Reed Elsevier Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management is much more concerned with making the finances look good than with actually growing the business (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

1. "Mixed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, MS

Pros

a) Year on Year Training

b) Defined KPIs

c) Work Life Balance

Cons

a) Incompetent Managing Director not so comfortable mingling with entry level executive. spends most of the time attending Global calls
    b) Incompetent HR, playing politics and not done the work in evaluating employees. HR all noise nothing done.
    c) Limited growth, no value for skills
    d) If you outgrow CTC to a specific level, then you are in danger of becoming redundant. If you ask the management for better opportunities, they may not be willing to give you
    e) Divide between global and local. Hence local achievements will be looked down
    f) Huge nasty nexus among senior leaders. They spend time in managing perception and guarding secret. No focus on improving operations
    g) Executive Vice President makes a visit every year and goes back saying everything is fine. We know everything cannot be fine at every time.

Not so inspiring, if you are looking for real growth.

Advice to Management

Help people to grow, keep favourites and politics away from people.

"Rough Acquisition Transition"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn at Elsevier. I feel like I have gained about three years of experience in the past year. The financial rigor has pushed me to pick up lots of new skills that I will certainly be able to take with me in my next positions. There are also many, many talented individuals who are absolute experts in their fields.

Cons

Senior management is much more concerned with making the finances look good than with actually growing the business. They do much more talking than listening.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management is to let your downstream management finish what they are saying before you jump in to give advice, provide solutions, or discount what they are saying. Most of us have followed a philosophy of not approaching management with a problem without preparing to recommend at least one solution. Most of the time, when we bring up a challenge, it is to explain to you how we are already solving it. We are not bringing it up so that you can jump in before we are finished talking to tell us what to do. That leaves us with a feeling that you don't have confidence in us and that you think that you have solved the problem for us. And we don't get credit for facing and overcoming challenges on our own. Please, extend some respect to us and listen more than you talk when you ask us for a report on something. Or, at the very least, invite a discussion and not a lecture.

3. "Life Sciences Editorial Intern - S&T Books"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by a great group of intelligent people who are passionate about their work.

Cons

Sometimes the work was too focused on making money and was less about the science that was being brought into the world. It was a little too "big business" for me.

"Don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Consulting Engineer
    Former Employee - Consulting Engineer

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started very young as a contractor and grew my career over 15 years into a consulting position for global communications. Great place to get exposure to a large multi-national company with foot-print in over 100 countries. Good benefits and generous travel policy (for those who

Cons

Complex, silos everywhere, lacks vision, and as many others have noticed, a penchant to overlook high-flyers. Anglo-Dutch leadership is out of touch and has been since the 1990s.

Advice to Management

Stop looking outward to solve the problems and start looking introspectively. I would have never left if the opportunities for advancement were not consistently shut off by the next "great leader in charge of transforming xyz" who ultimately got fired 2 years into their 3 year contract for utter incompetence. When you interview new leadership, make sure you have performed a thorough evaluation on the candidate's claims to accomplishment. In other words, pick up the phone and ask around if they REALLY saved their last company X million dollars.

"Constant Micromanagement"

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time

Pros

The best part about this company was the co-workers. Everyone seemed to get along well was a very tight group and many personal friendships are formed.

Cons

Management tends to micromanage employees on every single task. There is no real continuity with job duties. The company has a very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee relations. Overall the company is pretty good but employee treatment can be better.

"N/A"

Pros

Flexible schedule, 10-20hr work week during summer, good commissions, customers are easy to call on and want to know about new solutions.

Cons

Lots of change within industry as students are no longer purchasing in bookstore and prefer cheaper 3rd party sites like Amazon.

7. "Good place to start out. Don't stay too long."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good place to start out in your career.

Cons

The politics can be particularly picayune.

Advice to Management

Go see how other places are run.

"Not good for US employees"

Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well-respected company, with continued profitability

Cons

For US employees, the European leadership is far away and does not honor the corporation's own core values, such as "Respect Our People"

Advice to Management

Truly follow the core values.

9. "Client Service"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit, flexibility, decent pay and ability to work from home from time to time.

Cons

No room for growth, segregated environment, non professional environment at times.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and what they bring to the table. Have better opportunities for growth.

10. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Constant reorganization again and again

Advice to Management

Don't do it again