Redfin Associate Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Redfin CEO Glenn Kelman
Glenn Kelman

Pros
  • Great work/life balance with complete freedom of schedule (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and paid vacation - if you've never been an agent elsewhere, this might make you laugh (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 29 reviews)

• Some associate agents get most of the tours assigned to them for various reasons (in 17 reviews)

1. "Associate Agent"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Columbia, SC
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor

Pros

Great company culture. If you like traditional and the way things have always been done then this is not the company for you. It's much more like an entrepreneurial/startup type place. They do a great job of taking care of the associate agents.

Cons

Not a complaint about the company, but real estate is a tough field for work/life balance.

Advice to Management

You do great training! In the future training on work/life balance would be helpful and figuring out a way to use the aa's more who want to grow in the company. For example, my team lead is slammed, I've been an agent on my own, and want to gain more experience so if I was allowed to take some of the work off her it would help both of us.

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept, especially for new agents or agents that are new to an area. You get paid every time you get in your car(although you don't get gas reimbursement )!

Cons

As a contractor for nearly 2 years, I feel very under appreciated. I keep my calendar widely open, but management seems to think Associate Agent's should be open 24/7 yet not pay us to keep an open calendar.
    There is the expectation we are contractors, but we aren't getting enough money to survive let alone pay all of the Real Estate dues, MLS dues, gas, and supplies for the job. I'm in a newer market working out kinks, we've had AA's come and go, as well as agent's in the not even 2 years I've worked for Redfin.
    It comes down to that you will not grow much as a real estate agent with Redfin.
    Everyone in management drank way too much corporate Redfin "koolaid".

Advice to Management

I have had only great reviews and stayed with Redfin in my market longer than any AA or Agent has but don't get any recognition for that.
    Also, why has the pay scale for Associate Agent's changed, yet the cost of living hasn't gone down? I've seen it change twice and not for the better.
    I have open availability most days, but newer agents will be given appointments I could have taken. Also, why is there no bonus or pay increase for someone who has been with the company over a year? I have much more knowledge on the area and how Redfin works than an agent who started 2 weeks ago but is getting paid the same as me.

"Associate agent"

Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Redfin (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great internal app for employees

Cons

Change pay each year (it's gone down each year)
    Management lies
    No upward mobility
    Clients aren't yours

Advice to Management

As touted in the interviews, stick to your word and hire from within

5. "Redfin has been a great entry to real estate"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Baltimore, MD
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor

Pros

Great work/life balance with complete freedom of schedule. Great team atmosphere with plenty of support. Fairly casual interaction with other Redfin employees is the norm. Plenty of opportunity to learn, grow, and advance. Company is growing and expanding. Some jobs/appointments almost feel too easy for the amount of compensation. For those just starting in real estate this is a great job and company to begin with allowing you to earn as you learn and not have to "tread water" without steady income as you build your business.

Cons

There is no guarantee on income. Can be feast or famine depending on the time of year and how busy the things are. Lots of driving which can be very back and forth, though that can be minimized on your selected territory and range. Having a smaller service area can limit the amount of jobs you get booked for too though. This being a new way of working the home buying process can lead to frustration from more traditional style Realtors when interacting with them for showings, feedback, and follow up. Some jobs/appointments can feel under compensated for. No benefits with this position, unlike deal writing agents who seem to have a great and wide ranging benefit package. Your income has to be closely managed to plan for taxes though this is the case with any 1099 position. Other fees/dues associated with maintaining a real estate license can pile up and these are paid for by Redfin for their salaried agents.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a great job. They have always been willing to listen and receptive of new ideas.

"A great company to work with"

Current Employee - Associate Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Agent in Dallas, TX

Pros

Family atmosphere in which you can make your own schedule while working with very warm and friendly coworkers. It is unlike any traditional residential brokerage in DFW.

Cons

As a start-up and currently a private company, there is a slight feeling of instability. As though it might change overnight or you have a new regional boss every six months. So far so good, though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Whatever complaints one may have, this company is far and away one of the best I've worked at. Thank you.

"Full Time Associate Agent"

Current Employee - Associate Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Redfin (Less than a year)

Pros

New to the industry and newish to the area, Redfin has given me the perfect platform to learn both my industry and my community. I get to do the "fun stuff" daily as I host home tours, inspections, etc. Redfin's compensation package seems fair for associate agents and I couldn't be happier with my choice to join the Redfin team. The company's mission and values aren't just a statement--they are truly a way of life at Redfin and at the end of the day, I always feel good about the work I do.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.

Advice to Management

If there were to be any, I'd say to maybe consider making AA's actual employees in the future so we can stay in this position long term with benefits, etc.

8. "Associate Agent"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Phila, PA
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Phila, PA

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility. No responsibility. Pay is decent.

Cons

No reimbursement for miles driven. Sometimes the pay doesn't match the work put into the work. Recommendations usually fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Listen to advice from employees.

Former Freelancer - Associate Agent in White Plains, NY
    Former Freelancer - Associate Agent in White Plains, NY

I worked at Redfin (More than a year)

Pros

Get paid regularly every two weeks. Work on your own time. Meet interesting new people.

Cons

You have to keep your calendar open 24/7 to make a decent check per week. It is not just touring clients, you have to write insights within 24 hrs. You are the black-sheep of the company. Company managed like a soap opera based on favoritism. Great niche company, needs more professional management.

Advice to Management

Reward the people who clients like not your friends.

Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Redfin (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own schedule with online calendar, work alot or work a little.

Cons

The Redfin Associate Agent role is not well paid, the AA is a licensed real estate agent that does the grunt work for the agent that writes the deal and that agent also gets the commission from the sale/purchase of the house. The AA goes on house tours with prospective buyers, places For Sale signs, attends inspections, etc. The AA gets paid an average of about $15.00 per hour, no mileage, nothing else. The potential of becoming a deal writing agent is there, not sure how long that would take to get there.

Advice to Management

Pay the AA more money, link a bonus from the commission to the AA. The money spent on new For Sale signs was a waste, they are difficult to read and don't help buyers understand that Redfin is a different kind of real estate brokerage. I was told that Redfin comes from the idea of redefine, as in redifine the idea of a real estate agent. I'm not seeing that much difference. No one is going to read this anyway.....

"Great RE brokerage to work for!"

Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Love the flexibility the job offers.

Cons

None, it's the best part-time job you can find.

Advice to Management

Help pay part of the MLS fees.