Red Tettemer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Steve Red

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Always trying to get better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Red Tettemer full-time

Pros

I'm on the interactive team and it's a pretty good gig. Everyone is friendly and there's a good team spirit. I've learned tons and worked on lots of interesting projects. The technology stack is modern, the designers are talented, and we're encouraged to try new things, both in the work we do and the process we do it with. The interactive team is a bit siloed from the rest of the agency but that's more a pro than a con...the hours are friendlier and it's ok to work from home or work from a coffee shop whenever it makes sense. If you meld with the culture you'll really enjoy yourself.

Cons

Lots of good people work here. Things got difficult earlier this year and we lost some of those good people. That sucked and was the worst moment in my few years here. That's business, though, and it wasn't for lack of trying. It hurt.

Advice to Management

The creative department seems to be managed differently than the rest of the agency and needs to implement more process to avoid wasting time and effort (which causes long hours, burnout, resentment, and so on). Perks are great but salaries need to be higher to attract better talent and retain the good talent that's here.

"Welcome to the Wild West"

Pros

Good place for junior talent to get a lot of experience, fast. Great place to do awesome work if you're a bit more senior. Friendly office pets (and people). Strategy & Creative are especially sharp and quirky here. Stocked, rotating Kegerator and a beautiful office in the heart of Center City Philadelphia. Concept is king here, and the ideas are fresh and clever.

Cons

RTO+P live up to their Wild West aesthetic, that's for sure. Long hours, even for the ad industry. Expect lots of canceled plans and unexpected all-nighters. As other reviews have noted, it seems like there's an odd competition to stay as late as possible, even when there's not much work to be done.

Lot's of turnover here recently, and seems like low-level staff get cut around 5-8 months when benefits start kicking in or they find a better gig. Different departments seem to run almost independent from one another, and communication of expectations and timelines is a joke.

There is a clique, and if you're not in it, don't expect to last long. Pay is exceptionally below market value.

Advice to Management

Structure may not be cool but it may save headaches and wasted effort.

"All for show"

I worked at Red Tettemer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The offices are cool, the environment is laid back and the people are young, fun and smart. Many of the accounts are fun to work on, and there is a lot of talented people. If you're young and don't worry too much about work/life balance, you'd be a great fit here. You'll learn fast and get to spend time around immensely talented people.

Cons

There is a lot of backstabbing and manipulation. People talk about each other behind their backs and there is no true sense of teamwork. People tend to only lookout for themselves and treat every meeting and project as if it's how they can show up the next guy. People tend to form alliances and stick up for their own people, but there's no true sense of team spirit across the board. We're all working toward the same goal and success, but it ends up feeling the opposite.

The partners care only about creative, pushing business goals and realistic expectations aside. All other departments simply have to wait until creative concepts are finalized before they have any input into a campaign, RFP or pitch. There is no job security, people can be let go at the drop of a hat without much explanation. Billing to clients isn't efficient, so the agency ends up overdelivering always, without getting paid for the work. This results in long hours for the employees and very low salaries. Constantly overdelivering beyond the scope results in clients beginning to expect the additional work everytime without extra pay.

There's no such thing as relaxing when you get home, since you will get emailed constantly and end up working half of the night and weekends.

Advice to Management

Take a step back, and really look at your agency. You have great clients, great talent and a great history. But that's all falling apart without the proper structure in place. You need to hire project managers, develop a more efficient billing department and keep track of time spent on each client. There's little productivity and this is easily fixed if you tore your eyes away from the creative department once in a while.

Take more time to get to know your employees beyond your close knit group. Although you always have your doors open and encourage conversation, it's obvious that the opinions that really matter are those of the employees closest to you. When issues arise in departments you're not close to, you don't do a thorough job of investigating the true issues and trying to resolve problems. Since August, almost half of the agency has quit and you tried to spin it as an opportunity to get new talent instead of addressing the real issue. The Steves are great, smart guys but you have little respect for your employees beyond the strategy guys and creatives.

"No Fun on the 24th Floor"

I worked at Red Tettemer full-time

Pros

- Smart co-workers
    - Laid back environment

Cons

Absolutely not structure which leads to overworked, unhappy employees and on top of that the end product suffers. Partners are very stuck in there ways, play favorites, and pit people against one another. No HR, no career growth, no raises.

