Reed Elsevier Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated February 3, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Loyalty, passion and dedication are quickly forgotten when senior management changes (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

"Rough Acquisition Transition"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn at Elsevier. I feel like I have gained about three years of experience in the past year. The financial rigor has pushed me to pick up lots of new skills that I will certainly be able to take with me in my next positions. There are also many, many talented individuals who are absolute experts in their fields.

Cons

Senior management is much more concerned with making the finances look good than with actually growing the business. They do much more talking than listening.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management is to let your downstream management finish what they are saying before you jump in to give advice, provide solutions, or discount what they are saying. Most of us have followed a philosophy of not approaching management with a problem without preparing to recommend at least one solution. Most of the time, when we bring up a challenge, it is to explain to you how we are already solving it. We are not bringing it up so that you can jump in before we are finished talking to tell us what to do. That leaves us with a feeling that you don't have confidence in us and that you think that you have solved the problem for us. And we don't get credit for facing and overcoming challenges on our own. Please, extend some respect to us and listen more than you talk when you ask us for a report on something. Or, at the very least, invite a discussion and not a lecture.

2. "product manager"

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time

Pros

Reed Elsevier was one of the most supportive and fun environments i've worked in. good people, good benefits, good company!

Cons

could be political and slow moving at times.

"Don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Consulting Engineer
    Former Employee - Consulting Engineer

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started very young as a contractor and grew my career over 15 years into a consulting position for global communications. Great place to get exposure to a large multi-national company with foot-print in over 100 countries. Good benefits and generous travel policy (for those who

Cons

Complex, silos everywhere, lacks vision, and as many others have noticed, a penchant to overlook high-flyers. Anglo-Dutch leadership is out of touch and has been since the 1990s.

Advice to Management

Stop looking outward to solve the problems and start looking introspectively. I would have never left if the opportunities for advancement were not consistently shut off by the next "great leader in charge of transforming xyz" who ultimately got fired 2 years into their 3 year contract for utter incompetence. When you interview new leadership, make sure you have performed a thorough evaluation on the candidate's claims to accomplishment. In other words, pick up the phone and ask around if they REALLY saved their last company X million dollars.

"Constant Micromanagement"

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time

Pros

The best part about this company was the co-workers. Everyone seemed to get along well was a very tight group and many personal friendships are formed.

Cons

Management tends to micromanage employees on every single task. There is no real continuity with job duties. The company has a very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee relations. Overall the company is pretty good but employee treatment can be better.

"N/A"

Pros

Flexible schedule, 10-20hr work week during summer, good commissions, customers are easy to call on and want to know about new solutions.

Cons

Lots of change within industry as students are no longer purchasing in bookstore and prefer cheaper 3rd party sites like Amazon.

"eProduct Sales Specialist"

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment! Pay and benefits are pretty good, lots of opportunity for growth! We really believe in what we sell.

Cons

System limitations result in lots of fulfillment and billing issues. Going through a period of chance and restructuring. Increasingly high quotas.

Advice to Management

Look for better ways to recognize achievements and motivate employees. Be more visible. Continue to provide sales with new products and tools to sell.

8. "anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great location and fun work environment. much opportunity for advancement, great colleagues. great opportunity for beginning careers and learning

Cons

the company was purchased and is now a part of a much larger organization, and is no longer the same. the industry has also changed dramatically and the opportunities are fewer.

"Project Coordinator"

Pros

If you're looking for a stable job, this is the company for you.

Cons

Employees are visibly invisible. Tier management flies in for quarterly town halls, which is usually a presentation of revenue for the current year and projection of the following year's expectations.
    Performance development is non-existent.
    No one will train you on anything.
    There is a pure disconnect between management and employees.

Advice to Management

See Cons. Do better.

"It's ok"

Pros

Nice office facility, recent upgrades

Cons

Lay offs were constant for the many years I worked there.

11. "Life at Elsevier"

Pros

Great, Fantastic I enjoyed every minute of my time there

Cons

None. Arrive on time, get your work done, great place to work!