Redwood Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Redwood Trust (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Excellent work-life balance
    - Growth opportunities

Cons

- Volatile industry (mortgage)
    - Culture difference between offices

Advice to Management

Find a

"I like Redwood Trust!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Redwood Trust (More than 3 years)

Pros

(1) dynamic work environment with very positively trending business activity and growth (2) this is a challenging and engaging sector of the market to participate in; (3) I view the recent layoffs and business right-sizing as a good thing to eliminate sub-par business activites and staff and replace them with better high-performers who want to be here and will work to achieve the near-and intermediate-term objectives of the business

Cons

(1) new senior leadership team, nevertheless they are very experienced so I'd like to believe those at the top will succeed in their roles; (2) is the company committed to continue having the operations activities located in Denver?; (3) the culture has changed quite a bit from when things started in Denver, can we get it back?

"Not the place it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Redwood Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Local operations*Good reputation within investor circles IF not fading at this point*Not much else now unfortunately*

Cons

*Bosses instead of leaders*cliquish environment tolerated*no innovation*dead,outdated operational/business ideas*retaliatory management*no room for growth*no privacy with HR*Site Director and what's left of the executives, are completely clueless to employee concerns*no shared mission among staff & management*Operations management combative instead of cohesive with staff*

Advice to Management

YES. Fire everyone in a current VP and Upper management position NOW. Speak with your long time employees as to what can make thing run properly. Hire all new VP's who are innovative, creative and keep far away from any "manager" from a former company that went bankrupt.

"Cliquish Environment"

Former Employee - N/A in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - N/A in Denver, CO

I worked at Redwood Trust (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers decent benefits.

Cons

There isn't any room to grow. The company is very cliquish

Advice to Management

Be fair to all employees not just the one your friends with or have worked with n the past. Think outside the box and maybe get some newer , younger Management in place.

5. "Intern"

I have been working at Redwood Trust part-time

Pros

Overall, Redwood Trust is a great place to work. The people are down to earth and the work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

Some of the work is tedious and a grind, but you learn a lot about the business so there is a tradeoff.

Advice to Management

Love the senior management.

6. "Focus, Improve, Sell"

Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst/Business Analyst in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Redwood Trust (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work atmosphere, highly collaborative using Agile and RAD development methodologies. Close relationship between business and IT. Communication from management is consistent and open.

Cons

Business strategy may have been too ambitious for a small company. Recent release of commercial and conforming residential loan lines of business created significant workforce reductions. Benefits are what you'd expect from a small company, and stock purchase is not such a great sell right now.

Advice to Management

1. Focus on the core business (jumbo loan packages);
    2, Become the best there is at it;
    3. Sell the company at maximum value.

"Smart, Progressive Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Redwood Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong leadership. Starting with the President of the company, Brett Nicholas, the leadership team is very smart, strategic and focused. Brett has built and fostered an environment that encourages senior executives, middle managers and associates to be intuitive, strategic and forward thinkers. The culture is strong, dynamic and encouraging. You want to succeed as a member of this team. You are rewarded by having the ability to express your ideas, take risks and build something that you can be proud of. I am proud of be a member of this team and look forward to future success.

Cons

I don't really have any Cons, we have experienced the same growing pains that you would expect in any other environment. The advantage is having a President that is experienced enough to take us through those challenges and set us up for future success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to grow and foster a positive environment and your employees will continue to give back their all.

8. "Always evolving, always exciting!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Redwood Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Redwood for almost two years now, and have had a great experience. I'm about five years out of college and feel like I couldn't be at a better company. Redwood is very serious about growing young people in an aging industry. The mortgage banking industry as a whole has obviously had its ups and downs, but Redwood has always been quick to evolve and stay on the cutting edge of the business. I've had nothing but a great experience here.

Cons

Honestly, none. I'm a female in a male-dominated industry and feel like my voice is heard and appreciated, my career is taken seriously, and the culture is fun and easygoing.

Advice to Management

This could go for any company, but continue to listen to your employees from the bottom up.

9. "Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst - Contractor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Data Analyst - Contractor in Denver, CO

I worked at Redwood Trust (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, great people, and training is available.

Cons

Low pay, but OT opportunities.

Advice to Management

Have work available when someone new starts.

10. "A good place to work"

I have been working at Redwood Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, a relaxed not micro managed atmosphere, supportive co workers

Cons

Work can become stagnant and repetitive, co workers are treated differently arbitrarily, hourly when it seems sometimes salary would work better, recent lay offs.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees