Red Hat Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 15, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Open source products and acquihires are poorly or slowly integrated (in 61 reviews)

• More importantly at least for me: The amazing culture and work life balance more than made up for any doller that I might have been sacrificing (in 18 reviews)

"Suffers from Major Dysfunction Syndrome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has gone downhill significantly.

Cons

Extreme dysfunction. Starts at the top. Good people leave, and they blame them for all that went wrong--and yet, the same problems exist. Look in the mirror.

Blame game. There is no accountability, especially with senior leaders, so they blame and point fingers at others.

No trust or collaboration. Leaders don't trust one another, so they expect us to work around teams, even when it's detrimental to the company. Set up a competing and redundant team. Spend money on outside help. Don't share information when asked.

Culture is like a cult. If you are new, you are viewed with suspicion. Ironically, they are not open to new perspectives even if it's more effective.

Advice to Management

You will eventually implode. My advice is for those who will replace you. Learn from the previous team of what not to do.

"The emperors new clothes doesn't wash anymore"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Architect in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Architect in Newark, NJ

I worked at Red Hat (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, great staffers in engineering and platform, middleware and in the sales teams. How they manage to create such output when they're led so badly is a massive credit to them.
    Red Hat right now still enjoys a good reputation in the OS space but as this is now dropping hugely in the world of containers and Cloud where the OS layer is nowhere near as important it's going to be a fight and it's both technology and fiduciary and I worry for their relevance positioning.
    Good offices, good remote worker support and good HR team who were utterly caned by the idiot former CFO who thought he could repeat Cisco and make this a fit company.

Cons

Thankfully the utterly incompetent CFO is now gone but a HUGE amount of poor middle management and regional directors remain. The board need to start culling people. Now, not in 18 months and only taking a look at themselves and seeing where strategic management has failed will breed new innovative repeatable success. Broken processes (Compass ha... yes thats an utter joke) and other platforms fail to deliver to an overpaid Head of HR globally. The whole company lacks the color to change and fails to deliver its expectations because the board don't know what customers actually need. Summit proves this every year.

Advice to Management

YOU NEED TO CULL MANAGEMENT AND RESTEER THE COMPANY - NOW, you have no further rope to hang yourselves with. Outside Red Hat the company has a tarnished reputation as the new Oracle and Amazon are eating your breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"Beware of internal politics"

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to pick up new skills

Cons

Global sales leaders are difficult to work with and spend more time on internal politics than on running the company. Good luck getting ahead if you are a woman.

Advice to Management

Resign and let new leaders refocus the company

"Bad for women in storage sales, harassment"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Jose, CA

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teammates were great, made good friends over my five year career in sales. Company still gives out RSUs which is an added bonus.

Cons

Male dominated environment in emerging product sales (storage, cloud, middleware). About 50 people within emerging product sales team; only a handful of women. Executive made numerous inappropriate comments to women directly, and relating to women in general. Red Hat is aware but has not done anything to prevent the hostile work environment for women on this team.

Advice to Management

Take harassment complaints seriously, especially those pertaining to Executive staff members. Improve diversity within emerging products / storage business unit. Hire Executives that respect people of all backgrounds and gender.

"Don't waste time doing an internship here"

Former Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Former Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Very slow paced environment. I could not find any smart people. It was a culture of mediocrity. To start a career here would be career suicide. The management who we got to see on talks organized were so full of themselves.The pay was a paltry $24 an hour and there was no interesting work that interns could do. It was mundane everyday work with no learning. It seemed like the people were laid back without any kind of accountability and thought no end of themselves. On Fridays people would work from home with nothing getting done. Lots of work life balance, but lack of interesting work would definitely suck the life out of everyone.

Moreover, the interns are not given a return offer. There's no reason to join an internship where there isn't a possibility of a return offer. They try to sell the company culture as a selling point to make up for the lackluster experience. Join a classy company where learning, growth and benefits are possible.

Advice to Management

Get your act together

"Not what I expected"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Redhat gives you an incredible amount of training material. It goes without saying, but RedHat has some of the brightest open source minds in the industry.

Cons

This company is losing its culture fast. Consultants are treated pretty poorly when it comes to realistic expectations around work to life balance. Many of the managers I dealt with were so another dealing with people it was embarrassing. Traveling on Sunday evening and returning on Friday evening was routine. Pay and benefits were lower than average.

Advice to Management

Get some managers in place that know how to deal with people. Offer better work to life for your consultants, especially those with families. Offer better pay and bonus packages. Revamp your healthcare benefits. Many other companies still have low deductible plans with low out of pocket per month. This organization is incredibly cheap and lost focus of its mission.

"RedHat is not the Company They Advertise, Step on Innovation and Mistreat People"

Former Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some time in the city
    Don't have to be in the office near managers too often

Cons

Management was dull, getting new talentless people
    Said innovative company with good management and worklife, more like dark ages and overly stressed
    If dont' get good technical people soon, will lose any edge
    Said customers were idiots and not to talk over their heads
    Creative ideas flushed down the tubes, heard only bad marketing and saw stepping on people
    No vision, just do what told by people that know less than you
    Salary is a problem, don't get good people without paying market rates
    Never seen such risk averse people, be afraid to say anything wrong, but more likely to be them
    Wouldn't know a good idea from a sink full of dishes
    Highly discriminatory, hard to believe you're not getting sued over mistreatment

Advice to Management

Stop hiring 3rd rate people off the street and placing as management. Just because not outsourced doesn't mean people are good. Learn how to handle growth. Don't lose good people, you can only survive off them for so long after waving goodbye. Teach managers to respect people, they have none and surprised you don't get more suits due to the bad behavior towards people.

