern agency - as a result, clients are really willing to listen, take risks and evolve, rather than making decisions out of fear. Because of that, it's a great place to do cool work - if you're a creative, designer or strategist, there are especially exciting opportunities. Process is strategic, but not overly bogged down in theory. Ultimately, this is a creative-led shop that is focused on making sure all work represents the agency and the client really well. Agency is completely independent and founders are focused and involved in all day-to-day work. Work/life balance is respected and founders know they have to focus on profitability, but they care about culture and employee growth - lots of learning and social opportunities.

Cons

Process can be a bit hectic as a result of growth, but they are aware of it and working through putting some new things in place.

"Fun place to learn and work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Red Antler

Pros

Great culture, great people, not overly corporate

Cons

long working hours, heavy work load

Found 16 reviews