Redox, Inc. Reviews

Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company culture

Jan 22, 2021 - Implementation Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall a company that lives up to its values. Emphasis on teamwork and clear culture of support, growth and mentorship.

Cons

Tough times during covid but I believe in the leadership, direction and marketplace for this company and product.

2. 5.0

Value-driven, Remote-first Company filled with Amazing Ego-less people

Jul 20, 2020 - Backend Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of companies that have a set of values like "Respect, Integrity, Communication and Excellence" from Enron. Redox has 10 Core company Values. The difference is they operate daily according to those values. Even small decisions are measured up to the values. When the company says they value learning, they make decisions that push you to learn. Things like learning new libraries or new paradigms. It's been refreshing to be part of a company that actually operates according to their stated values. One of my favorite things about the company is the team that Redox has built. I've yet to meet a more determined, cohesive group of people operating without an ego. Disagreements happen but they are always approached with humility, care and intention. The company has also put a lot of work into separating out the roles of Coach and Tech Lead. They both help you grow but in different ways. There is so much effort put into making sure that Redoxers succeed in reaching their personal and professional goals. Work-life balance is superb. Everyone is gracious with time off to pick up the kids or just take the day off to recharge. I think i'm swooning now so i'll stop. Come work for Redox if you get the chance!

Cons

In these most recent coronavirus fueled difficult times the company has had to make decisions where one value is pitted against the other. The decisions resulted in actions that are in opposition to who we are as a company. Leadership recognized that and talked about it. I wish there were more communication about the plan to correct that deviation. Values are important here so deviations should be talked about a lot. You won't be paid like a facebook employee.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

False transparency, but also generous in many ways

Sep 2, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Generous parental leave - Unlimited time off is generally true (might be team specific, as an engineer it is not difficult to coordinate) - Modern tech stack (mostly Typescript and Node, some older JS code) and interest in adopting new technologies - Healthy engineering culture - e.g. regular engineering wide meetings to share across delivery teams - Productivity fund is generous (a budget for home office or other fun things) - Health insurance is generous and covers dependents well

Cons

- As another reviewer put it, it's still very much a "good ol' boys club" of former Epic pals and their network - if you aren't in that club you may perpetually feel left out and left wondering why certain decisions were made, or why person X was hired. There is a hidden layer of drama and gossip among management that is concealed by promoting a culture of transparency and openness - Recently Redox laid off a significant percent of their staff, including a lot of engineers, some who had been at the company for many years and seemingly were very valued by the company, though clearly that wasn't true. The founders released a podcast where they claimed they would explain why those people were the ones who were laid off, but really it was left unanswered. Quite a few engineers had recently "leveled up" but were let go, pointing to perhaps that they somehow landed on someone's hit list or somehow not Redox-y enough (their cult-like word for embodying the company's values - though leveling up requires being Redox-y enough, so it is seemingly contradictory) - The layoff speaks to this lack of real transparency - the Friday before the lay offs (the following Tuesday) the "all hands" meeting was quite terse and hinted at that if trends continued, they may need to "adjust their plans". It turns out this actually meant "we're planning to lay off 25% of employees and going to do so in just a few days" - Salary seems a little low ($110-125k for mid level) - Frequent re-organization of delivery teams - most of my colleagues have been on at least 3 to 5 incarnations of different teams in the past 2 or so years. While this is somewhat expected for a growing company, it feels more like baseball cards getting traded around by engineering management rather than strategic organization

9 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Genuine people who support each other towards a noble goal and beyond

Jun 17, 2020 - Full Stack Developer in College Station, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Colleagues provide support on multiple fronts: professional, technical, personal; even spanning across teams - Company values ("Redoxiness") serve as actual guiding principles instead of becoming empty corporate promises - Working towards bridging the technical gaps in the healthcare industry is a meaningful and ubiquitous endeavor

Cons

With its presence in integrating healthcare organizations and vendors, it's unfortunately particularly susceptible to feeling the effects of drawn-out, health-related crises like COVID-19.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0

Pros and Cons

Aug 24, 2020 - New Redoxer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Typically, a strong emphasis on work-life balance - Be wary of the bulk of positive reviews, as Redox tasks new hires with leaving positive reviews and has HR leave a number themselves - Generally good, smart people that are passionate about improving healthcare integration - Competitive maternity/paternity and family leave - A compelling product filling a need in the market - Work from home policy - While remote-first, there is an emphasis put on company wide initiatives and meetings to get to know your peers

Cons

- I'll start by saying that Redox can be a good place to work. I will list out a number of cons, and while valid, it is more than simply its failings and has a number of positive attributes. I do not want this to come off as disgruntled, but as someone who is concerned about the company's current trajectory. - Leadership is often out of touch, hired in from larger organizations for the name recognition. These are people who have made their money and are not particularly invested, nor tuned in, to the product, the company, or to those under them. - A true boy's club under the guise of a culture that claims to prioritize diversity. Women are often overlooked and undervalued. Almost all top-down decisions are made by men. - Redox claims to value diversity, and will wax poetic on their marketing materials, but has an overwhelmingly white (and male) workforce. It's the kind of company that believes diversity of thought counts as equitable hiring. Diversity sessions are often lead by white men with no training whatsoever, just a confident attitude and a smile. - There is often too lax an attitude and a lack of accountability. Existing customers go ignored, prospective customers are forgotten about. Like most startups, there are aggressive targets. Hard to imagine achieving them with such a lack of effort and unwillingness to work 40 hours a week. - Internal politics are heavy. Everyone is talking to someone about somebody. - Unclear and unstructured growth paths. Favoritism with upper management is very, very important. - Painfully obvious lack of company direction. Decisions are made and then rebuffed in weeks/months time. Worrisome future outlook. - Bloated middle management layer.

