KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Red Ventures

Engaged Employer

Red Ventures

Add a Review

Red Ventures Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

Found 65 of over 1,443 reviews

3.8
Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias
Pros
  • "Great people, fun work environment(in 58 reviews)

• "Bowling alley, subsidized meals, happy hours, unlimited/untracked PTO, indoor basketball court, tennis courts, beautiful campus just south of Charlotte(in 57 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not the most exciting problems, some people struggle with work/life balance(in 50 reviews)

• "Distance from charlotte to fort mill(in 35 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Featured Divisions of Red Ventures

What people are saying about Red Ventures

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Red Ventures and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best choice I have ever made

Jul 2, 2020 - Front End Developer in Fort Mill, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Modern tech stacks Tons of opportunities to learn and grow Opportunities to give back Flexible schedule Great benefits Great culture Great work/life balance There are an infinite number of highly intelligent people that work at Red Ventures, it creates a great atmosphere to cultivate learning, and growth. the discounts on food are great too ;)

Cons

Before Covid19 working remotely was largely not an option for most employees, I hope that will now be revisited, as I believe it is the only part of the culture at RV that could see us lose some really good talent if this does not change. If you're uncomfortable with change this might not be the best place for you; things change quickly, and you will be pushed to get out of your comfort zone, I personally worked on three teams, and sat at five different desks in my first year.

2. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that truly cares about its employees

Apr 25, 2020 - Software Engineer in Fort Mill, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Red Ventures very clearly cares about its employees and tries to make it somewhere you want to work. They highly prioritize Learning & Development and provide lots of opportunities to move around the company. The tech stack varies by team, but is pretty relevant overall. I get to write in a language that's fairly new and evolving quickly, which is pretty nice. Most of the time, teams are given the autonomy to make decisions on tech stack and tools used. During the pandemic, it became very clear how much Red Ventures cares about its employees by being very transparent about the state of the company and scheduling virtual events (like workouts and talent shows) to break up the days.

Cons

Red Ventures is growing very rapidly and experiencing the inevitable identity crisis. From a tech side, it seems as though certain mentalities change every few months and it can be challenging to keep up. Burnout is very real here, though a problem that RV is aware of and attempting to fix. It varies greatly between teams, some champion work-life balance where some celebrate heroics often.

3. 4.0

Sales Support very different from Sales

Jan 14, 2021 - Data Analyst in Fort Mill, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, fun work environment

Cons

Not the most exciting problems, some people struggle with work/life balance

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great, Forward Thinking Company

Jan 31, 2020 - IT Operations Manager in Fort Mill, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best company that I have ever worked for. I am on the tech side of things, if that matters to you, the reader. Red Ventures is a very forward thinking company. They have vision and they also have the bias-to-action to execute on the vision that senior leadership has. Red Ventures is very work-life-balance friendly. My leadership team is very understanding if I have home or family issues that I need to take care of. It's also a place where folks that excel get the opportunities to work on projects they may have never had the opportunity to work on. If you're a hard worker, RV is the place for you. It's a rewarding and growth minded place of business. Red Ventures also has a lot of community involvement. They truly care about giving back to those less fortunate in this world. If you don't know how Red Ventures does this, do a Google search for Road to Hire, Golden Door Scholars, Forward787, and Life Hoops. You'll see how this amazing company is involved in their community and how they help bring up people who wouldn't normally have these opportunities. If you're considering Red Ventures, it's a fantastic company.

Cons

We're extremely busy all of the time. Sometimes we don't always finish everything to completion before we move on to the next project. This causes some projects to not be completely polished.

5. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging, fresh, and fun place to work

Jul 1, 2020 - Senior Content Strategist in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. A ton of flexibility in work hours - if I need to make an appointment or leave early or something, it's fine as long as everything gets done. 2. I love getting to work on a ton of different types of content. Have learned SEO writing, geo pages, long-form/editorial, email flows, display banners, social media, site UX, site transactional, and more! 3. Everyone is really smart and you learn a lot from people with different experiences and backgrounds. 4. pretty secure, steady job. We run lean, so if there's not a ton of need for work on a certain team, they'll definitely look for another spot for you. So you're likely to keep your job if you're performing well. 5. If you believe in something/an initiative, people will help you go after the initiative! I've been able to be a part of initiatives other people believed in as well as pooled other writers/designers to create and complete initiatives that I've believed in to make RV/content/culture/etc. better! 6. Benefits are good. Great health care and 401k matching. 7. to build off of flexibility in hours, I think work/life balance is really good. I can log off at night and not feel bad. I don't have to come in by a certain time necessarily, just around 9ish as long as I am there for meetings on time.

Cons

1. Sometimes life can get stagnant just cranking out the same old content week after week. But usually as it gets old, you get to change projects or teams. Things are always changing so it doesn't last. 2. There can be really crazy cycles of push push push on work, and then very little to do on other weeks. But that also depends on the team you're on. 3. There can be a pretty unfortunate view of business people toward designers and writers that our opinions don't matter. Or alternatively, that the views of entry-level creatives don't matter and they won't listen to you unless you're a senior. 4. Also, creatives (writers and designers) are severely underpaid in this industry. Starting writers make very little, but the pay can rapidly grow with proven performance too. (i.e., I got a 15% raise one year.) However, compared to other places, even at my level, it's probably not comparable. 5. Experience at RV really really really depends on your direct manager. You need someone that advocates for you often, because senior leaders don't necessarily listen to the underlings. I've always had really good bosses who did advocate for me, but for other people who might need to advocate for themselves, they can get ignored if they don't have a certain title. and that's a really poor experience.

6. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a place to stay

Jan 15, 2021 - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast pace, lots of opportunity to learn new things

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance

7. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      Current Employee

Great Culture

Sep 2, 2020 - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of happy hours, food, and games. The office has taken huge strides to make our culture a more inclusive and safe place in response to all of on going police brutality. They also take advantage of new technologies. And a great work life balance.

Cons

Lots of team movement from time to time.

8. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best place I worked at so far

May 16, 2020 - Platform Engineer in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quick prefix: majority of negative reviews come from sales side. On the sales support side (tech, etc.), RV is an awesome company to work for in my opinion. I started at Red Ventures in 2018. Between then and now, it's changed several times and for the better. I really believe Ric cares about his employees and cares about the future of where Red Ventures is growing. Red Ventures is the perfect place to grow your career quickly, experiment, learn something new, and perhaps pivot to something else. - Competitive pay compared to market + untracked PTO - Awesome, easy going culture and very smart people who are willing to help - Cool campus. It's inspiring to come in to work everyday. - Cheap lunches - New equipment (widescreen monitors, new MacBook Pros) - Tech stack uses modern frameworks and tools - Change is frequent, you get to explore a wide range of different problems to solve - You will learn something new pretty much everyday Working at RV requires you to be a certain type of person: agile, ready for change, and ability to get things done. If you like slow and steady, rarely changing work, and don't like to be pushed to your limits, this is not the place for you. If you struggle with fast-paced work, this is not for you. If you don't personally enjoy learning every single day, this is not for you.

Cons

- Finding a good manager is crucial to your success, if you get stuck with a bad manager, you won't grow as fast. Your manager must be able to fight for you instead of just please his/her higher-ups. - On the above point, there is a handful of bad managers and I feel bad for the their subordinates. - Some engineers who get promoted shouldn't be promoted. - Work / life balance exists only if you seek it and implement it. Starting and leaving at constant times worked wonders for me. - I have seen people work 50+ hours week over week and essentially burn out. - Fast pace causes tech debt in the long run. - A big amount of tech debt, there is a lot of decade old spaghetti code that makes a ton of money. Often the engineers who originally wrote the code are no longer with the company so you have to do some reverse engineering to figure it out. - A lot of meetings which could have been emails/Slack messages. - Priority switching due to business / partner demands during the week increases overall scope of sprints.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. Red Ventures - Digital | Division of Red Ventures
      Current Employee

