Reed Elsevier Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Loyalty, passion and dedication are quickly forgotten when senior management changes (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

"In a cutthroat market, you need to be in touch with all employees."

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Reed Elsevier provides a decent salary and package, compared to the rest of the industry, which is in dire straits.. Some nice co-workers made the experience pleasant on a day to day basis. Management is pleasant on the face of it, as it is most places in publishing, but gives poor, useless, or no feedback while a project is going on. It has a good reputation in an industry which has the shakes, thanks to diversified products that keep its neck above water.

Cons

There is poor communication throughout the system, a throwback to an era when things moved along at a lazy pace in publishing. But it matters a lot today. Heavy on the politics, even to the detriment of work time.

Advice to Management

Better communication up and down. Reward outstanding contributors to the team effort.

2. "Good corporate mission, poor management"

Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The best reason to work at Reed elsevier is that the overall mission to help improve the delivery of health information and to better patient outcomes is compelling

Cons

Very poor senior management and pay is on the lower side of the scale!!

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to value its employees

"Low pay, and mind-numbing work, but you can take lots of days off..."

Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company is based in Europe, so the attitude throughout the U.S. offices seems to be a tad more "Euro" also. Great vacation time, sick time, AND personal days. Managers are known for being fairly chill and understanding. There is also the opportunity to travel if you have been at the company long enough, and if you are lucky, basically.

Cons

LOW pay and VERY limited opportunity for advancement, even though management (via corporate)tries to act like there is, by requiring you to fill out a "personal development plan" that is basically BS. It is a genius idea to keep us motivated, but it becomes a big joke to anyone who had been there longer than a year. My branch was also littered with people who were probably considered "unemployable" for the most part, and were just happy to have a job.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more candid about our significance in the company. We know there is little to no chance for promotion. We know our job is easily replaced by outsourcing (or more sophisticated softwware). Don't kiss our ass and give us a condescending pat on the head (or a measly $5 starbux card) when we do something right. Anyone who has a half a brain can see through it and it's demoralizing.

"Unsure about future"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH

Pros

Good location, decent facility. Employees generally able to balance work & home life.

Cons

Limited career path. Outsourcing / offshoring will probably continue. Other IT career opportunities in Dayton are limited.

Advice to Management

Even a reasonably intelligent person can detect BS so don't give it to us.

"Elsevier needs to think before it acts, look at all the other companies failing due to short term financial focus"

Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Miamisburg, OH

Pros

People, Technology A sense of ownership in the process.

Cons

Its diffiuclt to advance your career, no clear cut objectives and measurements for advancement

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Think about what it is you just forced the organization to do and rethink your intentions. Short term gain focus ultimately causes significant friction in the the long term. I think you only need to look at AIG and other foundering institutions who based many of their recent decisions on the short term gain and shor term shareholder happiness

6. "Ups and Downs at LexisNexis"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

Pros

Work is diverse and challenging

Cons

They are outsourcing the software and app development employees

Advice to Management

Cost is not the only solution to being "World Class"!

7. "Stunningly competent!"

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Large, international, long-term focus, competent

Cons

Too large, not-local, overly goal focused, disorganized

Advice to Management

Communicate more and actually do something productive. The counting of words to determine the value of an opinion is an approach that fails to take into account content quality and is only concerned with the amount of content.

8. "Principal systems engineer"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good strategies to be a digital company. Stable. Business models are ok

Cons

IT group want to align with. Usiness but still have not figured out since last 5 years

Advice to Management

Line manager Recognize the potentials of the good employees before dismissing their positions and their years of experience. Knowledge and expertise are walking out the door unrecognized
    Senior manager - chose line manager wisely with at least a master's or higher degree than the employees they are managing
    C-level. Make sure the company vision and strategies are implemented to the lowest teams the eco- system

9. "They don't know what they're doing."

Pros

Relaxed, quiet workplace. Great location.

Cons

None of the departments talk to each other. My manager never gave me any direction or clear guidance on what was needed. High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Try to adapt a corporate culture philosophy. More training for management in how to actually manage their employees.

"Rough Acquisition Transition"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn at Elsevier. I feel like I have gained about three years of experience in the past year. The financial rigor has pushed me to pick up lots of new skills that I will certainly be able to take with me in my next positions. There are also many, many talented individuals who are absolute experts in their fields.

Cons

Senior management is much more concerned with making the finances look good than with actually growing the business. They do much more talking than listening.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management is to let your downstream management finish what they are saying before you jump in to give advice, provide solutions, or discount what they are saying. Most of us have followed a philosophy of not approaching management with a problem without preparing to recommend at least one solution. Most of the time, when we bring up a challenge, it is to explain to you how we are already solving it. We are not bringing it up so that you can jump in before we are finished talking to tell us what to do. That leaves us with a feeling that you don't have confidence in us and that you think that you have solved the problem for us. And we don't get credit for facing and overcoming challenges on our own. Please, extend some respect to us and listen more than you talk when you ask us for a report on something. Or, at the very least, invite a discussion and not a lecture.