Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Leonard S. Schleifer
Leonard S. Schleifer

Pros
Cons
  • Depending on your role, your work/life balance can be either great or very bad (in 17 reviews)

• Company expansion comes with growing pains (in 16 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products. Local management is good. Sanofi partners locally are awesome...but corporate doesn't get it.

Cons

Struggling to define a positive culture, any culture. Much posturing by new sales employees initially sent a science based warped culture. Now the culture is somewhat shattered...limping along. Poor communication from the top.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to communicate to sales staff more quickly & often. Seems like leadership wants to have two way dialogue but doesn't know how...there are classes for that...

"Terrible decision to work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- High growth organization
    - Stabilty
    - CEO/CSO are a great asset

Cons

- Poor HR engagement
    - Scientists and R&D folks are well taken care of. If you work in SG&A, you'd be treated like garbage
    - Growth and bonuses are based on who you know, how you know rather than skill
    - Recently updated their appraisal process to make it more vague, so that employees cannot figure out how they were rated and whether they received a good bonus or not
    - Low pay compared to the location. However if you are on the right side of favoritism, you could be filthy rich in no time
    - IT is the biggest hell hole. From leadership to vision, this is a problem area. If you have any overlap with IT, consider that you will never be able to accomplish your goals
    - Did I say, HR business partner is completely disengaged. If you leave the company they will be happy to let you go. My exit interview lasted 5 minutes. It further made me happy with my decision to move on

Advice to Management

- Value your employees
    - Fire all HR business partners. Reinstate a new organization
    - IT leadership needs to go through Anger Management classes
    - I do blame CEO/CSO to a large extent for being disconnected from SG&A organization's well being
    - Discussion with senior management about employee growth/opportunity should never lead to them directing employees to explore opportunities in other companies or organization. Clearly establishes how you value your high performing employees
    - Promotions and hierarchy in the organization can be granted per an Org's leader. Very poorly organized. Encourages demotivation and establishes leaders without skills
    - Westchester is a very expensive area. You need to understand the cost of living is as much as in NY. So stop lying to new employees that its not much different from NJ/CT/PA

3. "Temporary only"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good scientific rigor
    Bland
    Tries to make a difference

Cons

No direction
    One trick pony - innovation
    If you like low sodium Saltines, this place is it!
    Group Think Factory - innovation
    Try to Stay ethical and legal

Advice to Management

Deliver products to patients or go innovate on your own dime.

5. "Data Manager (contract)"

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Very nice Stock Option plan - when it was climbing.

Cons

BioStats/DM management takes a guilty until proven innocent attitude. They gladly beat on people within their department when another department disparages their people without the full story. Don’t believe me – look at how many openings they always have. It’s a revolving door!

"Will anyone save us ?"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company hands down is their desire to help you grow. Courses are offered year round that help you reach your goals.

Cons

Working in IT under the new VP/CIO is like having one thousand paper cuts and submerging yourself in rubbing alcohol. EVERY SINGLE DAY. He is a tyrant who had made the lives of his staff miserable with many choosing not to take vacations because they want to save money as he is constantly threatening to fire people. With the department HR rep refusing to take action, many employees have decided to move on to different companies where they will be respected and treated like humans. when he is not threatening to execute you, which I'm sure is against company policy and grounds for dismissal or a lawsuit, he's calling you stupid and breaking you mentally and spiritually. He has mentioned that the Regeneron way is by babying people and is against many of the policies and procedures. At the end of the day, what will it take for you to remove someone who is causing issues? A lawsuit? He's verbally threatening people and you all are ok with that. No action as been taken at all by HR (which is a joke by the way). MAKE IT GREAT AGAIN!

Advice to Management

Get rid of him or continue to watch your company fail.

"Gross and Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OK pay, good benefits, free food. If you have a family who depends on this paycheck, then stay - i guess most people are there because of that. Be very careful when you are interviewing. Observe everyone and their energy. I made a mistake of jumping into this place thinking it is really #1. There were red flags for sure, but I was too naive and excited.

