Redbox Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Erik Prusch

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is struggling to figure it out (in 16 reviews)

• Constant change it can be frustrating sometimes (in 6 reviews)

1. "It has been great, it's a great ompany to work for!"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative II in Lima, OH
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative II in Lima, OH

Pros

I can make my own hours, no one looking over my shoulder, I never see my boss much. I work at my own pace.

Cons

I am a remote employer so I dont see others that often, some peoplewithin the comapany are not so friendly and have a negative attitude and tend to send nasty emails.

Advice to Management

If it were possible, get someone out in the field to train new employees, I think it is so important to get them good training.

2. "Amazing. It's refreshing to find a company that is more interested in results than wardrobe."

Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee-centric policies, work/life balance, freedom for creative thinking, no walls between top management and "grunts" Free fruit, soda, rentals, cereal, etc.

Cons

Repetitive, disconnect between divisions, rapidly changing policy or procedural implementation, 24/7 support.

Advice to Management

Pay Machine Support more, they are more directly responsible for profits than are other departments.

"Best company I have worked for. From a Former Contractor turned perm"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Redbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are treated very well within the company offering many great benefits outside of the normal health care and time off. Excellent 401K matching, concierge service and even stock grants if you are high enough level. All employees are eligible for a bonus. Salaries are competitive (I'm in HR, so I know). some of the most intelligent and creative people I know work here. No real dress code, people can wear t-shirts and jeans if you like. The pace is very fast and you need to be ready for it. Management does a good job listening to its employees and often come to us for new ideas. Also, most people are working 40 - 45 hrs a week. there may be times you need to work more, but we value work life balance.
    Rated 15 on Forbes top 100 fastest growing companies in 2012, so career opportunities are plentiful.

Cons

Constant change is a pro and con. If this is something you cannot keep up with, you will easily fall behind.

5. "Flexible Hours, Good Pay, Self Supervised"

Current Employee - FSR1
    Current Employee - FSR1

I have been working at Redbox part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Decent Vacation Time
    52 cents per mile reimbursement
    Working alone, self supervised

Cons

Use your personal car to travel from kiosk to kiosk
    Working on outside kiosks in bad/cold weather
    Part of your review is based on a secret shopper who might visit a kiosk after someone smashed the touch screen or vandalised the machine and it counts against you.

Advice to Management

More skip level meetings

6. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Field Support Representative I
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative I

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Redbox has your best interests at heart. Yes, like any job, there are very sterssful weeks, and then the normal weeks. They keep you in the loop on how the company is doing, and offer many perks like a wellness program, and fun employee constests (one of which, I won!). You pretty much work on your own, and the pay is good.

Cons

You have to use your own vehicle at a level 1. This can cause serious wear and tear. And if you don't have a larger vehicle, good luck.

7. "casual culture, good salary, highly modern office with many amenities"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are cool, salaries are very competitive, great office, very good benefits package for FTE. lots of company sponsored events, gifts to employees, recognition, execs tried to communicate with dev team about work conditions/teams, but feedback given was rarely put into practice

Cons

not a tremendous amount of career advancement for software. way too many contractors being hired for a short amount of time, after they became adept at the system, they were going and FTEs had to retrain them. doing development on the actual boxes required a lab with redboxes, hard to emulate for quick debug. lot's of lua script, also hard to debug

Advice to Management

hire less contractors and focus on cultivating domain-expert FTEs. there was way too much turnaround with contracts and having the FTEs retrain them constantly is counter productive

"Solid work environment with unsure future"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is not typical of most $2b companies in Illinois. Feels more like a start-up than a corproation

Cons

The culture feels like its starting to change (for the worse). Still better than most companies, but not as great as it used to be.

9. "Wonderful, Diverse, Inclusive"

Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL
    Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about this job is the atmosphere. I've made many new friends who have common interests and I'm able to come to work dressed in comfortable clothing. Everyone including management is friendly. The job can get a little tedious and repetitive after a while, but there is always opportunity for training in new areas and the possibility of promotion. This is a great job to make decent money while going to school or working towards a better position. Great perks and great insurance.

Cons

Nothing so egregious it deserve complaint, overall a great place to work.

10. "great experience and fun"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

use own vehicle, wear and tear. long hours.

"Innovative"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Redbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture. I didn't realize what that meant until I worked at a place that felt like family. I met some of the smartest and most talented people here.

Cons

Coinstar's ownership ruined it. Its not like what it used to be, and they gutted some very important departments that could've kept the unstoppable innovation going.