Reed Elsevier Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated February 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Loyalty, passion and dedication are quickly forgotten when senior management changes (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

Fun environment with some very smart people.

Cons

A bit of an annoying hierarchy exists.

2. "Principal systems engineer"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good strategies to be a digital company. Stable. Business models are ok

Cons

IT group want to align with. Usiness but still have not figured out since last 5 years

Advice to Management

Line manager Recognize the potentials of the good employees before dismissing their positions and their years of experience. Knowledge and expertise are walking out the door unrecognized
    Senior manager - chose line manager wisely with at least a master's or higher degree than the employees they are managing
    C-level. Make sure the company vision and strategies are implemented to the lowest teams the eco- system

3. "They don't know what they're doing."

Pros

Relaxed, quiet workplace. Great location.

Cons

None of the departments talk to each other. My manager never gave me any direction or clear guidance on what was needed. High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Try to adapt a corporate culture philosophy. More training for management in how to actually manage their employees.

4. "Mixed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, MS

Pros

a) Year on Year Training

b) Defined KPIs

c) Work Life Balance

Cons

a) Incompetent Managing Director not so comfortable mingling with entry level executive. spends most of the time attending Global calls
    b) Incompetent HR, playing politics and not done the work in evaluating employees. HR all noise nothing done.
    c) Limited growth, no value for skills
    d) If you outgrow CTC to a specific level, then you are in danger of becoming redundant. If you ask the management for better opportunities, they may not be willing to give you
    e) Divide between global and local. Hence local achievements will be looked down
    f) Huge nasty nexus among senior leaders. They spend time in managing perception and guarding secret. No focus on improving operations
    g) Executive Vice President makes a visit every year and goes back saying everything is fine. We know everything cannot be fine at every time.

Not so inspiring, if you are looking for real growth.

Advice to Management

Help people to grow, keep favourites and politics away from people.

"Rough Acquisition Transition"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn at Elsevier. I feel like I have gained about three years of experience in the past year. The financial rigor has pushed me to pick up lots of new skills that I will certainly be able to take with me in my next positions. There are also many, many talented individuals who are absolute experts in their fields.

Cons

Senior management is much more concerned with making the finances look good than with actually growing the business. They do much more talking than listening.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management is to let your downstream management finish what they are saying before you jump in to give advice, provide solutions, or discount what they are saying. Most of us have followed a philosophy of not approaching management with a problem without preparing to recommend at least one solution. Most of the time, when we bring up a challenge, it is to explain to you how we are already solving it. We are not bringing it up so that you can jump in before we are finished talking to tell us what to do. That leaves us with a feeling that you don't have confidence in us and that you think that you have solved the problem for us. And we don't get credit for facing and overcoming challenges on our own. Please, extend some respect to us and listen more than you talk when you ask us for a report on something. Or, at the very least, invite a discussion and not a lecture.

6. "product manager"

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time

Pros

Reed Elsevier was one of the most supportive and fun environments i've worked in. good people, good benefits, good company!

Cons

could be political and slow moving at times.

"Don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Consulting Engineer
    Former Employee - Consulting Engineer

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started very young as a contractor and grew my career over 15 years into a consulting position for global communications. Great place to get exposure to a large multi-national company with foot-print in over 100 countries. Good benefits and generous travel policy (for those who

Cons

Complex, silos everywhere, lacks vision, and as many others have noticed, a penchant to overlook high-flyers. Anglo-Dutch leadership is out of touch and has been since the 1990s.

Advice to Management

Stop looking outward to solve the problems and start looking introspectively. I would have never left if the opportunities for advancement were not consistently shut off by the next "great leader in charge of transforming xyz" who ultimately got fired 2 years into their 3 year contract for utter incompetence. When you interview new leadership, make sure you have performed a thorough evaluation on the candidate's claims to accomplishment. In other words, pick up the phone and ask around if they REALLY saved their last company X million dollars.

"Constant Micromanagement"

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time

Pros

The best part about this company was the co-workers. Everyone seemed to get along well was a very tight group and many personal friendships are formed.

Cons

Management tends to micromanage employees on every single task. There is no real continuity with job duties. The company has a very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee relations. Overall the company is pretty good but employee treatment can be better.

"The perfect job if you need something steady..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Consistent schedule, good work/life balance, great department dynamics.

Cons

Management has their hands tied by corporate, making change near impossible.

"N/A"

Pros

Flexible schedule, 10-20hr work week during summer, good commissions, customers are easy to call on and want to know about new solutions.

Cons

Lots of change within industry as students are no longer purchasing in bookstore and prefer cheaper 3rd party sites like Amazon.