11 people found this review helpful

Redox, Inc. Response

Head of People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. I know it comes from a place of genuine concern. Reading your review, there were parts that resonated -- particularly those about smart, driven people. There were other parts that are concerning. I’d appreciate the opportunity to listen if you (or other Redoxers who have perspective on these themes), would be willing to to talk it through. I feel bad this has been your experience and would like to understand it better. Below are a few points that I want to share some perspective on, for folks who might not have full context. But again, for any Redoxers reading this review who would like to share thoughts on the themes mentioned, I’d love to listen. Andy K - We do suggest folks leave a review here on Glassdoor as one of the last steps in the onboarding process. It’s timed for 6 months after a new Redoxer joins, which is usually enough time to get a feel for the place. There was a period when it was earlier, but we pushed it back based on feedback from the team. We ask for an honest review (good or bad), and the suggestion is clearly marked as optional. We don’t follow up or track whether people leave reviews. We haven’t made any special effort to have People Ops folks leave reviews. - We have made progress on building a more diverse team and still have a long way to go--we want the makeup of Redox to reflect society at large. We started with a focus on gender in the spring of 2019. At the time, 23% of the company was non-male identifying. That number is 35% today. We were on track to go above 40% this year before we paused hiring due to Covid. We had also set 2020 goals to make similar progress to increase diversity of race and ethnicity, as well as age. It’s frustrating to be stalled due to lack of hiring at the moment, especially since changing the makeup of a company takes years and we have a ways to go.. - Building more balanced leadership is another area we’ve made progress and still have more progress to make. Today, 36% of coaches (managers) are non-male identifying, which is in line with overall representation. This is significant progress from where we were. But we do need to make more progress to ensure there are paths to more senior leadership roles. - As part of our effort to build a more inclusive environment, we’ve started engaging in monthly education as a team to learn about topics on diversity and racism (allyship, anti-racism, implicit bias, systemic racism, etc). We have folks across the team research and share on topics they are passionate about. This is a journey we’re trying to engage the full team in.

6. 5.0

Just, the best

Aug 10, 2020 - Product Owner
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, the culture, the company. So thankful for this opportunity. To work at a job, where you feel valued daily is rare and you get that with Redox.

Cons

No direct cons, covid has made things tough but the company has done what they can to make things right

7. 5.0

Exceeds Expectations

Jul 11, 2019 - People Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing, first and foremost. I can't stress this enough. I love my team and I feel lucky to work cross-functionally on a regular basis, because the other teams are pretty awesome as well. The pay is competitive, even in the bay area-- which is saying a lot for a remote-first environment. I don't feel disconnected at all being a remote worker. I see familiar faces multiple times a day and work with people constantly throughout the day. There is never a feeling of isolation. We're a startup but we don't let that be an excuse for chaos; we let it drive us toward improvement always, and as a result, positive change and improvement seems to happen on a weekly basis. It's super easy to be a new person at Redox. So many Redoxers are new so there's no feeling of an us and them sort of situation. Last but not least, the work we're doing in healthcare is important and game-changing. I love knowing I'm part of this solution.

Cons

It's a startup, so, if you want consistent, dependable monotony, this isn't the job for you. 401k matching and options haven't happened yet/need improvement, but they're working on it! Also a level of flexibility is required to work remotely, especially if you live on the west or east coast. A lot of Redoxers are in the central time zone so it's sometimes hard to avoid early or late meetings, depending on where you live. Most people are mindful about this and very understanding though.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Terrific place to learn and grow

Jun 1, 2020 - Sales Operations Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A group of hardworking and smart people - Leadership is talented and altruistic - Product does good and well at once - Incredible job flexibility and trust - People value excellence, but not before kindness

Cons

- Standard operational growing pains of a small company that's expanding

9. 5.0

Best job I've ever had.

Mar 4, 2019 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent team members in terms of morale, competency, and ethics Teams follow agile methodologies and are actually fairly agile The product is innovative and built on interesting modern technologies Engineers have a lot of autonomy There are lots of opportunities to learn new things Management is interested in you as a person, and will work with you on moving you in the direction of your interests Work/life balance is common and part of the culture This really is the best place I've ever worked, and I worry about finding that again if/when I experience a life after Redox. My colleagues inspire me daily. I'm fairly confident that even the few engineers that have departed the company would speak positively about it.

Cons

Tends to make great strides in the direction of its goals/values, but does not achieve them People that need a lot of guidance and direction are at a disadvantage. The company is remote, so no one is looking over your shoulder. It's possible to goof off and underperform, which will get noticed eventually. There's way more to do than there are people at the company and/or hours in the day There are a few areas of friction around onboarding new team members Compensation and benefits have dramatically improved, but benefits could still use some work.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great remote work environment filled with smart, caring people

Sep 26, 2019 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Remote first: Work from wherever you want. - Purpose driven: the company's aim is to fix the relationship that exists between technology and healthcare today. It's founded by former Epic employees who understand this problem well, and are very empathetic to our customers. - Value driven: Redox is a company driven by a set of core values. These values include healthy feedback, and reasoning from first principles, team growth over individual growth, etc (they're listed on the company website). These are things that employees truly live by. They are re-enforced frequently, and is what is used for hiring / firing decisions. - Iterative processes: there are organizational feedback loops that strive to continually improve existing processes. These work, and the company grows stronger over time because of it.

Cons

- The company is scaling, and thus experiencing organizational growing pains. There are some gaps in process and knowledge management. These are being addressed

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 Reviews