Red Lobster Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Red Lobster CEO Kim Lopdrup
Kim Lopdrup

1,607 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Flexible schedule nice people & good food (in 111 reviews)

• If you work hard, you will make really good money (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • some shifts are long and require long hours of being on your feet constantly (in 77 reviews)

• As with any other industry job, work life balance is questionable (in 21 reviews)

1. "ok place to work but they don't give you more than 20-25 hrs a week"

Current Employee - Cook in Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Cook in Strongsville, OH

Pros

good benefits package but the day one medical insurance they brag about costs amost $350 a month! Once they've paid $4000 a yr then they don't pay anything else. You'll pay more for the ins. than the coverage you'll get. other benefits are good, good discount program too

Cons

NO HOURS. I had to go on food stamps working here. But they don't care. It's all about them hitting there numbers.
    Managers can be very negative. Is it that hard to give a compliment when it's deserved?!

Advice to Management

None. The mgmt staff of this restaurant is too close minded to accept suggestions on how to save moeny on food cost, labor,etc. Just because someone is not a manger doesn't mean they can't have a good idea. I would give some advice but the way people are treated w/ the lack of hours....why would I want to help this company?!

2. "Server"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Odessa, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Odessa, MO

Pros

Tips are great!! Easy to make money in a fast paced environment. Good place to work while attending school or part time.

Cons

Management very micro managed, to the point that it is silly. If weren't for money you make in tips, intolerable place to work.

Advice to Management

Promote.

3. "crappy place to work"

Former Employee - Server in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Jose, CA

Pros

nothing at all. easy job simple tasks

Cons

corporate rules, shitty management, 3 tables max

Advice to Management

get a life

5. "Just a face in the Crowd"

Former Employee - Server in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Server in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Stays busy
    Direct Deposit paycheck onto a Visa card
    Mid to High Range tips
    Uniform/Dress code easy
    Okay as a second job

Cons

Too many managers-no one seems to really be in charge
    Nit pick over small things (I didn't have non slip trad on my shoes-got sent home until I got some! No one ever told me, they just said black dressy shoes!)
    You only get 3 tables at a time, no matter how busy or slow it is
    There are so many servers, there are not enough hours to go around. When you first start, they work you nearly to death, doubles 3 days a week. But it eventually tapers of and everyone gets 3-4 shifts per week, even senior servers that have been there for years
    Managers wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire! Most of them don't know your name without looking at name tags

Advice to Management

Since each server is only allowed 3 tables, hire less people! I understand the whole "keep the customer happy" creed, but don't treat your staff like s**t or you won't have anyone to serve your precious customers!!

6. "So-So Seafood restrauant"

Current Employee - Hostess in Elyria, OH
    Current Employee - Hostess in Elyria, OH

Pros

the Darden Dimes program (all employees have the option to donate a dime of their paycheck to Darden Dimes, then if something bad happens to an employee, their co-workers can opt to raise money for the person, and Darden Dimes will match it.)

Cons

horrible, horrible uniforms.
    long hours
    next to impossible to get holidays or weekends off.
    lots of high school aged employees (sometimes you feel more like a babysitter than a hostess, server, cook etc.)
    management who lack college educations

7. "See food differently... definately"

Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL

Pros

Co-servers are ususally women in college...or at least pretty.
    discount
    cash on hand at the end of the night

Cons

schedule sucks
    dont know how much you'll make
    old people to serve
    made to do way way too much work

Advice to Management

Try seperating your career from home life. stay more consistent

"An absolutely miserable job"

Former Employee - Host in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Host in New York, NY

I worked at Red Lobster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Paid above minimum wage for hosts
    -I've never had a time-off request denied
    -50% discount if you have a meal before, on break or after your shift.

Cons

It honestly all depends on your GM and Managers. My GM was notoriously rude and abrasive so every shift with her felt like an eternity in Rikers. Every shift she screamed at us to look happier and smile, but it's hard to do that with her micro-managing every aspect of work and literally screaming at us for the most minor infractions. Improvise a word on the mind-numbing script that you have to repeat to every single guest? Expect to be publicly yelled at in front of co-workers or guests. Oh and God forbid you get caught not making conversation with guests who are obviously having a conversation amongst themselves. . . how dare you not interrupt them to make a mundane comment about the weather! Tsk, tsk, this is why GSS is in the gutter. Not because every employee feels tense and anxious waiting for the next tongue lashing.

Another major annoyance is the petty tactics that managers use to trick guests. They love for the minions to say no so that once the guest asks for a manager, they can swoop in and say yes so that they look like saviors and we look like jerks.

My last annoyance are the crappy wait-list sheets. We almost always end up going over quote and then we end up getting yelled at by the guests. If I did a walkthrough of the restaurant and saw that we have no open tables and no tables with boxed leftovers, why do I have to tell the first three parties that it'll be less than five minutes when I know that it won't be?

Flexibility depends on your location. At my location, they expected you to have 24/7 availability as if your were some kind of Doctor on call! If they asked me to come in and I couldn't they'd say, "Why not? Don't you need money?"

The hours are all over the place. Sometimes I would work three hours and they'd be pushing me out, other times I'd work eleven hours and they'd be acting as if I didn't spend my entire day there when I asked to go home. Also, I'd be two hours into a potentially nine/ten hour shift and they'd force me to take a break. What is the point of giving me a break 1/5 of the way through my shift?

The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I was a student.

Advice to Management

Check up on your GM's and managers more often and unexpectedly. And not your usual tactic of saying you'll come at 12pm and you show up at 2 pm or three days later. That just means that the GM will be even more cruel to us until you actually arrive. Literally just pop up. I bet you'll be surprised at what you see.

9. "Awful"

Former Employee - Server in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Red Lobster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any perks to working here

Cons

Incompetent management, contradictory standards, unrealistic expectations. Constantly making labor cuts to reduce spending at the expense of the remaining employees. Servers are responsible for everything: bussing, food running, cleaning. The restaurant never operates smoothly because it is never properly staffed.
    Managers dispense "write-ups" for any minor infraction.

Advice to Management

Use common sense instead of adhering to procedures that don't work.

10. "Server"

Pros

Good money, well respected company

Cons

Evil fellow employees, poor mid-level management

Advice to Management

GM was great, lower level managers shouldve been more like him

"it was horrible"

Former Employee - Server in Burleson, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Burleson, TX

I worked at Red Lobster part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great money and ok customers and the employees are very nice and friendly

Cons

jealous mgmt staff lots of favoritism and racism

Advice to Management

you need to retrain your managers and make sure they treat everyone the same and not just only favorite and picks and teach your employees to mind there own business and not worry why someone is out and sick just nosey

Showing 1,607 of 1,613 reviews