Red Lobster Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Red Lobster CEO Kim Lopdrup
Kim Lopdrup

Pros
  • Flexible schedule nice people & good food (in 111 reviews)

• If you work hard, you will make really good money (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • some shifts are long and require long hours of being on your feet constantly (in 77 reviews)

• As with any other industry job, work life balance is questionable (in 21 reviews)

1. "server"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Rohnert Park, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Rohnert Park, CA

I worked at Red Lobster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a half off discount on the food while working and most days are no longer than 6 hours.

Cons

The managing could be better and the restaurant is fairly empty at times besides the weekends. The food is OK.

Advice to Management

The management should consider treating their employees better and not judge them off simple mistakes. This shows bad criticism and employee hospitality.

2. "Management is awful!"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Lufkin, TX
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Lufkin, TX

I worked at Red Lobster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool co-workers, got to play with a lobster

Cons

Poor management and gross work environment

Advice to Management

Lose the tude dude

3. "Culinary Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Chico, CA

I have been working at Red Lobster full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid Vacation and good values

Cons

Glass ceiling. Work ethic and results not rewarded, pandering to the right people you may or may not have access to gets you moved up. Terrible model.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting service managers, start promoting culinary managers that think objectively and drive results. Thank you.

5. "One of the worst jobs I've ever worked honestly"

Former Employee - Server in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Server in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Red Lobster part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're all about cross-training so you can learn multiple jobs

Cons

They pretend they are a 5-star restaurant and expect you to give to 5-star service to their not-so-classy clientele. They expect their servers to do way more than they should and give them very strict time constraints they must adhere to. They are OBSESSED with server scores and restaurant "points." At my location I was never told when I was doing something well, only when I "didn't earn enough points." I've never seen a company so utterly obsessed with surveys. The side work was ridiculous, could take up to two hours to complete. At my location the management immediately cut my hours the moment I said I couldn't work mornings Wednesdays and Thursdays. I requested off ONCE on Thursday and they approved it and after that completely took away my thursday shifts. They acted like they were jealous of my other job. Just overall terrible for multiple reasons.

Advice to Management

Chill with the obsession with surveys. The servers can't FORCE anyone to fill anything out, all they can do is tell them about it. Stop punishing your employees for mistakes by the kitchen or customers. Change your server scorecard system to make it more realistic. And stop pretending to be a 5-star establishment. Of course you should except your employees to provide great service, but stop punishing them for not acting like "fine dining." RL isn't fine dining.

6. "Culinary manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Red Lobster full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, vacation and learned how to be a strong manager

Cons

Hard to make goals with declining guest count and investment firm wanting their return on investment.

Advice to Management

Get back to core values of employee first. Stop making goals harder to achieve. I hate that the manager is now the expo position I had to get out before endless returned I can't imagine the boofonery I would have to deal with as a manager stuck in a position during endless in a rough location. Stop letting guest relations give out money to complaints without first confirming their visit and it goes against the restaurant Even if it was a scam and we could no longer request recoding. Bonus structure is a joke my last bonus was 398.00 lol...I had to quit after 10 years cause of the change and threatening nature and hostile feel...stay away! I could go on for hours the reasons to not work there, I once loved working here.

7. "Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Hostess in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Hostess in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Red Lobster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are ok and sometimes the management is ok.

Cons

There are no perks to working here, it is extremely hard to gain advancement. Management doesn't seem to work together. They change the rules when it suits them.

8. "Whoever put them on a "Best" list was paid"

Former Employee - Server in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Server in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Red Lobster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really just aren't any, they treat everyone like dirt and don't have enough business to pay bills.

Cons

*You get your schedule the day before it starts, thats how important you are.
    *Minors serving alcohol to minors.
    *Management responds to all questions, concerns, etc. with "Not my responsibility"
    *Even after the lawsuits, they still have servers do kitchen work for sub-minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Be honest with people.

9. "Horrible & racist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northglenn, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northglenn, CO

I worked at Red Lobster part-time

Pros

Food discount, employee assistance program, great & friendly coworkers

Cons

Very rude, unprofessional, & racist management

Advice to Management

Don't bother wasting someone's time if your hidden agenda is being racist. I didn't see not one African American person working at the northglenn, co location & I truly felt that management was racist. They want you to dedicate your time to them & only them. I only applied & wanted to work at this job part time because I already had a full time job & a family to provide for & to save extra money. The rent in Colorado is ridiculous & I would have enjoyed working here but just getting the demeanor during orientation after I told management what my future plans were, I could tell this job wasn't going to work. Too bad I didn't stay because after meeting some of the nicest servers I ever met I would have stayed because of them. I can't work in an environment where management is no understanding & said off the bat to me I wouldn't have never hired you if you had such & such going on smh. How very rude! I would blast her name but she know who she is & im sure she didn't care but if you would have said that to me in front of my kids it wouldn't have been nice. Very unprofessional!!! I highly recommend any African American to avoid this place at all cost & they lost a very good customer too!!!!

10. "Server at Marbach"

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Red Lobster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At times Laid back and there are a few good managers that actually care about there employees. Cheap employee meals. Use Hot Schedules.

Cons

Majority of Managers are lazy and dont have things prepared. as a server you are a Host, Ally coordinate, bartender, busser, and dessert and salad maker. if you can do all these roles with the speed and pace of being a server in a full section and no employee or management help goodluck to you.... also they are just cutting down on staff to make the servers do more an more work in there free labor. So if you want to work for a company who majorly doesn't care about there employees and begins to degrade with every promotion. here it is...

Advice to Management

please play your role and learn something about customer service and your employees as they suffer from your lack of effort and care to be prepared to be a successful restaurant every day.

11. "Great Money but hard work"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Red Lobster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great tips, high volume restaurant

Cons

Being understaffed can be overwhelming to a server here.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, see their value, they are the reason you have a job and are making huge bonuses.

Showing 131 of 1,615 reviews