Redwood Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Redwood Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have a purpose that is espoused by everyone, and reinforced. Credit unions are different than banks or other for profit corporations. Understanding that this is a cooperative and the members are the owners will help those who come to work here understand the values and culture that is reinforced. Of all the credit unions I have worked for, this one believes in what they are saying and lives up to their values.

Cons

Hard work. Everyone wants to make a difference and everyone has a drive to make what we do a success... that means we always have too many projects than could ever get done and always defer to what is in the members best interest, often at an effort that some are unfamiliar with giving...

Advice to Management

Since I am a manager, I guess I am talking to myself. It is too bad that people who come to this site focuses on the negative. Every company has its issues and this one is certainly no immune nor is it for everyone. So... we should figure that out early in the interview so we don't waste people's time. We need to Stay focused on all the values, they are good, and should be lived out..(service, trust, people, cooperation). Be sure to prioritize work and don't get sucked into any of the drama that is inevitable when you get more than three people together.

2. "Wonderful Organization!"

I worked at Redwood Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RCU truly cares about their employees and their members. CEO holds an All Staff Meeting on a monthly basis, which is admirable in a CEO.

Cons

Promotion from within is highly encouraged but the pay increase isn't sufficient.

3. "MUST ALWAYS PUT Member before Yourself"

I worked at Redwood Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great team to work with. Laid back

Cons

Even if the member is over the top screaming and angry you still have to be overly friendly to them instead of asking them to leave or else you can get written up. They want you to drink the Kool-Aid and become "one of them".

Advice to Management

Upper Management should focus on retaining high performing staff.

4. "Branch manager"

I worked at Redwood Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great place to work. You are family when you work there.

Cons

nothing i can think of.

5. "Member Service Rep"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Redwood Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical company. Treats its members and employees right. Always trying to improve employee and member experience.

Cons

Be prepared to work really hard.

Advice to Management

Too many competing priorities. Please cut the projects in half.

6. "Good"

I have been working at Redwood Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company. Stable. Fun people.

Cons

Sales goals are hard when your learning your job

"Good working conditions, low pay, and strict time off policies"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Redwood Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RCU offers great products and services that employees can feel good backing. The employees and management have integrity and can be trusted. Service is key here.

Cons

The time off policies in branches are incredibly strict. Working 3 Saturdays a month is required, as well as having rotating days off during the week- which change on a weekly basis, which makes planning life outside of work difficult. Not only does the day off rotate but the start time as well varies from 8:30,8:45,9 and 9:30. If you want to leave work a few hours early, you have to get it approved a month or more in advance usually as well as you have to use your PTO time which accrues very slowly (4 hours per pay period) and is lumped together with sick time which you must keep at least 20 hours "banked" for unexpected events like bereavement or sickness.

Advice to Management

Treat people like they are adults and not micro manage every single detail including the time they take their breaks.

8. "Two Thumbs Up!"

I have been working at Redwood Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RCU definitely lives by their core values of putting members first and providing excellent high quality service. High performing, high achieving culture in many of the departments. Stimulating work and ability to take on projects if you raise your hand. RCU truly does live up to their mission statement: Passionately serve the best interests of our Members, employees, and communities.

Excellent for career growth and long term employment for those that are committed to the organization and express a desire to excel. Training & development, and off-sites are available. Interdepartmental transfers and promotions. Understands "family first" and the importance of providing a workplace with work/life balance. Senior managers truly do care about employees and do want to help others succeed. You can be surrounded by people with a strong work ethic, and many people who are warm and genuine, with a sense of humor too.

They decorate and make employees feel special inter-departmentally for birthdays, to make sure that you feel special! Celebrate your individual wins, awards and recognition.

My direct managers have always been understanding, caring and supportive. They manage from the head and heart, which is hard to say for many organizations. So sorry to see one leaving, but she is on to conquer her next challenge.

The SVP at the helm of the dept. is incredible. She always goes the extra mile and has her teams back. Top notch and a "get it done" professional, with boundless energy.

Cons

None to emphasize as strong negatives. Teams can be disjointed and you have to find your own way and navigate the path at times.

Advice to Management

There is NO Kool-aid being served or consumed at RCU so leave it out of the orientation : ) some people read to much into the reference. Continue to encourage high performing, passionate people to stay on board with RCU. SVP's are really some of the best that I have personally worked with in the financial industry!

"Management paid well, not employees"

I worked at Redwood Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good profit sharing and benefit package (although getting smaller as years go by). Most long time employees are hard workers and love CU philosophy.

Cons

When you fall out of favor you REALLY fall out. VP level and up don't really listen to employees, although play a great game.

Advice to Management

There are people smarter than you. Other opinions are valid. You do not know what's best for everyone in all situations just because you have worked there over 10 years.

"Career Killing Company"

Current Employee - Back Office in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Back Office in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Redwood Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Sonoma County pay if you don't have a degree or went to SSM
    They don't drug test
    They offer discounts on products for employees (but take it back if you leave or get fired)
    Standard benefits package

Cons

-Cult like Kool Aid culture
    -They force you to attend a 5 year dinner
    -You are pressured to attend some events
    -They have a history of pushing people out after around 2 years if you don't fit
    -Instead of laying you off they will hire a temp and take away your work
    -VERY LOW pay compared to the same jobs at other financial institutions and CUs
    -Little opportunity for technical growth and advancement
    -They are behind the curve in regards to technology (Still using MS Excel and Access for everything)
    -Many managers and employees don't have basic technical skills such as MS Excel
    -Their educational reinbursement is too small to be taken seriously

Advice to Management

-Pay more money to attract better talent. Most of the back office can't do basic technical computing tasks
    -Require managers and many employees to attend technical training on Excel, Analytics, Math, Business Intelligence
    -Stop being cheap and offer more money for education reinbursement
    -Hire better managers that actually have technical skills and weren't just paper paper pushers at another CU
    -Offer some options for stress and mental wellness treatment. Some of my colleagues seem like brain dead zombies that are trapped in their jobs because they have families to feed. I have watched many individuals lose ambition there.
    -Don't shove the culture down employees throats.