Red Bee Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Patrick Tillieux

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Drives you sort of mental, but there's free coffee"

Former Employee - Subtitler
    Former Employee - Subtitler

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The staff are a wonderful collection of varied human beings, each of whom will impress you in some way or another, mostly because everyone has a conspicuous level of education behind them. They are cool cats.
     - The management have your back when it matters most. I've never been treated with more respect than at RBM. Sure, they won't drop everything to accommodate every leave request, but they're there when you need them and good at what they do.
     - You can legit spend your breaks watching Game of Thrones in a small booth by yourself, where nobody can see what you're doing, if you feel like it.
     - The amount of your life you will waste on watching Deal or No Deal will ensure that you find a way to escape television subtitling, whether or not that seems like something you'd want at the start.
     - If you're a subtitler, you'll work in an enclosed space by yourself, with a computer, a TV, and headphones. This means chair-dancing while you work.
     - There are no blocked websites, because research necessitates access to all sorts of content. This means you are free to peruse your favoured social media, news outlets, and forums at leisure. Everyone in there is doing this at least 70% of the time, so don't worry about it.

Cons

- Absolute, complete, far and away, seriously the actual worst capacity for tech I have ever seen.
     - Seriously, the internet didn't work half the time.
     - You will have to watch hours and hours of Deal or No Deal in slow motion.
     - Norwich has its own BBC news slots, and my oh my, you'll have to subtitle them. I can't explain why that's a con without getting into technical details, but trust me, it's bad.
     - There are various promotion opportunities, but they all lead to jobs that look horrendous.
     - It's difficult to go into the kitchen without encountering people who seem to possess a pathological hatred for the company and everything it does, but if you just remember that their hate is the product of years and years of Deal or No Deal, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

2. "Large Broadcaster"

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time

Pros

Large size and great teams

Cons

Not much really. Not many global opertunities.

"Horrible place"

Current Employee - Subtitler in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Subtitler in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Red Bee Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. Free fruit...free water.

Cons

Absolutely horrific place. Management and Team Leaders allowed to work hours that suit them, but other staff forced to work inhuman hours for very meagre pay. This job will not allow you to have a relationship outside of work, working 50 hours a week and finishing at midnight every night of the week is part of the rota and never to be questioned...of course, the management finish at 5pm and go home to their families/partners. You do not get paid more for working unsociable hours and simply get told, "it's part of the rota."
    Managment are aloof, bloated and inept. If the company wants to save money, how about removing them instead of lowering and freezing pay for the subtitlers who actually produce the subtitles.
    There is now a very toxic air in the office. More and more experienced subtitlers looking to leave, the inept and uninspiring management are still around and taking their large salaries.

Advice to Management

Treat subtitlers with some respect. If you want to improve targets then get in the trenches and help. Start working on files like everyone elese.

4. "Great company with global opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, fantastic company culture, positive environment to work in, plenty of opportunities for career progression and diversification. Good vacation allowance and benefits.

Cons

None I can think of right now. It can be difficult to get a foot in the door but when you're in there are plenty of opportunities. Quite high turnover of management staff, although they are all of a good quality.

"You'll struggle to find a less diverse place to work."

Former Employee - Subtitler in Ealing, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Subtitler in Ealing, England (UK)

I worked at Red Bee Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

Few, if any. Free fruit.

Cons

Stagnant career progression. Brutal targets. Dreadful work/life balance. Awful management. Dismal work environment.

Advice to Management

Try to identify where the company's real value resides.

6. "Production Coordinator"

I have been working at Red Bee Media full-time

Pros

Great company ethos, friendly approach and very supportive to the employee's growth and well being.

Cons

Being located in West London, you feel slightly disconnected to the rest of the creative industry which is closer to centre

"Webmaster"

Former Employee - Webmaster in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Webmaster in London, England (UK)

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good workplace, modern technology, location

Cons

Lack of awareness for people with disability

Advice to Management

Need more empathy and gives support, find alternatives rather than giving warnings / threats.

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Culture is negative and draining.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture is liberal and trust people

9. "-"

Pros

Good place go work for

Cons

Nothing particularly bad to say about

"Same old... But excellent Opportunities when you leave."

Former Employee - I Forget in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - I Forget in London, England (UK)

Pros

It is a very interesting and challenging technical environment, with massive opportunities for learning, which can be applied somewhere it may be appreciated.

Cons

Because of continuing financial issues far more is demanded of employees than it is reasonable to expect in terms of operational deadlines. Which is why some of the best have left. If one expects more then the extra effort must be rewarded, and currently, it isn't.

As others have indicated, management couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery.

And, cut down on the bureaucracy. I mean you unequivocally lie about the necessity of time sheets. Makes one wonder what else management misrepresents...

Advice to Management

Please, Get a clue, please, because currently you don't. RB was Great, and might be again, but not a chance under Ericsson, judging by what I've seen so far.