KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Red Lobster

Engaged Employer

Red Lobster

Add a Review

Red Lobster Employee Reviews about "favoritism"

Updated Jun 28, 2022

Found 76 of over 4,418 reviews

3.6
Red Lobster CEO Kelli Valade (no image)
Kelli Valade

What people are saying about Red Lobster

Join the conversation on

The Work-Life Bowl

1y

works at

EY

Is anyone not from the US? When did you get used to American food? I have been here for quite long but I still mostly eat Asian food (Chinese Indian Japanese Korean Thai Vietnamese in alphabetical order) so in the South, it was difficult to find good spots. Then I went to some of the established chains (Apple Bee’s Red Lobster Cheesecake Factory etc) and realized there wasn’t much for me to order. What would be a good way to get used to American food that most Americans eat?

72 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Money is good for a part time job provided it is the busier times of the year.(in 351 reviews)
  • "was fun and had good pay(in 174 reviews)
  • "This is the perfect job as a primary or secondary job and is great for people in school.(in 166 reviews)
  • "My coworkers were great and we got to listen to music.(in 160 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours for student or those with other time commitments.Hourly money isn't bad for an entry(in 150 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Red Lobster and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "favoritism"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Seemed to be a very positive enviroment when being interviewed.

May 10, 2018 - Prep Cook in Windsor, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

For the most part people are positive, a lot of long term employees, which would suggest a good place to work, not a lot of turn over.

Cons

It seems it is all about the money, labor costs, work faster and shorter hours. Long term employees do not give new staff a chance, think they should know everything in a short time frame. Too much drama, negativity, back stabbing. Too much favoritism.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Working as Host

Oct 5, 2020 - Host in San Marcos, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Red Lobster was a good environment. Friendly employees and good space. Good job

Cons

Management presented a bit of favoritism in terms of who got moved up. Poor managerial experience.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's up to you

Jul 1, 2018 - Server/Bartender
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great menu and pricing. Flexible hours. Black uniforms. Upward mobility. Multi-cultural/equal opportunity employer.

Cons

Too much bias and favoritism shown. Managers often unprofessional. Scheduling varies greatly, is subject to sudden change, and is rarely known more than a few days advance. Loyal employees and customers suffer and are easily slighted by a system that promotes, and strictly relies on, numbers and profit.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not recommended if you want to have a life.

Jun 4, 2017 - Server in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like any other serving gig, it's money in your pocket after every shift. I met some incredible people at the location I worked for almost 10 years.

Cons

If you're happy with the management, don't get too comfortable. They come and go faster than the other crew members. Don't expect any weekends off or a set schedule for that matter. Managers are just as bad at gossiping as servers are. Too much favoritism going on. Even though it's required by law in my state that if you work more than 6 hours, your employer is required to give you a half hour break it seldom happens. I was hired on with excellent benefits, medical, dental, even vision. But it was taken away after RL parted from Darden. Management is overworked and quick to punishing even for the slightest offenses.

Red Lobster Response

Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your employment experience is important to us, especially since you spent almost 10 years being a part of the Red Lobster family. We regret hearing about your experiences, but we do value your feedback so that we can learn and grow from here.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Too much extra work you don't get paid for

Nov 30, 2018 - Server in Waco, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Expensive plates increase tip percentages -Relatively easy to transfer between restaurants -Certain promotions really bring in a lot of money -Relatively easy to get shifts covered or pick up extra shifts -Easy to take extended time off