Red Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can take a toll" (in 31 reviews)

• "Comp structure constantly changes, as the company grows, they seem to pay sales agent less" (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Frontend Developer - Father of 3, best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was initially put off by many of the reviews for RV on here, but I took the job on the good will of some friends who were already here. It was the best decision for my family I've made in years.

Tech managers genuinely care about the happiness of their employees. Though the work hours are technically 9-5, there is flexibility work time, so long as you get you commitments complete. If you need to go pick your kids up and take them to the doctor, there is no problem at all. I have a teammate who gets in every day at 7 and leaves at 3.

I can't speak to the culture of the sales team, but as a member of the "tech" branch of RV, this is easily the best job I've ever had.

We have enormous input into the tech decisions that are being made, decisions that will have huge affects on all of our partners. Developers are empowered to contribute in meaningful ways, using the tooling they as a group decide to be most appropriate.

Want to consider a new/different architectural approach to something we're building? You are encouraged to do so. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I have a clear, actionable career path with steps, positions, promotions, and responsibilities clearly defined that give me something to work towards for the next 5+ years, and they include things that will make me a better developer or manager.

There is huge diversity in the types of development work done, and cross-team training is highly encouraged. Want to clock in, get some CSS/HTML done, and clock out? Those jobs are here (although people who are passionate about the client's success tend to do the best). Want to develop ground up website architectures? They got those too. Interested in Devops? Cloud services? Security? UX design/development? Want to build internal software products instead of websites? iOS/android programming? Want to build alexa skills? You can do any of those things here.

There are internal teams solely dedicated to employee training & mentoring. Want to learn React but don't know where to start? Don't feel comfortable with git or the command line? Attend one of the many free workshops dedicated to teaching those things.

There is even a program dedicated to training non-tech employees how to become a developer, where graduates of the program are hired directly as developers on the "tech" team. There's also a similar program that provides a similar service for people who aren't current RV employees.

Being at a company where there's no ambiguity on whether or not you can move up on the team is refreshing, coming from a company that had none of that at all.

Cons

RV has high standards.

You definitely don't have to be the best programmer, but you DO have to have a passion & drive to better yourself and your craft. People who don't have that drive don't tend to do well here.

The interview process is rigorous. You have a technical screening call, followed by a take home project, followed by multiple in-person interviews including a whiteboard session. My advice is that the best thing you can do in the interviews is just be very very passionate. You don't have to know everything, or have experience with all the hot new tools. It's most important to show your drive & passion to better yourself.

The pace of learning & performance is fast, but not unhealthy fast. As a father of 3, I was worried I wouldn't be getting home until 8 or 9 everyday or this would affect my family life. That has simply not been true at all. It's true you often have deadlines you need to hit, but the management team does a great job of trying to keep them realistic, or cutting scope on the project if the deadline isn't realistic, so that it becomes doable.

Because things move quickly, there is a lot of constant change occurring. In the codebase and in the company. People change teams & seats at the company with regularity, as the needs of different partners change rapidly.

The pace also means there is a lack of process around some things that could benefit from it. Some people like this, others don't. It depends on your personality. But things tend to fall on the "let's figure out how to get something done and just do it", instead of "let's create a Jira task and get approval from 3 different people, and detailed, granular requirements before we begin" side of things.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees to collectively make decisions that affect the whole company on a large scale.

2. "Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Ventures part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace culture and management

Cons

Flakey comp plans and late hours

Advice to Management

Listen to agent feedback more

3. "I enjoyed my time with this company"

I worked at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Great commodities, ability to work overtime

Cons

None that I can think of

4. "Sales Rep"

I worked at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere
    Very informational training and ongoing

Cons

Late nights
    Changes commission structure every other day

5. "What does this mean?"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company! Great pay & benefits.

Cons

Training could be a little more detailed & direct.

6. "Fantastic place to grow and learn"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Now that I am no longer an RV employee I can finally feel ethical writing a review with no incentive one way or the other if you choose to apply/work there or not. I’ve been waiting for this :) .

What an incredible experience I had. Opportunities for merit based growth, a voice in decision making processes no matter what the title or tenure is. Talented people and world class processes that will allow you to grow as a person, professional and leader, putting you in a position to succeed even if you leave the company. A culture of pushing the boundaries and not resting on your laurels. A growth mindset, a desire to be a top 10 company in the world.

The honest truth is this, Red Ventures is a place where you have an opportunity to get out of it what you put in. You have an opportunity to lead strategic thinking, to challenge the status quo, to learn technical skills. All of your opportunities are based not on what school you went to, or who you know but truly based on your willingness to make an impact and your ability to do so.

Red Ventures was also always fair with me, I came to a point in my personal life where I needed to go out and try to build my own company. While RV tried to make it easy for me to stay, when I let them know I wasn’t willing to make that work they supported me on my way out the door and even after. Incredible place to be.

Cons

If your going to work at RV and be successful this section is really the section you should be excited about reading, because more then cons, in my opinion these are the opportunities you have to make the organization better. It’s that type of place. Here they are.

RV’s culture, built on merit and knowledge sharing is having some difficulty scaling from startup to full blown multi national corporation. This will be apparent in a few places but one place it was apparent to me (coming to RV from a multi national) was there were never any full scale, standardized and repeatable global business planning sessions where the business units understood their place in the global portfolio and there growth and operational expectations for the year from executive to entry level. This worked well for a long time and may continue to work well, but in my view, at the scale it is now, it causes more confusion then benefit. Don’t expect to come in and there be replicable processes laid out for very much which can lead to confusion and duplicate workstreams inside the org. Or work happening on low priority projects without anyone knowing because most people aren’t fully aware of the priorities. They will figure this out 100% in their own unique RV way, but be aware of its progression

Advice to Management

They have it under control it’s a good management team .

7. "Sales review"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can make a lot of money, invested in your personal and professional growth, know what to expect each day, consistent schedule.

Cons

Bad schedule, only make good money if you excel, a little bit of dirty sales, boring, benefits are eh.

8. "Inside sales rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, coffee and nice management

Cons

Big turn over because they are about the numbers. You have no control of the calls coming in that are not even sellable and your numbers drop, then they fire you.

9. "Fun place to work"

I worked at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

-Fun atmosphere, they offer a lot of different ways to spend your free time.
    -competitive pay and commission structure.

Cons

Can’t really think of any.

10. "Good job"

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Really enjoyed working at red ventures because of the culture

Cons

Can be a bit tedious in terms of the structure