Reed Elsevier Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 14, 2016

Current Employees

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Pros
Cons
  • Loyalty, passion and dedication are quickly forgotten when senior management changes (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

1. "Principal systems engineer"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good strategies to be a digital company. Stable. Business models are ok

Cons

IT group want to align with. Usiness but still have not figured out since last 5 years

Advice to Management

Line manager Recognize the potentials of the good employees before dismissing their positions and their years of experience. Knowledge and expertise are walking out the door unrecognized
    Senior manager - chose line manager wisely with at least a master's or higher degree than the employees they are managing
    C-level. Make sure the company vision and strategies are implemented to the lowest teams the eco- system

2. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment and package was to good while joining but yearly increment is too less.

Cons

Growth would be less comparing to the current market

3. "Great company"

Current Contractor - Journalist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Contractor - Journalist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A professional environment that rewards contributors and recognises team efforts. Work-life balance and emphasis on personal development and growth.

Cons

Not many I can think of, perhaps the practice of not offering bonuses? Many companies do this though. Salary is still relatively attractive overall.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep identifying talent who are both proficient in the area of expertise but also have a good editorial track record.

5. "IT Support Technician"

Current Intern - Desktop Support Technician in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Intern - Desktop Support Technician in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with competative wages. I currently work here as an intern.

Cons

The company is moving to Raleigh North Carolina so i will be seeking full time employement elsewhere soon. Would love to stay with a tech oriented company.

Advice to Management

Great Management.

6. "Very laid back atmoshpere"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst

Pros

They have a laid back atmosphere around the office, people are friendly and usually willing to help you out.

Cons

Oxford office is in the middle of nowhere, next to Oxford Airport. If you don't have management on your side, you'll be feeling a lot of pressure and it's unfair how people are treated once they have been singled out.

Advice to Management

Think about the way people are treated and how to progress with projects. There are no quick, simple and cheap solutions, you really do get what you pay for.

"Rough Acquisition Transition"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn at Elsevier. I feel like I have gained about three years of experience in the past year. The financial rigor has pushed me to pick up lots of new skills that I will certainly be able to take with me in my next positions. There are also many, many talented individuals who are absolute experts in their fields.

Cons

Senior management is much more concerned with making the finances look good than with actually growing the business. They do much more talking than listening.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management is to let your downstream management finish what they are saying before you jump in to give advice, provide solutions, or discount what they are saying. Most of us have followed a philosophy of not approaching management with a problem without preparing to recommend at least one solution. Most of the time, when we bring up a challenge, it is to explain to you how we are already solving it. We are not bringing it up so that you can jump in before we are finished talking to tell us what to do. That leaves us with a feeling that you don't have confidence in us and that you think that you have solved the problem for us. And we don't get credit for facing and overcoming challenges on our own. Please, extend some respect to us and listen more than you talk when you ask us for a report on something. Or, at the very least, invite a discussion and not a lecture.

8. "sales executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Patna, Bihar (India)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Patna, Bihar (India)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really feel proud to be work with this company and the most important thing is that my manger always motivate me and I really feel proud to work with my manger they always givehim right direction i.e. very important for my life.

Cons

according to my work they have not providing good salary and expenses.

Advice to Management

if those employees who work with last 2 yr and there performance is excellent then pls promote for the full time position.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, respect, professionals that er passionate about their job

Cons

Slow, political, very fragmented or structure

"N/A"

Pros

Flexible schedule, 10-20hr work week during summer, good commissions, customers are easy to call on and want to know about new solutions.

Cons

Lots of change within industry as students are no longer purchasing in bookstore and prefer cheaper 3rd party sites like Amazon.

"Not good for US employees"

Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well-respected company, with continued profitability

Cons

For US employees, the European leadership is far away and does not honor the corporation's own core values, such as "Respect Our People"

Advice to Management

Truly follow the core values.