Red Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can take a toll" (in 32 reviews)

• "Comp structure constantly changes, as the company grows, they seem to pay sales agent less" (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Frontend Developer - Father of 3, best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was initially put off by many of the reviews for RV on here, but I took the job on the good will of some friends who were already here. It was the best decision for my family I've made in years.

Tech managers genuinely care about the happiness of their employees. Though the work hours are technically 9-5, there is flexibility work time, so long as you get you commitments complete. If you need to go pick your kids up and take them to the doctor, there is no problem at all. I have a teammate who gets in every day at 7 and leaves at 3.

I can't speak to the culture of the sales team, but as a member of the "tech" branch of RV, this is easily the best job I've ever had.

We have enormous input into the tech decisions that are being made, decisions that will have huge affects on all of our partners. Developers are empowered to contribute in meaningful ways, using the tooling they as a group decide to be most appropriate.

Want to consider a new/different architectural approach to something we're building? You are encouraged to do so. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I have a clear, actionable career path with steps, positions, promotions, and responsibilities clearly defined that give me something to work towards for the next 5+ years, and they include things that will make me a better developer or manager.

There is huge diversity in the types of development work done, and cross-team training is highly encouraged. Want to clock in, get some CSS/HTML done, and clock out? Those jobs are here (although people who are passionate about the client's success tend to do the best). Want to develop ground up website architectures? They got those too. Interested in Devops? Cloud services? Security? UX design/development? Want to build internal software products instead of websites? iOS/android programming? Want to build alexa skills? You can do any of those things here.

There are internal teams solely dedicated to employee training & mentoring. Want to learn React but don't know where to start? Don't feel comfortable with git or the command line? Attend one of the many free workshops dedicated to teaching those things.

There is even a program dedicated to training non-tech employees how to become a developer, where graduates of the program are hired directly as developers on the "tech" team. There's also a similar program that provides a similar service for people who aren't current RV employees.

Being at a company where there's no ambiguity on whether or not you can move up on the team is refreshing, coming from a company that had none of that at all.

Cons

RV has high standards.

You definitely don't have to be the best programmer, but you DO have to have a passion & drive to better yourself and your craft. People who don't have that drive don't tend to do well here.

The interview process is rigorous. You have a technical screening call, followed by a take home project, followed by multiple in-person interviews including a whiteboard session. My advice is that the best thing you can do in the interviews is just be very very passionate. You don't have to know everything, or have experience with all the hot new tools. It's most important to show your drive & passion to better yourself.

The pace of learning & performance is fast, but not unhealthy fast. As a father of 3, I was worried I wouldn't be getting home until 8 or 9 everyday or this would affect my family life. That has simply not been true at all. It's true you often have deadlines you need to hit, but the management team does a great job of trying to keep them realistic, or cutting scope on the project if the deadline isn't realistic, so that it becomes doable.

Because things move quickly, there is a lot of constant change occurring. In the codebase and in the company. People change teams & seats at the company with regularity, as the needs of different partners change rapidly.

The pace also means there is a lack of process around some things that could benefit from it. Some people like this, others don't. It depends on your personality. But things tend to fall on the "let's figure out how to get something done and just do it", instead of "let's create a Jira task and get approval from 3 different people, and detailed, granular requirements before we begin" side of things.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees to collectively make decisions that affect the whole company on a large scale.

2. "Great Company"

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

The staff is very helpful and friendly. There is a LOT of room to move up within the company and everyone is happy to help you get there. The company is open to new ideas and keeping people engaged. Pay is competitive and rewarding.

Cons

I currently do not have any.

3. "Best job, ever."

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, culture, benefits and pay!

Cons

Super stressfull and draining after a while

"Pulls You In, and Then You Realize...This Is Not Great"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Ventures (More than a year)

Pros

The money starts off pretty good.

Cons

You work every day and feel like your job is on the line, even if you are a good performer.

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees like they are adults. Not only that: don't act like your not drinking the punch and try to feed it to us.

"Sales Associate Program"

Former Employee - Sales Associate Program in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Program in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to network and be hired from within.