Advice to Management

You'd think that losing your largest client and laying off 25% of your workforce and losing many more a few month later would be an eye opener. Take a look in the mirror, reevaluate how your run the agency, and try to improve.

"Great Place to Suffer"

I worked at Red Tettemer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• They have a cool place and location
    • Good beer

Cons

• There's no HR department. People can get away with anything. For instance, someone used a racial slur to the whole company, but didn't do anything about it.

• Very cliquey. You will be left out if you're not with the right crowd.

• They don't know how to keep their clients. As a result, employees get fired often.

• There's no structure within the departments. They're very disorganized with projects and leadership.

• Unpredictable workload. You'll will be working late nights and plenty of all nighters.

• Their style (digital wise) is dated. They lack knowledge in UX/UI design.

• Creativity is limited because there's only one opinion that matters. You will start over before a deadline.

• Very low pay and very hard to get promoted. Unpaid internships.

• They're not a collaborative team. People are very competitive to the point where employees will try to get others fired. It's hard to grow professionally without guidance and support.

Advice to Management

They need to start from the ground up

"Beware"

Pros

On-demand beer, small number of really talented and nice people, also a friendly office cat. Even if you don't like cats he's cool.

Cons

I find it really interesting the amount of positive feedback on this place, and then upon looking further I noticed it was mostly intern reviews. This place is an absolute circus and I mean that in the least complimentary way. There is zero structure, no process, and people have free reign to undermine each others knowledge and experience. There is a complete lack of respect between the departments and a complacency with quality of work that I find to be unforgiving. Besides that, “sweatshop” is an understatement. I have a long standing familiarity with late hours and the “agency lifestyle”, but nothing can compare to this place. There is a strange, underlying competition to stay the latest. If you leave the office before 7pm, prepare for dirty looks, gossip and judgement. Overall the company itself doesn't seem to be financially healthy. I would warn anyone before signing on to ask the right questions and be firm in your work balance expectations.

Advice to Management

Stop undercutting your talent. Raise the prices of your scopes so you can afford to staff appropriately. Lavish parties to keep up appearances isn't cool.

7. "Interactive Design Intern"

Former Employee - Interactive Design Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Interactive Design Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I really enjoyed my experience here as a design intern at Red's Interactive department. While the department is relatively younger than the rest of the agency's departments, the experience and mentorship guiding the department is phenomenal. Since the very first day I walked into the office, I was immediately thrown into a variety of projects. While some tasks for projects were less exciting than others, I never felt that I was doing "meaningless" work.

Furthermore, Red's culture is casual, quirky, and eclectic. It's filled with some of the most creative, talented, and hard-working individuals, which makes it a really great place to work. Interns are divided up into two teams to collectively ideate, formulate, and pitch an idea for a campaign. While rewarding for interns in other departments, I personally felt that as an interactive intern, because I was almost always busy with client work or an internal project, I didn't have quite the same role as other interns due to the nature of work within the interactive department.

Overall, I highly recommend this internship to anyone curious about agency life, particularly as a designer or developer. Everyone is really friendly and helpful, so even if you're just starting out, you will learn a ton.

Cons

Interns are not paid, just given Septa transit checks. Wish they could pay interns, but don't let the lack of pay deter you from applying!

Advice to Management

Set up some kind of formal role for interactive interns within the intern project, or create an intern project specific for interactive interns. Also a monetary stipend for interns would be helpful.

8. "Account Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Red Tettemer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great creative environment that allows for growth and opportunity internally.

Cons

Longer hours and constant accessibility outside of normal work hours.

"Awesome people. Awful life."

Pros

The people at RTOP are hands down some of the quirkiest, coolest, warmest folks around. I loved working with them and thought they were some of the smartest in the biz. Super fun parties and social events and beer fridge. Cool stuff to work on.

Cons

That said, the hours. are. really bad. Particularly in the creative department. All nighters are the norm. Weekend work is expected. You will cancel on friends and family time and time again for dinners, events, weekend trips. It becomes almost insane. Pay is also low.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that provides some balance.

"Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Account Management Intern
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern

Pros

It had amazing people, great atmosphere, good perks, and awesome clients

Cons

Unstructured and unpaid, the hours were long (~50 hours a week)

Advice to Management

A better structured internship, and minimum wage.