"Not a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe the Marketing department has a lot of promise. That may actually be the only department that is actually worth going to.

Cons

Leadership team is a serious embarrassmen. It is simply the blind leading the blind. No one has a clue of what is going on and when you try to tell them or even show them, because they are so clueless of what to do nothing ever happens and they continue to make more of a mess of the entire department. They rather promote and praise those that have no idea of what they are supposed to do, those that don't do a good job, and those that have nothing else to do so they complain about working. However, those that actually work and do a great job at their job get beat down "verbally", belittled, demoted, and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers that actually know what they are supposed to be doing and have experience doing it, instead of just hiring them because they are a friend or a friend of your family. In addition, there should be mandatory management courses and training required for People Team managers as well and not for everyone else in the company excluding People Team as you've been doing. This may help with keeping your talent and getting rid of your slackers. Lastly, get rid of the ridiculous lie that the Talent Aquisition says regarding internal transfers stating, "you can only get a very low % increase no matter what role you go to" even if they are clearly different levels and one role has nothing to do with the other. It is very discouraging.

"Discouraging"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, great for learning IT and software, decent office space, cafeteria serves healthy food, good location if you live in downtown.

Cons

Contractors are not treated equally. Contractors do not have access to trainings that full-timers have at RHU. They wouldn't give contractors the book that CEO wrote without manager's request. They also want you to sign papers before taking the book. There are whole teams of contractors (12+ people) and not a single full-timer. They treat us like we are some kind of clone soldiers from Star Wars. We are in every bit replaceable and do not deserve training, work from home and other privileges that full-time associates get. As a result, poor performance and discouraged workers.
    Red Hat Tower elevators are a joke. If you are blind, you will not know when to get off as it does not announce when it stops unless it's the final stop.
    The so-called meritocracy is when the preferred aka the "right" people get promotions, and it has nothing to do with performance. Performance management and assessment is at a very poor level. There are no 360 reviews. Code reviews are used to evaluate developers' performance.
    Employees are not happy and have to fight for their rights. One of my co-workers had to leave the company because they wouldn't hire him full-time. I often times see upset people at the office. Some even complain in the elevator. Another coworker of mine is finishing his second year of service but he is still a contractor and does not have paid time off.
    The motto of the company that says "With great freedom comes great responsibility" is deceiving. They did not give me freedom but I got responsibilities. I cannot make any technical decision because senior developer took over my project even though I am a tech lead on the project. They would not let me just publish project source on GitHub publicly. I have to go through legal review and only if this project succeeds :)
    My boss told me once that best practices don't mean anything to him. Red Hat pretty much thinks they know it all. They won't listen or ask. They don't know what skip-levels are for, and they don't skip. I did not get a single question in skip-levels. I guess they really don't care.
    They also play recruiters. They can have negotiations about hiring the same person with multiple recruiters. I guess it's their way of driving costs down.

Advice to Management

Respect and nourish people. They are not machines that can be replaced. They require training for at least 3 months before they can reach decent performance. When contractors leave, you throw out 3 months of hard-work that you put in training them. Make them want to stay.

"The truth about consulting"

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First of all It's important to remember that consulting and engineering are two very different places to work within Red Hat. Many of the positive reviews here are completely unrelated to consultants.

Secondly, applying to be a consultant straight out of undergrad is a completely different beast than applying with previous consulting experience.

-You get to learn a lot about corporate structure and different technology stacks by visiting multiple client sites
    -The consultants that last more than a year are actually really great people
    -You really do have the opportunity to climb the promotion ladder as high as you want
    -Everyone assumes Red Hat consulting has the same talent standards as Red Hat engineering so it looks fantastic on your resume
    -Management actually trusts their consultants immensely
    -You work closely with some of the worlds top infrastructure technologies
    -Red Hat certification exams are highly accessible and paid for

Cons

-The majority of our revenue comes from long-term staff augmentation contracts with huge corporations who can't hire their own talent
    -Most consultants (especially straight out of college) are sent on 1-3 years of staff augmentation jobs before they're considered ready to actually consult on short term engagements with interesting clients. You may be stuck at the same client site for up to two years.
    -You are a slave to the client. The severity varies widely between clients, but vacation time needs to be approved by the client, how you contribute to the team is determined by the client, and when you're expected to work late nights and weekends is determined by the client.
    -Revenue numbers rule all: As a billable entity, your needs are frequently swept under the rug so the money keeps coming in.
    -Contracts frequently mention that we are all 40hr/week employees which sounds great until you realize that just means we can't bill the client for all the overtime that is actually required but not talked about.
    -Training time is offered ...with no time to take it because you're billable (i.e. you can't take any vacation this quarter if you're going on a training)
    -Career advancement falls completely on the responsibility of the consultant to study outside the working hours of the client. If you only spend 40-50 hours a week on your career you will never get ahead.
    -You get a special "people manager" who is responsible for your career advancement, but chances are they will have no time for you. The position is overworked and a low priority to fix.
    -Because you're stuck on client site all week, if you ever want to interact with other Red Hat employees, you must do that on your own time.

Advice to Management

-Stop recruiters from flat out lying to college hires
    -Either move away from staff augmentation contracts or accept that you've largely become a body shop (read "The Nomadic Developer")
    -Honestly, hire less consultants from undergrad. It only increases your dependency on staff augmentation contracts
    -Make the people manager role meaningful
    -Offer significant training and certification time to consultants as they come on board
    -A mentoring program would help college hires IMMENSELY