Red Tettemer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Red

1. "Always trying to get better"

I have been working at Red Tettemer full-time

Pros

I'm on the interactive team and it's a pretty good gig. Everyone is friendly and there's a good team spirit. I've learned tons and worked on lots of interesting projects. The technology stack is modern, the designers are talented, and we're encouraged to try new things, both in the work we do and the process we do it with. The interactive team is a bit siloed from the rest of the agency but that's more a pro than a con...the hours are friendlier and it's ok to work from home or work from a coffee shop whenever it makes sense. If you meld with the culture you'll really enjoy yourself.

Cons

Lots of good people work here. Things got difficult earlier this year and we lost some of those good people. That sucked and was the worst moment in my few years here. That's business, though, and it wasn't for lack of trying. It hurt.

Advice to Management

The creative department seems to be managed differently than the rest of the agency and needs to implement more process to avoid wasting time and effort (which causes long hours, burnout, resentment, and so on). Perks are great but salaries need to be higher to attract better talent and retain the good talent that's here.

"Beware"

Pros

On-demand beer, small number of really talented and nice people, also a friendly office cat. Even if you don't like cats he's cool.

Cons

I find it really interesting the amount of positive feedback on this place, and then upon looking further I noticed it was mostly intern reviews. This place is an absolute circus and I mean that in the least complimentary way. There is zero structure, no process, and people have free reign to undermine each others knowledge and experience. There is a complete lack of respect between the departments and a complacency with quality of work that I find to be unforgiving. Besides that, “sweatshop” is an understatement. I have a long standing familiarity with late hours and the “agency lifestyle”, but nothing can compare to this place. There is a strange, underlying competition to stay the latest. If you leave the office before 7pm, prepare for dirty looks, gossip and judgement. Overall the company itself doesn't seem to be financially healthy. I would warn anyone before signing on to ask the right questions and be firm in your work balance expectations.

Advice to Management

Stop undercutting your talent. Raise the prices of your scopes so you can afford to staff appropriately. Lavish parties to keep up appearances isn't cool.

3. "Interactive Design Intern"

Former Employee - Interactive Design Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Interactive Design Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I really enjoyed my experience here as a design intern at Red's Interactive department. While the department is relatively younger than the rest of the agency's departments, the experience and mentorship guiding the department is phenomenal. Since the very first day I walked into the office, I was immediately thrown into a variety of projects. While some tasks for projects were less exciting than others, I never felt that I was doing "meaningless" work.

Furthermore, Red's culture is casual, quirky, and eclectic. It's filled with some of the most creative, talented, and hard-working individuals, which makes it a really great place to work. Interns are divided up into two teams to collectively ideate, formulate, and pitch an idea for a campaign. While rewarding for interns in other departments, I personally felt that as an interactive intern, because I was almost always busy with client work or an internal project, I didn't have quite the same role as other interns due to the nature of work within the interactive department.

Overall, I highly recommend this internship to anyone curious about agency life, particularly as a designer or developer. Everyone is really friendly and helpful, so even if you're just starting out, you will learn a ton.

Cons

Interns are not paid, just given Septa transit checks. Wish they could pay interns, but don't let the lack of pay deter you from applying!

Advice to Management

Set up some kind of formal role for interactive interns within the intern project, or create an intern project specific for interactive interns. Also a monetary stipend for interns would be helpful.

5. "Account Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Red Tettemer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great creative environment that allows for growth and opportunity internally.

Cons

Longer hours and constant accessibility outside of normal work hours.

"Awesome people. Awful life."

Pros

The people at RTOP are hands down some of the quirkiest, coolest, warmest folks around. I loved working with them and thought they were some of the smartest in the biz. Super fun parties and social events and beer fridge. Cool stuff to work on.

Cons

That said, the hours. are. really bad. Particularly in the creative department. All nighters are the norm. Weekend work is expected. You will cancel on friends and family time and time again for dinners, events, weekend trips. It becomes almost insane. Pay is also low.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that provides some balance.

7. "Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Account Management Intern
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern

Pros

It had amazing people, great atmosphere, good perks, and awesome clients

Cons

Unstructured and unpaid, the hours were long (~50 hours a week)

Advice to Management

A better structured internship, and minimum wage.

"Great/Fun"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Red Tettemer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, hands down. Everyone is incredibly bright, incredibly talented, or incredibly personable, a few are all three. Not going to find a more fun hard working group of people with better things to work on in the city. Best place to learn if you're young, great place to make a name for yourself if you have a bit more experience.

Cons

Typical advertising agency issues. Long hours. When I started there seemed to be a competition sometimes to see who could stay the latest which seemed fake. Interns need to force managements hand to get actual experience, the program kind of fell apart during my time there.

Advice to Management

Guide the young talent, let them know you care.

9. "Creative Intern"

Pros

- Awesome place to work. The people are really down to earth and fun.

Cons

Unforunately, no pay for interns.

"Anything is possible, if you work for it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Culture is key. Great environment filled with talented, cool people. Company policy says "Ideas don't care where they come from" and they stand by it; everyone's encouraged to be creative. Opportunity to brief on everything that comes in, if you speak up. Focus is on the work rather than process or "billables." Big push/challenge to invent new ways or channels to connect with audiences. Cross platform/integrated approach to just about every brief. They push the work, hard.

Cons

You'll work your ass off. Long hours. Lots of all nighters. Not a lot of process. Not many layers to get the work done.

Advice to Management

Better track work for pitches to better manage late nights. Do some account management training w/ outside consultants to help with detailed production schedules/account planning and client management training. Send everyone emails that tell staff about things that teams built/created/launched every couple weeks.

11. "Overall Great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great location
    Great Office
    Great People
    Good Energy
    Good Reputation
    Does Good Work

Cons

Shitty Pay
    Not a lot to do at times
    A lot of sitting around
    Not enough responsibility

Advice to Management

The hiring/firing game needs to be played a little bit more fair. When you understaff, you make everyone suffer.