Red Robin Reviews | Glassdoor

Red Robin CEO Denny Post
Denny Post

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They USED to care a great deal about the team members (in 32 reviews)

• You will work very hard and long hours and the schedules just aren't consistent enough to lead a normal life at times (in 29 reviews)

1. "Worst Job possible."

Current Employee - Food Server in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Kent, WA

I have been working at Red Robin part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling is pretty much it.

Cons

They openly favor people. They attack your personal life. If one person doesn't like you they will cut all your hours. Extremely high turn.over rate(managers included). Everyone is high. The kitchen doesn't care what goes out. You are a number, good reviews only count if they are on ziosks. If you can't convince everyone to take your surveys you aren't considered a good server. They will treat you badly if you have a family emergency and are forced to call out. They don't care period. Always short staffed.

Advice to Management

Get better management.

Oct 16, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, we appreciate the feedback. We will be happy to look into these with the management team.

2. "Hostess"

I worked at Red Robin part-time

Pros

- Half off all food for hosts.
    - Free for servers.
    - Get to meet a lot of people and talk to them.

Cons

orites always chosen.
    - Even if you work harder than others they don't see it.
    - Servers always yell at you in front of customers.
    - Customers yell at you. You are front of the house so you are the first employee they see so they yell at you.
    - Series of chores and random tasks.
    - Only position that won't make tips even if you bus, clean the bathroom, take orders and run out food, and host. Nothing.
    - Only get tips if you move up to to-go. Also based on favorites.
    - Cut your hours to 3/week if they don't like you.

Advice to Management

Stop picking your favorites. The way an employee acts in front of you is not how they behave when you arent around.

3. "Dish washer, salad bar caretaker."

I worked at Red Robin part-time

Pros

There were no pros to working at this position for this company.

Cons

8 plus hours, no breaks, much of staff were intoxicated on the job.

Advice to Management

Vet your prospective employees more thoroughly, pay them decent hourly wages.

Sep 21, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we take your feedback very seriously. We would love to deeper look into your concerns, if you could let us know which location you worked at; you can... More

4. "Managment/server/trainer"

I worked at Red Robin full-time

Pros

Meeting different people and making the best friendships.

Cons

Not enough money. As a manager the quality of life was obsolete. Regionals never followed through. Anybody can be a General Manager. The 4 core vaules were non existent. Especially Honor and Integrity from the General Manager on up.

Advice to Management

Take care of your team. If your team is making you look good, forget about the RODs and higher ups. It's your team that is bringing in the money, not your boss or their boss.

Sep 1, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

We are sorry to hear that we missed the mark. We would love to follow up if you would be comfortable letting us know which location you worked at; you can do so here... More

5. "Line Cook"

Current Employee - Line Cook
    Current Employee - Line Cook

I have been working at Red Robin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Food for HOH employees

Cons

No benefits
    Long shifts (10+hrs) w/o breaks
    Very little PPE provided when handling hazardous chemicals
    Family time becomes very limited
    Inconsistent schedules

Advice to Management

Care for your employees

6. "This place is a joke"

Current Employee - Server Trainer/Bartender in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Server Trainer/Bartender in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Red Robin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro are my coworkers. Mainly because we have trauma-bonded over how awful management treats us.

Cons

Management is abusive and inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Stop obsessing over the NPS scores. It's so transparent that management only cares about getting good scores so they can get their bonus.

Aug 15, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

We appreciate you providing this feedback and we'll be happy to look into your concerns about the management team.

7. "Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Hostess in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Hostess in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Red Robin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with a great team of people outside of management. Okay job if you want less than 20 hours a week and don't mind being taken advantage of

Cons

Little hours
    They always under staff because they're so desperate to cut costs which makes every shift a nightmare
    Will ask you to do things WAYY outside of your job description
    Managers are extremely unprofessional
    Blatant favoritism

Aug 2, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us, we will be happy to look into your concerns with the management team.

"Stay Away, Far away!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Red Robin full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros at this time

Cons

Favoritism, unrealistic work hours and deadlines

Advice to Management

Senior/Executives really need to get their heads out of the clouds and start looking at your middle management. They blatantly show favoritism in their departments and bully the unlucky ones. They don't listen to the opinions of the workers. Open your eyes and your ears!!!

9. "If you're thinking about a part time serving job here, save yourself the trouble."

Former Employee - Bartender in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Bartender in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Robin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is decent...sometimes.
    Some co-workers can be great.
    Discount on food.

Cons

There is A LOT of things I could write about here, but I'll just list the things that caused me to hand in my notice.

1. Tenured employees WILL treat new ones terribly. Granted, this will vary from location to location, but in my expierence, there were 3 employees who had be there for 3-5 years and they acted like they owned the place. They were not managers, just servers, and they always had an attitude, acted absolutely entitled, and complained constantly. I was harassed almost daily by one employee and nothing ever got done about it, which leads to my next point.

2. The managers (except for 2 who no longer work with Red Robin) treat everyone like dirt. You are beneath them and they make sure you know that. They do not care about resolving your problems and their answer to ANYTHING that you are unhappy with is "There's the door".

