Redfin Associate Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Redfin CEO Glenn Kelman
Glenn Kelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is manageable and nobody expects you to go beyond your 40 (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, no lead generation - all clients come from Redfin, great benefits, making six figures within first year (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 39 reviews)

• employees are over worked with absolutely no work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. "Associate Agent"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing, fun and rewarding job

Cons

Capacity utilization. Would like to work more and more.

Current Employee - Associate Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Redfin part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice office enviroment

Cons

Minimum wage job at best with lots of travel and no reimbursement for mileage, no company benefits, 1099 contractor as an Associate Agent. The company has a cult-like atmosphere with a high turn-over rate. Promotions are very cliquish, as I had consistent 9-10s on "Customer Satisfaction" reviews and was never promoted despite applying for numerous W-2 Agent positions. Company expectations are high with most staff working 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance needs to be addressed. Less focus on Customer Satisfaction reviews, minimize work-load for W-2 Agents. Make Associate Agents W-2 employees with better incentives.

3. "Great for new agents"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor

Pros

Paid twice per month for events.
    You control your hours for scheduled events.
    Awesome technology
    No fees to work here
    Great team and mission
    Growing company

Cons

You never know when you will work or if you will work. ( busy most of the time tho!)
    Mostly weekend hours and nights.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Redfin does an amazing job of preparing you what you're going to see in the Field. My Houston team is amazing, and will drop a hat to help with any issue. Not only is my team great with me, but give our customers the best service they could possibly ask for.

Cons

To this point, I don't have anything negative to say

"Disillusioned"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- VERY flexible. I can open and close my calendar anytime I like. I work exactly when I want to.
    - Most of the agents that I've interacted with (in person) have been delightful.
    - Zero responsibility. You tour with the client then go on your way.

Cons

- Agent pay has already decreased since I started a month ago.
    - No extra pay for working on holidays = no incentive to open calendar.
    - Extremely thankless job. I have dutifully taken meticulous notes about customers every single time I tour with them and the deal writing agent reaps all of the benefits of my interactions with the client. Sometimes I get a quick email from the agent thanking me for my notes, but most of the time it's crickets.
    - As a contractor, the job is very isolating. You are only paid for touring with the clients. Any other time that you spend in the office (meetings, extra shadowing) is unpaid.
    - It's impossible to develop any relationships with other agents or even other associate agents.
    - This is not a con about Redfin, but real estate start up fees are very high. Between the cost of real estate classes, licensing test fees, license fees, fingerprinting fees, MLS fees, eKey fees, and mileage...it adds up and it is going to take longer than expected to recoup fees by working as an Associate Agent.

Advice to Management

I really love the job, but feel very under appreciated. As much as they tell me in email that they couldn't do this job without us, the pay rate and policies make me feel under valued. Happier AA's work harder.

There should be a reward, bonus, or pay increase for staying in this position for a certain amount of time. It's fine at first, but after awhile I feel like the good AA's are going to disappear. What's the incentive to stay?

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept, especially for new agents or agents that are new to an area. You get paid every time you get in your car(although you don't get gas reimbursement )!

Cons

As a contractor for nearly 2 years, I feel very under appreciated. I keep my calendar widely open, but management seems to think Associate Agent's should be open 24/7 yet not pay us to keep an open calendar.
    There is the expectation we are contractors, but we aren't getting enough money to survive let alone pay all of the Real Estate dues, MLS dues, gas, and supplies for the job. I'm in a newer market working out kinks, we've had AA's come and go, as well as agent's in the not even 2 years I've worked for Redfin.
    It comes down to that you will not grow much as a real estate agent with Redfin.
    Everyone in management drank way too much corporate Redfin "koolaid".

Advice to Management

I have had only great reviews and stayed with Redfin in my market longer than any AA or Agent has but don't get any recognition for that.
    Also, why has the pay scale for Associate Agent's changed, yet the cost of living hasn't gone down? I've seen it change twice and not for the better.
    I have open availability most days, but newer agents will be given appointments I could have taken. Also, why is there no bonus or pay increase for someone who has been with the company over a year? I have much more knowledge on the area and how Redfin works than an agent who started 2 weeks ago but is getting paid the same as me.

"Great Company"

Former Contractor - Associate Agent
    Former Contractor - Associate Agent

I worked at Redfin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I love the values that the company promotes. Everyone was very friendly, accountable, and gave me a sense of confidence in myself to help each and every buyer along the way.

Cons

As an associate agent, the pay is great, but you do not receive full benefits as you would in a full-time agent position, even if you put in full-time hours.

"Associate agent"

Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Associate Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Redfin (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great internal app for employees

Cons

Change pay each year (it's gone down each year)
    Management lies
    No upward mobility
    Clients aren't yours

Advice to Management

As touted in the interviews, stick to your word and hire from within

9. "Associate Agent"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Columbia, SC
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor

Pros

Great company culture. If you like traditional and the way things have always been done then this is not the company for you. It's much more like an entrepreneurial/startup type place. They do a great job of taking care of the associate agents.

Cons

Not a complaint about the company, but real estate is a tough field for work/life balance.

Advice to Management

You do great training! In the future training on work/life balance would be helpful and figuring out a way to use the aa's more who want to grow in the company. For example, my team lead is slammed, I've been an agent on my own, and want to gain more experience so if I was allowed to take some of the work off her it would help both of us.

"Redfin has been a great entry to real estate"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Baltimore, MD
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor

Pros

Great work/life balance with complete freedom of schedule. Great team atmosphere with plenty of support. Fairly casual interaction with other Redfin employees is the norm. Plenty of opportunity to learn, grow, and advance. Company is growing and expanding. Some jobs/appointments almost feel too easy for the amount of compensation. For those just starting in real estate this is a great job and company to begin with allowing you to earn as you learn and not have to "tread water" without steady income as you build your business.

Cons

There is no guarantee on income. Can be feast or famine depending on the time of year and how busy the things are. Lots of driving which can be very back and forth, though that can be minimized on your selected territory and range. Having a smaller service area can limit the amount of jobs you get booked for too though. This being a new way of working the home buying process can lead to frustration from more traditional style Realtors when interacting with them for showings, feedback, and follow up. Some jobs/appointments can feel under compensated for. No benefits with this position, unlike deal writing agents who seem to have a great and wide ranging benefit package. Your income has to be closely managed to plan for taxes though this is the case with any 1099 position. Other fees/dues associated with maintaining a real estate license can pile up and these are paid for by Redfin for their salaried agents.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a great job. They have always been willing to listen and receptive of new ideas.