Your Mental Health Isn't Worth It - A Marketing (Not Sales) Perspective

Aug 21, 2020 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Campus Perks: Not sure how much these matter now since the company is entirely WFH retroactively, however, subsidized lunches were great to have. The fitness center is a nice touch as well. I've never had the opportunity to take any of the classes offered, however, because I didn't have much of a work life balance. Same goes for the basketball court, bowling area, ping pong tables, what have you. Portfolio: You get the opportunity to work with some really great brands like Bankrate and Healthline. There's also some partnerships the company works with as well. If you're looking for broad marketing experience across multiple industries there is variety at Red Ventures in terms of verticals. Talent Poaching: Some companies that seek to carry on the Red Ventures culture (often ex. Red Ventures employees that went off to work for or built their own companies) will poach you for your experience. So I guess your experience would count for something in this instance, as many companies know Red Ventures in the area for producing exhausted, mindless, and overworked fresh-out-of-college professionals.

Cons

Culture & Mentality: I'd advise steering clear of Red Ventures if you're looking for a meaningful marketing experience. One of the pillars of the company should be "it's not what you know but who you know", while there is a level of politics in almost every company, at RV it is grossly exacerbated. As an experienced hire, your experience is meaningless to the company. What matters most is how quickly you can get in with a 'throwing the football' mentality with senior leadership and how quickly you can carry a sense of arrogance instead of humility when you are faced with a challenge. Limited growth: Red Ventures often promotes from within, where experience and performance do not matter, but rather how good you get in with senior leadership. This results in poor skills from 2 years out of college students managing employees that have more experience than them. More often than not, this results in poor management direction. The managerial approach at Red Ventures is instilled to 'drive and push' as opposed to mentoring and coaching individuals for growth or identifying key opportunities for growth proactively and strategically push where needed. There's a heavy work imbalance between associates/ senior associates and leadership. More often than not, lower level employees are in the weeds whereas senior leadership becomes severely detached from the day-to-day. This often results in ridiculous internal asks from leadership that are time consuming and result in zero progress (ex. internal meetings and reviews are held to the utmost importance where half days are blocked off) Mental Health - I saw a similar review here regarding an analyst who reported suffering from mental health and work/life balance only to be told by senior leadership that the expectation is to work 60-90 hour weeks. I believe it. Red Ventures does not care about your mental wellbeing. If you voice any concern regarding workload, lack of resources, or challenges it is viewed as a weakness that is often exploited. I've seen talented, driven people fired just because they've asked how to best prioritize internal, never external facing or key business driving, tasks and then were blamed for lack of time management. I've personally experienced first hand bullying from senior leadership and been targeted as a minority at this company. If someone has been at the company for over 5 years they are held on a pedestal of self righteousness and cannot be at fault. While Red Ventures may claim to take allegations of mental illness seriously, I can assure you, they do not. From my previous experience working in marketing, this position has single highhandedly caused the most stress and the most mental sickness I've experienced. The level of toxicity and having to 'prove oneself to the team' and 'bolster more of your achievements to everyone' is not only mundane but makes employees feel like they are never good enough. It's quite genius, actually, if your employees never feel like they are good enough, they will strive harder for your approval and attention. I've had moments where I've went to the bathroom to sob after facing emotional abuse from not even the partners or clients we work on, but from the internal team itself. The TLDR here is, if you are looking for a company that wants to grow you instead of ring you out for all that you have, look for another large company experience in Charlotte where you have actual mentors and managers that train for personal excellence.

10 people found this review helpful
    10. Red Ventures - Sales | Division of Red Ventures
      Former Employee

A 2-star rating might be generous, but I did like my coworkers so I have to give them credit for hiring decent people.

May 26, 2020 - Inside Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are motivated and work very very hard. Great coworkers and people to be around. I will say they had some great architects design the place because the buildings are almost the best part.

Cons

Difficult to have a work/life balance. Unless you like working weekends and working odd hours. Probably the most stressful job you'll ever have. Management is confusing and usually not on the same page. They love transparency from their employees, however it's usually difficult to get transparency from them in return. In my opinion, the best way to describe working there...it's like your a fish out of water, trying to fend for your life.

5 people found this review helpful