Cons

"If you're going to fail, fail fast", "Write everything in pencil"
    If coming in at an entry level position is it difficult to keep up with the ever changing policies and expectations. Often little respect for the sales associated who generate most of the company's profit.
    Horrible hours and a rotating schedule.

6. "Pays well, but stressful"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're good at sales, this is the job for you because the commission payout is great. Base hourly pay isn't bad either, but having that commission check once a month is definitely very helpful.

Cons

If sales is not for you then this job will be daunting and stressful. It can even be depressing because you'll see everyone around you doing well while you're struggling.

7. "Creative department - great for a year and then it goes downhill"

Current Employee - Associate Designer in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Overall flexibility. If you have an appointment you can leave early.
    -The food and drink prices are great. Whole meal $5, sides $2 and you can get coffee/lattes for $1-$2 with no added charge for alternative milk.
    -The buildings are modern and “cool.”
    -You get a good base of skills, especially for a designer/writer coming straight out of college.
    -They provide any programs you need and other creatives always share new plugins or/and programs.
    -The benefits and 401k is great.

Cons

You can't really take the reviews of someone that hasn't worked there for at least 2 years and actually finding someone that's lasted that long is difficult. But here's my cons after 2+ years working at RV.

-The creative department is unorganized and at times shady. They lure you in with the cool buildings and amenities and you think, "Wow this place is amazing." Also they’ll say you can work from home and they have “untracked” vacation days, but that depends on your manager. Some people end up with a relaxed manager and some are never allowed to wfh and have each day they take off tracked.

-The gender gap is crazy and the pay is not competitive. There were multiple senior designers and writers who were women and the male employee that they were managing was making the same salary as them. Most of the designers/writers just ended up quitting because the directors would never increase their salary.

-The actual work is mundane, because you end up working on the same initiatives regardless of what team your on. Really they should say in the description that majority of the work you do is production work. You’ll be working on offer changes, urgency banners, and hero’s with/without price points...and the end goal is to, “Make a rich company richer.”

-They promote too late, even if you're doing the job of a mid and senior level. Also they only promote and recognize your work at "mids" and "end of year reviews" which makes no sense.

-They can decide to switch you to different teams with only a few days notice and you have no option. Your career really is not in your hands because you have no decision in anything.

-They’re desperate for senior designers, so they’ll have anyone become a manager that is willing. This results in people who shouldn’t be managing and don’t want to, so they take it out on you and push you out of projects because they’d rather be working alone.

-You’ll do much better if you’re an extroverted designer, because they recognize employees who are loud and talkative more...even if the quality of work is the same as an introverted, quiet employee.

8. "Tons of opportunity, can be tough hours"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RV really does practice what it preaches around early responsibility and autonomy. It's been great to get so much power over what I'm working on on a day to day basis and has been huge for building analytical skills

Cons

Hours can definitely be tough sometimes on the sales support side too. It's not for everyone, I've enjoyed it now at a time when I'd rather have intensity and major returns on the work I put into my job, not necessarily focused on balance (I also don't have a family currently)

Advice to Management

Improve transparency to workers! Things like compensation, career pathing etc have worked out really well for me so far, there's just not a lot of up front transparency around how decisions get made and it all comes together

9. "Great place"

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Culture is fantastic and works well with others

Cons

Moves fast, if you aren't carefully you'll be swept away.

"OK pros and cons"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-great atmosphere
    -everyone tries to have fun
    -can earn bonus money everyday
    -great lunches

Cons

-if you cant sell you wont make money
    -pretty demanding
    -customers make you mad and if you have a bad day it hurts a lot
    -wrong # and unserviceable calls (calls where you cant sell) count and hurt your multiplier. the multiplier is how you make commission. everything you sell has a points and you divide it by the # of calls you get and if the total isn't above a 1.2 you get no bonus

Advice to Management

The unserviceable calls and calls where they are already a customer should not count since you cant sell anything to them. If you take them out of the equation then more associates would happier and could earn much needed money.