Red Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can take a toll" (in 34 reviews)

• "This place overall does a fantastic job of sugar coating the unending stress; it’s become an environment like any other call center" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Frontend Developer - Father of 3, best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was initially put off by many of the reviews for RV on here, but I took the job on the good will of some friends who were already here. It was the best decision for my family I've made in years.

Tech managers genuinely care about the happiness of their employees. Though the work hours are technically 9-5, there is flexibility work time, so long as you get you commitments complete. If you need to go pick your kids up and take them to the doctor, there is no problem at all. I have a teammate who gets in every day at 7 and leaves at 3.

I can't speak to the culture of the sales team, but as a member of the "tech" branch of RV, this is easily the best job I've ever had.

We have enormous input into the tech decisions that are being made, decisions that will have huge affects on all of our partners. Developers are empowered to contribute in meaningful ways, using the tooling they as a group decide to be most appropriate.

Want to consider a new/different architectural approach to something we're building? You are encouraged to do so. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I have a clear, actionable career path with steps, positions, promotions, and responsibilities clearly defined that give me something to work towards for the next 5+ years, and they include things that will make me a better developer or manager.

There is huge diversity in the types of development work done, and cross-team training is highly encouraged. Want to clock in, get some CSS/HTML done, and clock out? Those jobs are here (although people who are passionate about the client's success tend to do the best). Want to develop ground up website architectures? They got those too. Interested in Devops? Cloud services? Security? UX design/development? Want to build internal software products instead of websites? iOS/android programming? Want to build alexa skills? You can do any of those things here.

There are internal teams solely dedicated to employee training & mentoring. Want to learn React but don't know where to start? Don't feel comfortable with git or the command line? Attend one of the many free workshops dedicated to teaching those things.

There is even a program dedicated to training non-tech employees how to become a developer, where graduates of the program are hired directly as developers on the "tech" team. There's also a similar program that provides a similar service for people who aren't current RV employees.

Being at a company where there's no ambiguity on whether or not you can move up on the team is refreshing, coming from a company that had none of that at all.

Cons

RV has high standards.

You definitely don't have to be the best programmer, but you DO have to have a passion & drive to better yourself and your craft. People who don't have that drive don't tend to do well here.

The interview process is rigorous. You have a technical screening call, followed by a take home project, followed by multiple in-person interviews including a whiteboard session. My advice is that the best thing you can do in the interviews is just be very very passionate. You don't have to know everything, or have experience with all the hot new tools. It's most important to show your drive & passion to better yourself.

The pace of learning & performance is fast, but not unhealthy fast. As a father of 3, I was worried I wouldn't be getting home until 8 or 9 everyday or this would affect my family life. That has simply not been true at all. It's true you often have deadlines you need to hit, but the management team does a great job of trying to keep them realistic, or cutting scope on the project if the deadline isn't realistic, so that it becomes doable.

Because things move quickly, there is a lot of constant change occurring. In the codebase and in the company. People change teams & seats at the company with regularity, as the needs of different partners change rapidly.

The pace also means there is a lack of process around some things that could benefit from it. Some people like this, others don't. It depends on your personality. But things tend to fall on the "let's figure out how to get something done and just do it", instead of "let's create a Jira task and get approval from 3 different people, and detailed, granular requirements before we begin" side of things.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees to collectively make decisions that affect the whole company on a large scale.

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Good job. Don't take work home with you.

Cons

Can be stressfull at time.

"Great entry level sales job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, competitive environment, commission structure pays well for an entry level position

Cons

If you can't prove performance consistently they let you go

"Great company, if you put in the work."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leads provided (call center) put the grind in and you can make solid money

Cons

Micromanaged frequently, asking for bathroom breaks, sometimes sales processes can be a little shady

"Seemingly fun environment, but cracks appear quickly"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fun and energetic environment
    -Insurance and benefits are comprehensive

Cons

-Management does not care about you as a person, only your numbers
    -Expectations for sales agents are unrealistic at best
    -No decision in which division you get to work for
    -Commission structure is created so that even average agents get screwed out of money, plus a third of it is taken in taxes!
    -Working weekends with no say in your schedule, very little flexibility
    -PTO is a joke, only get about 5 days a year

"Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amenities- cheap meal options, basketball court, bowling alley
    Relaxed work environment, casual dress
    Great L&D opportunities

Cons

Unfair and discriminatory HR practices
    Declining culture
    Top heavy with senior leadership that is unfamiliar with day to day operations.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as a valuable asset and not just a number.

