Red Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It's not easy work-- incredibly rewarding, but definitely can be hard to find the right work-life balance" (in 29 reviews)

• "Not enough communication to sales agents, you feel like you are not part of the rest of the company in many ways" (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Frontend Developer - Father of 3, best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was initially put off by many of the reviews for RV on here, but I took the job on the good will of some friends who were already here. It was the best decision for my family I've made in years.

Tech managers genuinely care about the happiness of their employees. Though the work hours are technically 9-5, there is flexibility work time, so long as you get you commitments complete. If you need to go pick your kids up and take them to the doctor, there is no problem at all. I have a teammate who gets in every day at 7 and leaves at 3.

I can't speak to the culture of the sales team, but as a member of the "tech" branch of RV, this is easily the best job I've ever had.

We have enormous input into the tech decisions that are being made, decisions that will have huge affects on all of our partners. Developers are empowered to contribute in meaningful ways, using the tooling they as a group decide to be most appropriate.

Want to consider a new/different architectural approach to something we're building? You are encouraged to do so. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I have a clear, actionable career path with steps, positions, promotions, and responsibilities clearly defined that give me something to work towards for the next 5+ years, and they include things that will make me a better developer or manager.

There is huge diversity in the types of development work done, and cross-team training is highly encouraged. Want to clock in, get some CSS/HTML done, and clock out? Those jobs are here (although people who are passionate about the client's success tend to do the best). Want to develop ground up website architectures? They got those too. Interested in Devops? Cloud services? Security? UX design/development? Want to build internal software products instead of websites? iOS/android programming? Want to build alexa skills? You can do any of those things here.

There are internal teams solely dedicated to employee training & mentoring. Want to learn React but don't know where to start? Don't feel comfortable with git or the command line? Attend one of the many free workshops dedicated to teaching those things.

There is even a program dedicated to training non-tech employees how to become a developer, where graduates of the program are hired directly as developers on the "tech" team. There's also a similar program that provides a similar service for people who aren't current RV employees.

Being at a company where there's no ambiguity on whether or not you can move up on the team is refreshing, coming from a company that had none of that at all.

Cons

RV has high standards.

You definitely don't have to be the best programmer, but you DO have to have a passion & drive to better yourself and your craft. People who don't have that drive don't tend to do well here.

The interview process is rigorous. You have a technical screening call, followed by a take home project, followed by multiple in-person interviews including a whiteboard session. My advice is that the best thing you can do in the interviews is just be very very passionate. You don't have to know everything, or have experience with all the hot new tools. It's most important to show your drive & passion to better yourself.

The pace of learning & performance is fast, but not unhealthy fast. As a father of 3, I was worried I wouldn't be getting home until 8 or 9 everyday or this would affect my family life. That has simply not been true at all. It's true you often have deadlines you need to hit, but the management team does a great job of trying to keep them realistic, or cutting scope on the project if the deadline isn't realistic, so that it becomes doable.

Because things move quickly, there is a lot of constant change occurring. In the codebase and in the company. People change teams & seats at the company with regularity, as the needs of different partners change rapidly.

The pace also means there is a lack of process around some things that could benefit from it. Some people like this, others don't. It depends on your personality. But things tend to fall on the "let's figure out how to get something done and just do it", instead of "let's create a Jira task and get approval from 3 different people, and detailed, granular requirements before we begin" side of things.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees to collectively make decisions that affect the whole company on a large scale.

2. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to make quick money

Cons

No cons that i can think of

Advice to Management

Great people who actually care about there job

3. "Workforce Manager"

Former Employee - Workforce Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Workforce Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If able to take constructive management feedback and able to fight on each sales call, there is alot of money to be made at RV. It is not for everyone, but there is financial security to be had if able to work within the lines.

Cons

Sales is hard, it can be demoralizing if the agent is not mentally strong. There can be a lot of bows put on this cake, but in the end it is just a sales center and pressure can be too much for many to take.

"Analyst"

I worked at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

overall a great environment, opportunities for growth, people are energetic about what they are doing, company is growing, offices and location are great

Cons

there can be a difference between corporate culture and sales culture. reputation in the sales centers is churn and burn with hard goals to meet and high rates of burnout

Advice to Management

keep growing the business and giving opportunities for internal promotions for your existing employees, don't ignore the sales centers when trying to establish the company's culture

5. "Sales Agent"

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, and the culture is excellent. All performance coaches help agents through rough times and really try to get them back one track. As a top selling agent even I benefited from the tweaking of my manager. As long as you follow the sales process its and easy, high paying profession that you can have fun doing!

Cons

Wish they allowed for more consist and better scheduling.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great company, great opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company gives you so much upward mobility and career advancement opportunity. In the world of sales it can help develop and hone your skills as well as prepare you for your next step career wise.

Cons

This job is very mentally demanding and can ware on you after a while. The pay can go south quickly if you let it get to you as a sales agent. the key is to stay as consistent and coachable as possible to achieve the best success.

7. "Inside Sales"

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Everything is great about this job

Cons

Nothing to say bad about this company

"Senior Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about Red Ventures to me is the flexibility. They want you there and you have to want to be there. The job had great benefits, great meals for cheap prices, great coffee and unlimited potential to grow with the company. I’ve been there for three years and have made really good money and friends. You have to be adaptable and coachable. And don’t make the job your LIFE. Make sure you have hobbies outside the job to focus on. I absolutely love the community involvement. Ric (The CEO) is amazing. Road to Hire is a great opportunity for people who may not have the same opportunities. Ric helped Puerto Rico after the disaster. And took a stand when NC made the ridiculous rule about these bathroom laws.

Cons

Change. The job is constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would only apply to some...listen to more of your senior agents “complaints”. View them as role models to the new people. Structure a strong mentoring program that would keep people there.

9. "Great Place"

Pros

Great base pay plus uncapped commissions // Fun environment to work in. Fast Paced if you love sales.

Cons

you start off working really late shifts. Alot of Micro managing. they expect you to MAKE people buy something if they do not want it. Thats just ridiculous if they dont want then they dont want it. But management will make it seem as if you did something wrong

Advice to Management

Way to much micro-managing. let your employees be self sufficient and Stop standing over there shoulders!

10. "You can make money here but company changes rapidly"

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Money can be made at this place, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Cons

Commission structure changes monthly so goal setting is very difficult. You are on the phone all day and limited to 30 min of break to use the bathroom or whatever else you may need to do. The calls you receive will count against you even if they aren't sellable opportunities which limits performance. In 2018, the company has made significant changes to the business structure, not in favor of the sales agents.