Regence BlueShield Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support from other departments within the company. Great earning opportunities as a sales executive

Cons

Not a lot of support from management.

"BlueCard Customer Service"

Former Employee - BlueCard Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - BlueCard Customer Service in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work from home, fair health benefits, good 401k match, annual performance incentive is "not a bonus."

Cons

Poor top level ivory tower management, directionless directors bent on enforcing harsh quality initiatives. All work subjected to strict audits, points taken for slightest error. Inadequate time allowed for follow-up on aging items. Mandatory quarterly self-development plan. No overtime, ever. Constant changing of procedures. Low employee morale and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Yeah, management is always asking for employee suggestions and sending out surveys. Yet they ignore the obvious issues employees continually discuss. Serious fat-trimming needed at management levels.

"Provider Customer Service I"

Former Employee - Provider Services Consultant in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Provider Services Consultant in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time

Pros

- Monday through Friday set schedule
    - Some fun employees
    - There's a treadmill and some weights in a small room on the bottom floor of the building

Cons

This is going to be rather lengthy, but honest.

I started working at Regence in August and was fired without valid reasoning in April. When asked for the reason behind mine and about 5 other employees in Provider Services, I wasn't given detail or even given a prior reprimand for my supposed "appalling behavior."

Management is a joke. Luckily, I had the best supervisor on the floor. The level of care that this company has for its employees is slim to none, and you can tell how unhappy the people that work there are just by how they look. Overweight, overworked, and underpaid.

The "cliques" are favored and the "veterans" of the company (regardless of performance statistics) are treated so well but for those who are not so fortunate, they are overlooked and given absolutely no room for career advancement.

As if working in a call-center wasn't already stressful, having unfit management spying on you and instant messaging you when you're taking a breather after being verbally harassed for 20 minutes only made it worse for me. I worked on weekends to try and help the teams performance levels and take the weight off some peoples shoulders and got absolutely no "thank you". Mind you, I commuted every single day from Edmonds and worked as much overtime as possible.

Bad attitude? I guess you can call it that when I was treated like I was constantly doing something wrong. If management stopped playing favorites, maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high and some of these "supervisors" should get out of their cubicles and spend a day on the phones just to be able to see it from one of their employees perspectives.

I find it almost comical that I was terminated for having a bad attitude (still waiting to hear about what I did that was so appalling) but several employees who have been there for a while would make RACIST remarks about third party billers, and make violent threats amongst their peers and got let off with a warning.

Advice to Management

No wonder your service levels are so slow. Maybe instead of firing people with amazing stats and a great work ethic, take that as a direct reflection of your "management" skills, or lack thereof.

"Interesting Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Regence BlueShield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health care benefits, decent salary, good PTO. Depending on your department, there are some excellent/intelligent people at the Seattle office all working extremely hard to be successful.

Cons

Overworked if you're not in the right department. High turnover recently (plus layoffs). I'm not originally from insurance, but there is still so much change and uncertainty, it's hard to stay positive.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring senior level and laying off / firing the people who actually do the work. There's just not enough employees to get everything done that's needed.

"Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits. Good team members to work with. Flexibility to work from home. Company trying to innovate to remain competitive.

Cons

Little job security for even long-term employees as a result of significant focus on cutting operating expenses (i.e., layoffs).

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly people, flexible hours and good vacation.

Cons

Poor job advancement support and pay.

"Claims Analyst"

Former Employee - Claims Analyst II in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst II in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good compensation, clear expectations

Cons

Management Cliques, Favoritism, Claims Manager inexperienced

Advice to Management

Treat your loyal employees better

"High standards but rewarding experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, good structure. Decent benefits. Nice potlucks and they had fun games with little bonuses

Cons

Employees are expendable. I saw senior employees let go 18 months shy of their retirements. Money always wins.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good community involvement. Competitive pay for management. Decent benefits.

Cons

Wonderful published values but under the surface, they are not what drives this company. No loyalty to long term employees. If they can find a cheaper option to outsource they will go that way. Claim to be a "local" company but continue to outsource elsewhere with resulting decline in caring service. Claim to be "not for profit" but upper management compensation is obscene.

Advice to Management

Actually live your values!

10. "Claims Analyst III"

Former Employee - Claims Analyst Level III in Port Orchard, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst Level III in Port Orchard, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on Supervisor, good company to work for. My last manager was supportive and allowed us to give our opinions to everything.

Cons

Laid Off, company downsized seniority wasn't taken into account