7. "Sales & Leadership Academy Participant"

Former Employee - Sales and Leadership Academy Participant in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales and Leadership Academy Participant in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing program that develops young people into becoming employable adults. Great alternative to college if you know what you want to do. 350$ weekly stipend while working from 10-5. It is not easy to get in, but is super worth it. Everyone is super nice and you will meet some of the coolest people while enjoying the benefits that Red Ventures employees have such as gym, basketball court, tennis courts, poker nights, and other cool events going on. I would highly suggest applying if you need an alternative to college. Also you get an hour or more for lunch everyday which is always so amazing.

Cons

Can be hard getting used to being in an always changing environment as well as getting close with new people who think differently from you. Also feedback can be hard depending on your attitude. Other than that the pros definitely out way the cons

Advice to Management

Free lunch would really make this the best program ever.

"Best and Worst People I've Ever Worked With"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Red Ventures ability to move quickly, shift gears, and develop their business is above and beyond anything I think I will ever experience again in my career.
    - Many of the people you work with are dedicated to their craft, passionate about learning, so friendly, and incredibly intelligent. They're impossible to replace, and you won't work with such capable/willing people anywhere other than RV. The culture of "grabbing a coffee" to learn about someone or their role is fascinating and every single employee I met takes part in this SO willingly.
    - Your work will ALWAYS matter at RV. You get to walk into work everyday feeling like you are directly impacting the company - this is the resounding "pro" across all departments.
    - You will learn more than you ever could anticipate. They'll tell you this walking in, but by the time you leave, you will STILL be mind-blown at what you've learned. No words can prepare you for how much you'll grow.
    - The benefits are pretty solid, the campus is incredible (if you're lucky enough to work at HQ), and the food is pretty good too :) .
    - Ric/Dan are both fascinating people that I will always deeply admire.
    - The non-profit programs being run out of RV are above and beyond usual "corporate social responsibility" - they are unbelievably impactful and beneficial to parties on both sides.

Cons

- There are some INCREDIBLY toxic managers at RV that leech off their teams and stomp on lower-level employees. You will hear crying in the bathrooms more often than you'd like, and you will need regular "vent sessions" with your colleagues to stay mentally intact. If you have tough skin and learn to ignore the leeches, you'll not only survive, but thrive. Drain the swamp RV. You KNOW who these people are. Care about your employees' mental wellbeing more than keeping a "thought leader" around to read articles and regurgitate ideas, claiming them as their own.
    - You will work hard. You will have incredibly long days, somewhat often. Due to an increased amount of responsibility/ownership, your mistakes will feel so much more real than anywhere else you've worked. Be prepared.
    - Horrible compensation. You will likely make double your salary when you leave - I've seen it happen time and time again.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the poor managers.

"Stress"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, and a fun place to work

Cons

STRESSFUL! Comp plan is not stable enough for me.

"It is what it is...."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate cafeteria, multiple company gyms, lots of employees perks, nice offices, and it’s not exactly hard work!

Cons

It’s a phone sales job, you have to deal with rude customers and essentially some really nasty people. There is a company “koolaid” that your expected to drink and those who succeed guzzle it by the gallon. Some of the performance coaches are cool and willing to help and some a slimy and stand over you breathing down your neck and the will passive - aggressively chastise you for not closing someone.

Also get used to the term passive - aggressive as that’s how all business here is conducted. The the old adage of “ we’re not saying this, but yes we are saying this” type of management and it’s up to you to read between the lines and interpret what’s being truly said.

Some products people just don’t want....
    No matter how you pitch

Advice to Management

Change has been implemented for the new year but it’s a slow process.

Get rid of the satalite internet product.