Red Hat Reviews | Glassdoor

Red Hat Reviews

Updated February 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Open Source can tend to be on longer release cycles, and things may tend to move slowly (in 60 reviews)

• More importantly at least for me: The amazing culture and work life balance more than made up for any doller that I might have been sacrificing (in 18 reviews)

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Unique culture focused on meritocracy
    • Overall the people Red Hat hires are outstanding
    • Great Benefits
    • Vacation policy is generous for new employees
    • A lot of growth potential
    • Jim Whitehurst

Cons

• Sales org isn't tied to the culture like the rest of the company is (could be a pro for some)
    • Working as an HR recruiter is very brutal from what I've seen, wouldn't reccomend going into that part of the company.
    • A lot of growing pains from increasing the workforce so fast.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people who won't just nickel and dime the business to reward shareholders. So far that hasn't been the case, but there was a worry among a lot of the employees with what the CFO (now former CFO) would do. For the next CFO, I think it would be beneficial to make the hiring process more extensive to make sure the candidate selected will fit into the culture of the company well. I would also reccomend not having IT under the control of the next CFO.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Love the culture. Love the people. The best company I have ever worked at and I hope to be here for alot of years

Cons

I really don't have any cons to comment on. Like any company, not everything is always perfect- but the company is well run and things are done/changed with good intent

3. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, CA

I worked at Red Hat (More than a year)

Pros

Open source is a great industry

Cons

Incredibly male oriented--not much diversity

Advice to Management

Get your new products sold!

"Long-time Red Hatter"

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Smart, passionate people that truly believe in a mission beyond making money

Cons

Lack of career path and a lack of transparency

Advice to Management

Find the stewards of our culture and promote them into leadership positions rather than just stacking on outsiders

6. "So many moving parts..."

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are an Open Source champion, understand the business practices of Open Source, and love full-stack technology, Red Hat is a great place to enrich your technical knowledge. Some very smart and fun people to work with. There is never a shortage of things to learn.

Cons

Cloud is a fast moving target and the infrastructure needed for service providers is changing. Open Source can tend to be on longer release cycles, and things may tend to move slowly.

"Beware of internal politics"

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to pick up new skills

Cons

Global sales leaders are difficult to work with and spend more time on internal politics than on running the company. Good luck getting ahead if you are a woman.

Advice to Management

Resign and let new leaders refocus the company

"Has its issues, but still better than many"

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Prime technology company with excellent portfolio. Good benefits and very open organization for the most part. You get to manage your own time. If you need some hand holding, this isnt a place for you. You get to work on some interesting problems with some best and the brightest.

Cons

Like any big organization(yes its big now) it comes with its usual cons. Bloated teams with duplication of effort. Too many layers of management. Do we really need a Supervisor? Really that's nothing more than a team lead. Technical ladder is broken. There needs to be more levels between senior and principal engineer. Promotions can be very hard once you reach principal.

Last year Red Hat was on best places to work list.This year it slipped. For good reason. Lot has changed this year and with new CFO some unpopular changes came to play. Average pay with a long review cycle. Depending on which team you are, budget can be constraint. Open organization can be powerful concept, but honestly i dont think its fully followed at Red Hat.

Advice to Management

Get rid of too many layers of middle management and instead add those levels to engineering ladder. Keep employees motivated with regular salary reviews and better incentives.

"good if you are into open source"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For open source people, what more could you ask for? You may get to travel a lot if you like public speaking.

Cons

The company does not make its own products so much as package and support the open source work.

Advice to Management

Red Hat has management?

10. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people and a great culture focused on Open Sources and the software development community. Company understands employees and makes sure to keep them energized and morale high.

Cons

Travel will often be required. Remote collaboration can sometimes remove the bonding that takes place face to face.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing forward with the culture and make sure to stay open and transparent about future decision making.

"Outstanding colleges, disapointing benifiits."

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with the best of the best. Red Hat employs THE though leaders in Open Source and you won't find a group of more talented people anywhere else. If you want to work with the best this is where they are.

Also, ethics are a priority from top down. Every company meeting I've attended where some other company did something questionable in the last quarter it was a priority of top management in the meeting to drive home the point that similar mistakes will not be tolerated and ethics must be foremost in all actions.

Cons

Benefits. They are clearly structured to be just good enough to keep people from leaving. This is surprising considering Red Hat's primary (only?) asset is the intelligence, skill and ability of the employees. To my mind benefits should be a priority for the company but come out to be barely average. This sadly seems to be by design because they understand the main motivation for new employees is to work with the most talented individuals in the industry.

Before joining the company I personally sponsored may Red Hat employees to join my previous employer because the benefits were among the best in the industry.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits to accurately reflect the importance and contribution of associates to the companies success.