Cons

If you ended up in a wrong department/group, like me, you will feel like battling at a war zone everyday. Abusive and negative supervisor with no knowledge of leadership and creates negative working group and environment. One day I went to a doctor and she was worried because my blood pressure was up to 150..... Thank God i'm no longer here. Never had I experienced anything like that. I still have nightmare about this place once in a while. I was truly traumatized. Going to meetings was like going to hell.

Advice to Management

No management will do anything about it, the only way to fix it is to fire all the management team. But that is not going to happen because they are making a fortune from stocks and they've been sitting there bullying their way for more than 10+ years. Purely gross and disgusting place. All the negative reviews here are true. The positive reviews - i didn't have the luck to work with those great people.

"It's an OK company - nothing out of the ordinary!"

Current Employee - Scientist in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Scientist in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent science and if you're lucky and in a decent group, maybe decent colleagues.

Cons

No work life balance, employees who've been there 1+ years seem to have ego issues and godly air about themselves, culture is weird, company thinks employees will feel good with their "free" food treats here and there. Crappy benefits that are mediocre!

Advice to Management

Company is headed downwards, people in the company are wanting to do projects that make no scientific sense and just to fulfill their old intellectual curiosity; you're not running the company for such "charity" work, it's for profit and so make sure such wastage of money and resources isn't happening. Change the culture of the company and improve the benefits as they're crappy!

"Rensselaer is a disaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company pays well, has good benefits, and promotes quickly. If you can get into a department that doesn't directly support manufacturing (i.e. HR or continuous improvement) you are likely to reap the benefits the company has to offer, the rest are the ones doing the bulk of the work for the company without the free breakfasts and events.

Cons

The turnover in manufacturing is constant resulting in promotions in less than a year of working with the company. Within three years a 25 year old can be an associate manager. This has resulted in unprofessional and untrained management. The management doesn't know how to differentiate the desire to be friends with their reports versus delegating and managing them.

Across departments individuals are backdating and forging peers initial and dates on documents. HR and management brush these actions under the rug rather than taking care of the problem.

Despite concerns about lack of breaks in manufacturing, management seems to alleviate none of these issues. It takes an employee being gravely injured to allow the other employees a lunch or water break from the clean room. Health and safety issues are constantly brought to management, HR, and EHS. Issues like no breaks for 10 hour shifts, rusting equipment, and hoses leaking 10N NaOH are constantly ignored.

The culture of the company has diminished. They no longer seem concerned with a person's personality fitting with the Regeneron 5, just the need to rapidly fill hundreds of positions at a site that is at max capacity. Individuals are trained poorly, pushed to off-shift positions with limited guidance and scolded for any mistakes made.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns, before individuals get hurt worse than they already have been.

"Think twice"

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Manager in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Manager in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

No formal dress code, has quarterly parties, kids day for columbus day holiday

Cons

No work life balance; management doesn't know how to properly resource the dept.

Advice to Management

Understand the frustration of the dept re. resourcing; instead of just acknowledging, do something more tangible than giving us lip service.

"So sad"

Current Employee - IT Administrator in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - IT Administrator in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the overall culture and the focus on the science-to-medicine, the company has a good pipeline and hopefully will do well for years to come. Theres some fun perks for the employees like summer parties and free frozen yogurt.

Cons

I like this company so much and writing something bad about them is heartbreaking for me but it has to be said, due to the terrible and toxic environment in IT. The overall good culture of the company just doesn't exist there anymore. I found out about glassdoor.com from a colleague and I'm glad this forum is here for my voice to be heard. But honestly, I just hope someone is listening. In the span of less than a year, Regeneron has gone from a place I wanted to stay to a place I may have to leave and fast.

Advice to Management

Dear Management, My advice is to listen to what is being said about IT. It's a small company and we all talk. We all know that the abusive and sometimes cruel words and actions of the VP/CIO have been reported to HR and compliance and yet nothing has been done to bring a change here. Like they say to addicts, you can't get better until you admit that you have a problem. Well Regeneron has a problem and it's time to admit it before even more damage is done. Regeneron is growing so fast and IT needs to grow up so that it can serve the needs of the people doing the real work, your scientists. But I don't think that can happen under the current leadership, which is more like tyranny. Again I am so sorry to have to write a bad review today but I'm sure lots of others are going to do the same if something doesn't change.