Regal "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor

Regal Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Nov 17, 2019

2.7
Regal CEO Moshe Greidinger (no image)
Moshe Greidinger
Pros
Cons
  • "Terrible pay (barely over minimum wage)(in 199 reviews)

• "Hours are awful if you aren't a full time manager(in 97 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
  1. ".."

Current Employee - Floor Staff

I have been working at Regal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment two free tickets a week

Cons

Minimum wage not much hours

Regal2019-07-05

"They don’t really care about their employees"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Regal part-time for less than a year

Pros

50 % off Free drinks if you bring your own cup

Cons

Minimum wage$7.25 To little pay for the amount of duties you have Only gave me one work shirt Supervisor was very unliked by everyone(he hovered over every employee and would make us do the tedious things)

Regal2019-11-17
  3. "Good job"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Regal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good people to work with

Cons

Not great paying minimum wage

Regal2019-10-04

"A Once Mighty Titan in the Theater Industry, Now an Absolute Dumpster Fire"

Current Employee - Cast Member in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Regal part-time for more than a year

Pros

The absolute pittance that is the two tickets a week and concessions discount

Cons

Regal was a well oiled, functioning, vibrant and fun working environment until the buyout from European cinema mega-chain Cineworld. What ensued has been a borderline hilarious comedy of farces and blunders from a bafflingly successful company who’s only apparent business philosophy has been “if it ain’t broke, break it.” On what feels like a weekly basis we’ve been subjected to a torrential downpour of policy and... operations changes ranging from the benign (black shirts under the uniform instead of white) to the self destructively stupid (intentionally removing functionality, de-emphasizing actual customer service, eliminating employee benefits, demoting half the management company wide). Productivity and morale are at all time lows, but corporate keeps turning up the heat when it comes to expectations. Turnover is ridiculously high thanks to the consistently worsening working conditions and as such we never have the skilled employees we really need to get anything done. Starting a week ahead of any anticipated corporate visits we have people staying literally all night cleaning and organizing the theater for their arrival just so we can appear to have met their unattainable standards; this is a practice that is not only unwarrentedly stressful for a job that barely pays above minimum wage, but also continues to validate corporate’s belief that their wildly unrealistic expectations are reasonable. The amount of maintenance and compulsive cleaning work corporate demands clashes directly with our supposed primary function of customer service, but to please corporate’s interests management has determined that if it comes down to meeting corporate’s non-food safety related cleaning tasks or giving good customer service, you’ll get in less trouble for neglecting the customer. This is all without talking about how little actual job and advancement opportunities there are here at Regal. Earlier this year, corporate mandated that half of all management staff be demoted, who was and was not demoted was not determined at a theater level and it culminated in an event known disaffectionately as “the snap.” The snap saw many loyal members of management, some of whom had been with the company for many years, demoted sometimes all the way down to the starting level and sent many people who were supporting families down to basically minimum wage. This has also effectively reduced any advancement opportunities by half the previous number. So basically, loyalty will not save you here, job security feels pretty nonexistent and you may find yourself waiting years or longer to see any kind of upward movement, not that advancement is worth it considering Team Leads make only slightly more than floor staff do Get are some of the most miserable and stressed people I’ve ever met in my time in the service industry. Also this place is a ticking time bomb in the realm of regular workplace and sexual harassment. Several young women have reported instances of sexual harassment to HR, many of which involved hard proof and witnesses, one notable instance at my location involving a minor, yet of the instances I’ve been made aware of, absolutely zero disciplinary actions have been taken. Corporate does not care in the slightest about the personal safety or comfort of women or minors in its workplace, Regal doesn’t care about its employees in general, Regal doesn’t even really care about its customers. Also, I know this is a relatively small grievance, but Regal rolled out its “Regal Unlimited” service, which, for $18 a month allows customers to enjoy unlimited free tickets, a perk that corporate insisted they could not afford to give its employees. As of the writing of this review, employees are not even able to purchase the Regal Unlimited plan, so we can’t even fairly buy the same benefits customers can.

Advice to Management

To store-level management I’d urge you to jettison as quickly as possible from here like most of the company’s halfway decent talent already has. To upper management, you guys need to turn this around before Regal becomes absolutely unsalvageable.

Regal2019-09-29

"Not A Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Floor Staff in Kelso, WA

I worked at Regal part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedule cuz you won't get enough hours to live on unless you're upper management.

Cons

Not much upward mobility. Minimum wage work. Tenure doesn't account for anything. Not enough hours to live on. Ridiculously outdated dress code. Scheduling is always changing and rarely given in a timely manner. Not a fun place to work. Too strict.

Advice to Management

Lead by example instead of sitting up in an office watching employees work and barking orders. Management should train new hires; floor staff don't get paid adequately to train.

Regal2019-09-25

"Overall not positive"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Regal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Two free movies per week, somewhat flexible scheduling

Cons

Minimum wage with no possibility for raises, they will want a greater value out of you than how they pay.

Advice to Management

Increase pay across the board.

Regal2019-09-15

"Went from being a place I loved to a place I can't stand."

