Red Antler Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2021

3.2
Red Antler CEO JB Osborne (no image)
JB Osborne
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

One-of-a-kind place

Apr 14, 2021 - Strategist in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Full of magically creative people, all of whom are at the top of their field - Management is hands-on, kind, and willing to adapt as needed -People/culture-first philosophy (I didn't know you could laugh this much at work) -Attracts top clients, so you're always working on compelling brands -Ahead of the curve in terms of business model and clients

Cons

Things move fast! You have to be hungry for the challenge of working on many projects at once

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of great clients to partner with

Apr 6, 2021 - Client Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many interesting new businesses you get exposed to at Red Antler. So if you are curious about helping some of the most innovative startups, you will find that and grow your chops as a consultant for them, through the lens of compelling brand experiences. The job really puts you at a unique intersection of business building and creative communications, and having the client variety keeps things stimulating and fun. It also helps clients benefit from the knowledge you build or soak up across industries and growth stages. So whether it's a consumer lifestyle brand, FinTech, or B2B, there are best practices that you will form and find relevant for many clients' needs, making you smarter and better. It's also very cross disciplined internally so you get to learn from many smart folks working on your projects and be a key lead driving consensus and results for your clients.

Cons

The needs of startups change quickly and Red Antler adapts accordingly. Not an explicit con but it's good to be prepared for rapid process changes / iteration. Ask lots of questions along the way to ensure you are in sync with evolving needs and expectations!

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Gold Standard for Brand

Apr 13, 2021 - Strategy Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work with smart, fun, and talented people always on the pulse of what's next. In addition to collaborating with fantastic teammates and clients, I had the opportunity to work closely with both RA Founders, which was game-changing for the way I think, write, and work. I spent most of my 20s at Red Antler and couldn't have been happier.

Cons

Create your own growth trajectory (can be seen as a pro or con!)

4. 1.0

A mess

Mar 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

You’ll get to work on a lot of interesting brands in a collaborative environment. You’ll also be exposed to a wide range of tools and technologies. There’s dogs in the office if you’re into that.

Cons

The project timelines had a trend of getting shorter while the technical complexity grew larger. There was constant pressure both directly and indirectly to be working overtime (which of course was unpaid), despite a message from upper management of “believing in work/life balance”. Expect feedback at all the wrong times undoing days if not weeks worth of work. QA can also be grueling as there isn’t a defined process and it usually becomes extra development time. Often times features or functionalities were sold to a client before even having a chance to validate if they were possible, to say nothing of the actual dev estimates of those features. Overall, there was a lack of any sort of engineering culture or awareness at the upper management level. It very much felt like a tacked on service that Red Antler offered that was disconnected from the experience as a whole.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stick to what you know best

Mar 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting brands and startups - Working along very talented designers

Cons

There are plenty. First and for most, the company culture pushes people to work late nights and weekends indirectly due to the insane deadlines they put on projects. The founders and upper management mention from time to time to not work outside normal hours but the projects always seem to have a crazy deadlines that leaves you with no option but to work late nights and weekends so it's very contradicting. Now on to the main problems, There is no attention at all given to engineering. As an engineer, you will get treated as a third class citizen on projects by getting surprised with designs the client has already approved which may include elements and animations that are not achievable in the given timeline which you haven't even set, yet the PMs will expect you to just jump on development without getting any feedback from the engineering team or do any planning. None of the designs take accessibility or best practices in mind when it comes to SEO, user friendly UI, etc. The goal is to always have plenty of fancy scroll animations, huge bold sentences in heavy fonts, video backgrounds, etc. There is hardly any thought that goes into performance when making these designs. Since development is given so little attention from upper management and project managers, there isn't any opportunity to make a case that things have to be redesigned or built in a certain way to perform well on wide range of devices. You're expected to take any given designs the design team comes up with and just jump straight to coding it. The approach used here is mostly water fall but not even followed properly. Now let's talk about Quality Assurance (QA)...there is basically none here. The company charges clients for quality assurance phase however since we're constantly working under very tight deadlines that are not realistic, there is hardly any time to do QA in the time we're supposed to do it in. Instead, we end up fixing bugs that were left behind from dev sprints, only to find out that the client has requested something completely new that needs to be implemented within 2 days before launch and there are no designs for this new feature, you might get lucky if they give you a sketch via google docs but no wireframes or zeplin files to show layout grid, pixel values, spacing, etc. You're expected to guess that from google doc sketches somehow and you can't delay because the launch is 2 days away. Multiple people on the engineering team have brought up the necessity of hiring someone to do quality assurance and testing for projects since we don't have the capacity to do it and although there was mutual agreement between everyone, it eventually was forgotten and swept under the carpet. In terms of recognition, there is none! Every week, the company held a status meeting where they gave shout outs and recognition to different team members for their hard work. For over a year, not once has the any of the engineers ever been recognized for the crazy amount of work they put us through. Lastly, it's very clear that the company doesn't have any desire to push forward with engineering in terms of projects and scale. They just want to do the typical Shopify builds and not encourage a culture of engineering where there are opportunities to come up with new ideas and innovations to help the organization stand out and build projects at larger scale. This is probably why they lost their entire engineering team twice or three times within 2-3 years. Not a place for growth or development.

1 person found this review helpful

Recruitment Lead

Thank you for this feedback. We do need to do better for our engineers and we are very much working on it. In order to truly bring a brand to life, we need better connections across the team. We have recently brought on a fractional CTO to help us better incorporate Engineering as a practice and to guide us in how we can best support this very important team.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Overall

Feb 24, 2021 - Brand Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work opportunities. Fun culture.

Cons

Many people are stretched too thin

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Beware, it’s not what it appears to be

Jan 30, 2021 - Client Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced environment with like-minded people

Cons

One of the most incompetent management teams in the industry. So much group think that nothing gets done. Most brands that have retained Red Antler ultimately change at least half of the deliverables created by Red Antler because most of their strategies are disjointed and incongruent.

8 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Lead

I am so sorry you had such a hard experience here. We are very proud of our work and relationships with our clients. It sounds like we weren’t a fit for you, but we do appreciate your feedback.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work Environment

Jan 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Consistently surrounded by creative and intelligent people Career Growth x5

Cons

Work/Life Balance was a bit difficult to navigate

9. 2.0

Save yourself

Feb 10, 2021 - General
    Business Outlook

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

I agree with the comment about it being completely disorganized. You will have zero work life balance, and nothing is good enough for this team.

3 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Lead

I am really sorry you had such a poor experience but really appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. Work/life balance is important to us and it’s always a challenge in our fast-paced environment. Here are a few things we are doing to get better. First, we have someone who looks closely at timesheets in real-time so we can track actual hours worked against the projections we set at the beginning of a project. We have also changed our people and culture platform’s check-ins to ask “Does your workload feel manageable?” so that we can address how people feel and work toward offering relief as soon as someone flags it. We are a work in progress but our intentions are to always keep doing better for our team. This feedback helps, so thank you.

10. 2.0

You're just a number

Jun 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible talent and exciting work

Cons

Favoritism exists at this company, so it can affect how you're treated and the level of respect you receive at this company. Don't be expected to be treated fairly. At the end of the day, you're just a number to leadership, helping them produce profit. Expect long weekends and days. Work life balance can be nonexistent at times when working here. Depending on who you're working with, your hard work will get thrown under the rug without recognition, unless you're favored by your team. Pay and benefits are poor. Most of the times, you have to pick up side projects and do freelance work to make ends meet while working here. People do talk behind your back and undermine your character here, so if you're hoping to get direct and honest feedback this place is not it.

8 people found this review helpful