Redwood Electric Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Dennis T. Harker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Project Manager"

Pros

Great People, Great Pay. Great opportunities.

Cons

No Effective training program. Bring your A game day 1

Advice to Management

Standardize an operation manual for new hires so they can manage the new hire requirements of forms, resources & path to success.

2. "PE-ADMIN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Redwood Electric Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SOME good people, friendship, AND plenty of time to Netflix

Cons

FRIEND-enemies; gossipers, BS, D.R. doesn't communicate correctly, talks with so much disrespect, i've heard her escort someone with "i will wait until you gather your CRAP" to walk you out.

Advice to Management

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.
    If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea

"Communications Installer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Redwood Electric Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Currently at this point in time (May 2016), there is a lot of work here at this company throughout the entire bay area. Most of these jobs are big jobs that will keep you working for months to come if you are a hard working employee.

Cons

This company has a problem bidding jobs effectively, and in turn, end up taking out their erroneous bids on the workers. I am a hard worker who does his best each day, but when a company as Redwood Electric does not appreciate you or thank you for your hard work, it is discouraging. Not only that, it seems we are always over hours on each step of the project. I am thoroughly burned out and am looking for a new company that will appreciate my hard work and loyalty.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees, especially those who work extra hard. Be personable. I have personally experienced many times where managers come to the job site and do not even acknowledge me as a human being, let alone an employee of their company.

4. "If you like money and nothing else, this is the place for you."

Pros

Large company great pay, good benefits , and flexible hours.

Cons

This campany has no clear cut rules or procedures. No teamwork here,it's every man for themselves .There are quite a few people in upper postions that lack the proper skills or experience to be there, the only reason they hold these positions is because there are either related to or a personal friend of one of the many owners. The feild pumps out substandard work (some of the worst I've ever scene), only thing that matters here is high profit margins. You will not make far in this company unless you are related to someone in higher management. If you liked all the drama of high school, then this is the place for you. I would suggest going to work for Cupertino or Sprig.

Advice to Management

Just because they're related to you doesn't necessarily mean they're qualified for the job.

5. "Very nice people environment but don't get sick on your week."

I worked at Redwood Electric Group full-time

Pros

Nice people nice office atmosphere

Cons

The training was not structured to train the archaic purchasing system.

6. "I both loved and hated working for Redwood Electric Group."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Clear cut list of responsibilities
    If you need help, they'll get you help
    My boss was not a micro manager which allowed me to pride myself in my work and take ownership of my duties
    It's a hustle and bustle environment which makes for a great place to feel as though things are happening around you
    It's a fun work environment depending on the group you land in, which can make for easier Monday mornings
    They allow for flexible schedules if you should have LIFE show up
    Yearly raises and bonuses which really helps to make you feel like you are appreciated by your Manager
    Because of the structure of "groups" you may land in a great one with a great leader.
    They have awesome coffee... I'm almost tempted to say that it's not JUST coffee. Favorite office coffee by far, really gets you going in the mornings

Cons

Poor Conflict/Resolution Management
    No true HR department so your issues go ignored or gossiped about by upper management and down to whomever they sit with at lunch or have personal relationships with
    Alliances have been built according to who is having an affair with whom, which can truly hinder new people that aren't involved personally or romantically from growing within the company
    Many of the new faces are of the upper managements family members/children and regardless of their poor behavior or skill level, they will be given first priority. You will need to work harder to be noticed

Advice to Management

Regardless of whom is related to whom, or who has shown up to your family BBQ's, maybe try treating everyone fairly and without discrimination and instead promote and support your employees according to their skill level, their own efforts and their strengths.
    Invest in a professional and confidentially withheld Human Resource Department that can handle issues correctly and legally
    You have a great company flourishing, don't lose yourselves because you can't differentiate between friend and employee, appropriate and inappropriate.

"Unnecessarily Stressful"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Concord, CA

I worked at Redwood Electric Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

REG seems to be bidding on and landing projects that are of a diverse nature. Working for REG may enable a journeyman to work on something different or new to the individual.

Cons

The supervision in place where I worked was extremely inadequate. Foreman shortcuts and mistakes were constant and the blame was often deflected to the subordinates. The three foreman on my project were all intimidated by the General Foreman and were scared to ask for tools/materials. This intimidation was experienced by me and other journey levle workers on the job. The "rule by fear" mentality appeared to me to stem from a lack of a cooperative attitude and a lack of trust for the workers.

Advice to Management

One foreman on this project routinely misdirected people. He had somebody run conduit high in the space without looking at the dawings to see whether it would be accessible. It wasn't. There is a lack of skill in the superivsory roles of your organization. People skills, managerial skills and electrical skills are all shortcomings I experienced from middle/lower management while working for REG.

8. "Unlike the rest"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Redwood Electric Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team effort ALL of the time. Every company has issues, but it is how they are dealt with that makes the difference. Pull together instead of push apart. Access to all senior management is open door.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to find a parking place as the company is growing and expanding at a brisk pace.

Advice to Management

Keep the ship on course.

9. "good electrical company to work for"

Current Employee - Foreman in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Foreman in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Redwood Electric Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

treat their employees fairly. Lots of work throughout the north california region. competitive pay.

Cons

Sometimes the tools needed for the job are hard to get. Cordless tools are very helpful but not always allowed to order for projects

Advice to Management

some new tools save money