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Regal full-time

Pros

The company has good benfits

Cons

Many cons have come to be in the past few years and they include, but are not limited to: Company offers minimum wage for a fairly stressful job (especially for teens). Young staff is often berated by guests and required to work long hours and all holidays. Company definitely loses quality applicants to other places that offer less stressful positions at much higher compensation. One of the best reasons there... used to be for working at the movies was the ability to see movies for free. This privilege has slowly gotten worse and worse in the past few years. Floor staff are only allowed 2 tickets per week so you can't even bring your whole family in most cases. If you are a parent with two or more kids you are out of luck. This extends upward as the pass benefits have been minimized for all levels of employment. Severe cuts to the amount of staff that are employed at any given time. Both floor staff and management. This hurts both the team itself and the customer base. Longer lines and more flustered staffed lead to poor experience for customers when they attend movies. Lack of staff and management leads to highly stressful situations within the work place. Something that is very bad for the mental health of the staff (Side note: this company has never once expressed any care for the mental health of its employees and this continues to get even worse as time goes on.). Even though Benefits are mentioned above as a "Pro", new company procedures often leave staff in situations where they are afraid to use their time off. Cuts to staff have made it extremely difficult to take time off, either sick or paid, because the buildings will be left understaffed if this happens. This leaves staff in a bad position of feeling bad for using the benefits that they are allotted. New ownership has taken to having VPs perform visits where they degrade the staff of each location during the time they are there. It seems as if it is a company goal to not allow locations to feel "safe" or as if they are doing things right in fear of complacence. Instead, new tactics that boarder on fear mongering are employed where anyone that is in higher level positions at the theatres, especially the General Managers, feel as if their jobs are disposable for any minor transgressions. Visits often result in action plans given to the theatre to fix laundry lists of issues in inadequate amounts of time. Often only mere weeks before disciplinary actions are taken. There is and has been a huge disconnect between corporate office and the field. Theatres themselves are busiest on weekends and holidays and this is when corporate employees are allowed to be off. Corporate has gotten very bad at answering calls and responding to e-mails. Communication also seems to be a major issue between all levels within the company. Locations will get instruction to do one thing from corporate via e-mail and then when District Managers come or VPs, they tell you to do the opposite of what the e-mails say. District managers will instruct you to make changes based on info they are given and then when corporate VPs come they get upset that you are doing things the way the DMs told you and want you to do it differently. It becomes extremely confusing. New ownership mindset places a huge focus on not having anything look cluttered, but they don't seem to care for things that are old or out of date. At least not at most locations. Marquee locations in huge cities like New York receive renovations almost yearly while other locations can go years without improvements. Overall, because of structure changes if you work in a DGM or GM position you are not given much time for a personal life. Between being asked to work more than 40 hours a week, not including driving time, and the fact that you need to answer calls, e-mails and texts when you are off there isn't too much time for an uninterrupted personal life. I would definitely say it isn't a good job for someone with a family either as you are required to work weekends and holidays, when your family is off.

Advice to Management

Biggest advice to corporate management is to start paying attention to the mental health of your employees. Putting an xbox in the break room isn't a good enough step to helping people deal with the stress that this particular job entails. It will hard to accomplish your mission of being "the best place to watch a movie" if all of the people working there are unhappy.

Regal2019-09-09

"Worse place to work for and to watch a movie!"

Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Regal full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

401k program was nice and 4 free movies a week (used to be a day for full time employee's!)

Cons

Wow there's a lot to list, but i'll sum it up. -Regal used to be a FUN place to work for before Cineworld took over. -So many freaking changes and the work load got worse since then. -The higher ups don't care about their people. They are just focused on the facility. How about you focus on your people first because with better morale you would achieve so much more. -Sherry Mulberry (or should I say Sherry... McFlurry) thinks she is all that. She doesn't give a flying flip about you or your employees. She only points out the bad and never helps or gives advice to get better. It's more like a fix it or you get fired attitude. However, let me point out her plastic surgery changes. LOL -The morale has gone down hill since Cineworld took over. Wow you take the employee's ONE benefit on seeing a movie with their guest a day down to one week? Like come on, they are making minimum wage and that was devastating when you guys did that. -They put you in a complexity per your attendance count. Let me point this out...each theater is different. The General Manager knows what's best for that theater not the higher ups. They just care about payroll and wages and don't let me get started on raises! There is none. There's so much more to list but I'll keep it to that.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's. You are losing valuable employee's who once LOVED your company and are moving on to bigger and better things.

Regal2019-08-22

"HORRIBLE COMPANY"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Trussville, AL

I have been working at Regal part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1/2 off concessions Made great friends

Cons

Free movies went from 2 a day to 2 a week, and now they're rolling out the Regal Unlimited program for employees...which will be awesome ONLY if we get discounts for it. No way I'm paying for that. Top out pay is LESS than my cities minimum wage. Seriously? No raises No offers for full time unless you get promoted to STL or higher Treatment of their managers is horrible, in less than 6 months we went from 8... managers to 3, and no employee lasts lomger than 90 days.

Advice to Management

To my managers specifically, you deserve so much more than a company that doesn't care about you. Keep looking for better opportunities. To Cinaworld, go screw yourselves. Sell Regal to AMC before you run every good manager you have away.

Regal2019-08-26

"Poor Treatment from Management"

Former Employee - Cast Member in Rolla, MO

I worked at Regal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Polo provided without charge. Well structured training provided early on. Structured performance review. Communicate via email.

Cons

Minimum wage for high expectations. Management considers "Going above and beyond" to be standard (ex. three out of five stars on performance evaluation.) Management treats cast members poorly. Management takes recognition of work from cast members. Management is unwilling to listen to suggestions from cast members. Lack of trust from management. Cast members are expected to follow the most to update rules... without access to said company policies. Serious decline in cast member benefits (ex. two movie tickets per day to two movie tickets per week).

Advice to Management

Treat cast members more fairly. Treat the adults like adults.

Regal2019-07-15