3. The clients. This is just because of the area the Red Robin I worked at was in, but it's really hit or miss. Sometimes they're great, other times...not so much.

This was my first serving job, and probably my last because of my experience at Red Robin

Advice to Management

Honestly, just care about your employees for once and stop treating the ones who've been there the longest like your golden children. "There's the door" is not a solution...

Jul 25, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate the feedback. We would be happy to look into your concerns further, if you'd be comfortable sharing which location you worked at. You can... More

"I am not lying or exaggerating any of this. Please read all the cons."

Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Red Robin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can make ok money if you can get favorited. I had to kiss a lot of booty.
       You get half off one meal the day you work.

Cons

The company gives outrageous numbers to meet. Starting on the managers...like Robin offer bottomless freckled lemonades but will only give the store credit for one and a half per guest while most drink like 4 or 5. So managers are always over used on product which forces them to only put ounce of strawberries when the recipe requires two ounces and I am pretty sure they water down the sodas to make up for it. That is just one example. So all the food is being shorted to make up for unrealistic expectations, there for cheating the guest on everything. They have to cheat times and make workers work more than one job code and always run short handed. They offer bottomless fries but won't give them to you unless all the food is sold, what do they care it is your tip not theirs. Robin has raised prices so much that they have to give out free food to get guests to even come in. Guess who doesn't get tipped on free food. Funny you still have to do all the work though. They are pulling expediters and planning on pulling busser jobs to save money. They would rather pay servers $3 an hour to do all those jobs...what do they care it is your tips not theirs if you don't have time to serve the guest.
       You are graded on drinks per guest but some appetizers are counted as guests so you have to add waters to check them out. I was told that is because the company lies to their share holders to make it look like they have a higher guest count....guess who it hurts, the server.
      People slip and fall all the time in our restaurant but they won't fix the slick floors.
       I have had crew meetings where district managers say stuff like...we are not required to give breaks...and we are doing these things for you ha ha nothing is done for the employees at all. Everyone I work with hates the company. Even the managers have said how greedy this place is.
      You have to use the table machine to order things and check people out but half ours are broken...guess who still gets graded on it, you. No excuses even if you don't have the tools to do your job.
       All of the dishes come out dirty, gross. People eat off this stuff, why is that not an issue.
      Red Robin took away raises and stopped giving them when the economy crashed what like 8 or 9 years ago and took away our 401ks and they are not coming back.
       The store puts on a show when the bosses are there but it is filthy with trash everywhere and no one wears gloves when they are not there.
       Half the workers have to do all the side work and the other half get to just make money and leave to save labor.
       I personally have seen several labor laws broke and employee mistreated several times.
       You won't have enough glasses or silverware because they can't order more...it would hurt the numbers and managers might not get their bonus.
       The bartender has to take and bag all the to go order even though they rarely get tipped on them.
       So say you make it to a closer position. They will cut all the employees off the floor and you will have to seat the door, serve, expedite the food, and buss your own table while 2-3 managers sit around and eat. They say it is a daily meeting but just talk about what they did last night or whatever. The poor guests have dirty tables all around them and have to wait on everything. This is hilarious because my store is a training store and trains managers, I can only imagine how bad other stores are. I have direct orders to throw certain things out or change things when health inspectors come in.
       Don't eat here after 8pm because kitchen workers are cleaning walls, vents, and fryers and do not wash hands when food is rang in. They are also cussing you because you interrupted them.
       I will see managers sit around for hours but won't give you time to go to the bathroom.
       The computer system is terrible, goes down all the time. Don't even have buttons for some of the items.
      The air conditioning is directly over the guest so they are always cold and you are alway hot and sweating. Let me add. I work in Missouri and our thermostat is controlled by their head quarters in like California or something. They don't turn on the air until we open...so you are a sweaty mess by the time you start. Heck half the time they won't even turn on the lights, you might have to open in the dark.
       Your paycheck won't even cover half of your taxes.
       Good luck getting ahold of HR they obviously don't care about any of this. You will not get a call back.
       Our store to get trainers was like, anybody wanna be a trainer? So our trainer suck.
    There is no incentive to train what so ever.
        I watch managers just eat food off the line.
        Have had to bend my morals many times.
        You have to work all holidays, nights, and weekends if you want to make money.
        Bosses will lie straight to your face.
        Anything the company does ends up making you less money.
        Company has a giving fund where they take credit for helping employees, but the money comes from us, every employee has to give a dollar a check.
        Many more things I can't think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Stop being YES men. I mean if something isn't right bring it up to your boss or their boss. You're only hurting yourself, you can only fudge the numbers so long before it catches up with you.
       Look up the words Manager, Leader, Ruler, and Dictator and decide which you are. Maybe take a management course.
       Building a team makes things easier and realize your employees are people not numbers.
       The guests mostly don't like ziosks.

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we're sorry to hear that we missed the mark. We would be happy to look into your concerns further, if you're comfortable providing us more information... More

Showing 155 of 1,289 reviews