Reeds Jewelers Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan M. Zimmer

1. "Associate"

I have been working at Reeds Jewelers full-time

Pros

You can tell the CEO genuinely cares. This is a great family owned business, and I have loved watching them grow/ being a part of their growth over the years.

Cons

Long hours during the holidays, but that is expected with retail. I am thankful that they have corporate events with lunch/holiday themes etc. to show appreciation.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. We all love feeling appreciated!

2. "I learned a lot!"

I have been working at Reeds Jewelers part-time

Pros

In-depth jewelry knowledge and up-beat working environment.

Cons

I do not have nay bad things to say.

3. "Gold Buyer"

Former Employee - Gold Buy Specialist in Port Hueneme CBC Base, CA
    Former Employee - Gold Buy Specialist in Port Hueneme CBC Base, CA

I worked at Reeds Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training was very well explained for what was expected of us, and the hands on was fantastic.

Cons

Management Team was all in North Carolina.

"Best family owned jewelry store"

Pros

Flexible hours, room for growth, pay based on performance, family atmosphere

Cons

None to list, I loved my job!

Advice to Management

none

6. "Sales 3"

Pros

Commission especially at holidays, friendly customers

Cons

Long holiday hours, work/life imbalance

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of employees

"You've got to love what you do.."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Reeds Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The industry can introduce you to some amazing people/contacts. Some of the stores have great staffs and coworkers can really become your family. Commission is paid on a tiered structure that rewards hard workers (ie- if you sell more, you earn more). VP is pleasant to work with and makes an effort to get to know all employees.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to perform, can lead to management asking you to "trick" people into signing up for credit cards, etc. ("It's like getting those coupons from Bed Bath & Beyond!"....when it is most definitely NOT like that..) Some sales associates are money hungry and it shows. Can create a cut-throat culture between co-workers. As one reviewer noted, do not expect to get more than a few cents raise at your yearly review. Raises are based harshly on your daily standards (dollars sold, credit lines opened, etc.) Schedule was every night, every weekend, every holiday and that's just how it is. DM was overbearing, quick to judge and a chronic micromanager. He would call the stores and pretend to be customer to try to catch sales associates in a lie. There are little to no opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Create a culture where employees feel more comfortable bringing concerns up to management. Take more notice of employees who could be overworked/underpaid. Allow stores to hire more staff to prevent employees from working every single night.

"Too many chiefs not enough Indians"

Former Employee - Home Office in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Home Office in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Reeds Jewelers full-time

Pros

some very knowledgeable coworkers,Some employees willing to share knowledge and tips, Executives are very approachable and easy to get along with. Lots of opportunity for overtime if that is something you like.

Cons

consumes your entire life, when employed by them you eat sleep and breathe Reeds, overtime is expected more often than not and mandatory Saturdays. Management witnesses problems and does nothing to correct the issues. Employees are allowed do nothing while coworkers are required to pick up their slack. Home Office team is treated as if they are not important in the company and pay reflects that. Extremely limited opportunity for advancement. Don't expect more than a few cents raise with your yearly review

Advice to Management

Do your job stop fighting with other managers and observe what is going on in your workplace. morale sucks and you do nothing to improve it. be more approachable when an employee comes to you with an issue, you should attempt to look into the problem and not sweep it under the rug and punish the employee for bringing it to your attention and requiring you to DO YOUR JOB!

"Dream job"

I worked at Reeds Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at REEDS was a blessing. I gained so much knowledge, not only from my immediate team, but also from many different departments. They truly stand behind being a family owned business. The only reason I had to part ways with REEDS was because my family relocated out of town.

Cons

None truly come to mind. Besides having to work Christmas Eve (but even then, I could have used vacation time). Keep in mind, it is a Retail business, so even if working at the home office, you are still open on holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be better than the year before! I will always consider REEDS my second family!

10. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Reeds Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned business that truly cares about treating everyone like family. Management from the top down are honest, motivational and extremely fair. If an employee leaves on good terms they are always welcome back and most of them do come back. Compensation plans for all levels are exceptional and job growth is high priority.

Cons

None to mention. Most of the negative postings i read on here are less than accurate. Working for this family is an honor and a privilege. This is exemplified by the number of employees (corporate and operations) that have worked for REEDS for 10,20, 30 even 40 years

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction you are. Welcome the new millenials to the company with open arms and embrace their sometimes crazy ideas.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albany, GA

I worked at Reeds Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met people, sell jewelry for special occasions

Cons

Bad management, work on holidays, stand on feet

Advice to Management

improve on management