Regence BlueShield Reviews | Glassdoor

Regence BlueShield Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2019

Found 41 reviews

2.7
Regence BlueShield CEO Jonathan Hensley (no image)
Jonathan Hensley

"Claims Analyst"

Claims Analyst II in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, good compensation, clear expectations

Cons

Management Cliques, Favoritism, Claims Manager inexperienced

Advice to Management

Treat your loyal employees better

Regence BlueShield2015-09-04
  2. "Outdated and Old-Fashioned"

Former Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Location, old fashioned ways of doing everything, miserable employees, no communication, clueless managers,

Advice to Management

Get some younger fresher smarter people to manage there.

Regence BlueShield2019-04-28
  3. "Very Tempoary"

Former Employee - Provider Service Representative in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small gym for employee use

Cons

Management, training, work culture, horrible leads, unhelpful support staff, typical call center vibe, unhealthy work environment, no ability to advance unless you're in the "clique"

Regence BlueShield2019-04-04

"Not the healthiest health insurance company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Burlington, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lower management cares about their team members and there's general good rapport among employees. There's pretty okay perks like on site gym, constant catered lunches, discount on insurance, HSA. It was weird to me how often they handed out candy, coffee, pasta, and other garbage to eat considering we're all sedentary all day answering phones.

Cons

You have to clock out to use the bathroom if your bathroom breaks exceed 15 minutes which is just insane to me. If you work in the call center, you don't get to keep your shift time; it's on a rotating basis. But the kicker was having to do ANY call that required follow up research on overtime. There was no mention of this during the hiring process. Essentially, don't expect to succeed unless you don't want to have... a life.

Advice to Management

Make working in the call center a less regimented, chained to your desk atmosphere. Clarify the benefits so less time is wasted explaining coverage and so we are yelled at less by members who have real problems.

Regence BlueShield2017-11-19

"It's like High School . . . And not in a good way."

Current Employee - Provider Service Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Regence BlueShield full-time for less than a year

Pros

Show up on time, meet performance metrics, and you can make Level2 in 6mos , get a 10% bump in pay.

Cons

Difficult social environment, lots of expectations vs pay. Work environment continues to become more and more restrictive.

Regence BlueShield2017-09-08

"BlueCard Customer Service"

BlueCard Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield

Pros

Work from home, fair health benefits, good 401k match, annual performance incentive is "not a bonus."

Cons

Poor top level ivory tower management, directionless directors bent on enforcing harsh quality initiatives. All work subjected to strict audits, points taken for slightest error. Inadequate time allowed for follow-up on aging items. Mandatory quarterly self-development plan. No overtime, ever. Constant changing of procedures. Low employee morale and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Yeah, management is always asking for employee suggestions and sending out surveys. Yet they ignore the obvious issues employees continually discuss. Serious fat-trimming needed at management levels.

Regence BlueShield2016-08-27

"Provider Customer Service I"

Former Employee - Provider Services Consultant in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time

Pros

- Monday through Friday set schedule - Some fun employees - There's a treadmill and some weights in a small room on the bottom floor of the building

Cons

This is going to be rather lengthy, but honest. I started working at Regence in August and was fired without valid reasoning in April. When asked for the reason behind mine and about 5 other employees in Provider Services, I wasn't given detail or even given a prior reprimand for my supposed "appalling behavior." Management is a joke. Luckily, I had the best supervisor on the floor. The level of care that... this company has for its employees is slim to none, and you can tell how unhappy the people that work there are just by how they look. Overweight, overworked, and underpaid. The "cliques" are favored and the "veterans" of the company (regardless of performance statistics) are treated so well but for those who are not so fortunate, they are overlooked and given absolutely no room for career advancement. As if working in a call-center wasn't already stressful, having unfit management spying on you and instant messaging you when you're taking a breather after being verbally harassed for 20 minutes only made it worse for me. I worked on weekends to try and help the teams performance levels and take the weight off some peoples shoulders and got absolutely no "thank you". Mind you, I commuted every single day from Edmonds and worked as much overtime as possible. Bad attitude? I guess you can call it that when I was treated like I was constantly doing something wrong. If management stopped playing favorites, maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high and some of these "supervisors" should get out of their cubicles and spend a day on the phones just to be able to see it from one of their employees perspectives. I find it almost comical that I was terminated for having a bad attitude (still waiting to hear about what I did that was so appalling) but several employees who have been there for a while would make RACIST remarks about third party billers, and make violent threats amongst their peers and got let off with a warning.

Advice to Management

No wonder your service levels are so slow. Maybe instead of firing people with amazing stats and a great work ethic, take that as a direct reflection of your "management" skills, or lack thereof.

Regence BlueShield2016-04-17

"Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great support from other departments within the company. Great earning opportunities as a sales executive

Cons

Not a lot of support from management.

Regence BlueShield2016-02-23

"Interesting Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Regence BlueShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health care benefits, decent salary, good PTO. Depending on your department, there are some excellent/intelligent people at the Seattle office all working extremely hard to be successful.

Cons

Overworked if you're not in the right department. High turnover recently (plus layoffs). I'm not originally from insurance, but there is still so much change and uncertainty, it's hard to stay positive.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring senior level and laying off / firing the people who actually do the work. There's just not enough employees to get everything done that's needed.

Regence BlueShield2016-02-17

"Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good benefits. Good team members to work with. Flexibility to work from home. Company trying to innovate to remain competitive.

Cons

Little job security for even long-term employees as a result of significant focus on cutting operating expenses (i.e., layoffs).

Regence BlueShield2015-11-08