Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Leonard S. Schleifer
Leonard S. Schleifer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes can be a difficult work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Growing pains leading to burn outs (in 17 reviews)

"Scientist: Great Top-Level Management - Poor Middle-Level Management"

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The top-level management has great future plans for the company. Their strategies for the discovery of drug is impeccable.

Cons

Workplace favoritism is rampant and is destroying the moral and motivation of the employees to work.
    Middle-Level managers are not appointed based on their competencies and as a result they fail to execute the ideas developed by Top-Level Management. Sometimes, to cover their incompetency, they won’t hesitate to set up scientists and research associates for failure.
    Senior level managers understand all the issues; but prefer not to address them. Instead, they protect the middle-level managers and expect us to work with the existing problem.
    Newly hired senior managers fail to retain the core values that Regeneron was built on.
    As a first job, Regeneron is a good company. However, please do not expect any career growth working for Regeneron. If career growth is important for you, then you are better of finding a new job after 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

Please protect the interests of motivated scientists and research associates.

"proofreader"

Former Contractor - Proofreader in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Contractor - Proofreader in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

high hourly wage, new faciity

Cons

poor or no training, brainiacs who can't teach or guide new workers who have tons of experience and transferrable skills, worker faulted for loss of work time when computer was not working for hours at a time

Advice to Management

hire trainers; don't entrust science and computer wizards with training people who really want to go temp to perm but are left to flounder

3. "Cardiovascular Medical Specialist"

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Medical Specialist in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Medical Specialist in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (More than a year)

Pros

Great pipeline and science driven company

Cons

Poor product launch, co promote is terrible

Advice to Management

communicate

"Good for all departments except for IT"

Current Employee - Research in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Research in Tarrytown, NY

Pros

Most people are very innovative, very caring (see below for the exception)...

Cons

When I first started here two years ago, meetings involving folks within the IT department were friendly and cooperative. Now the folks with IT remind me of deers staring into a headlights waiting to be run over by a truck. Its a wonder some of them don't faint under the stressful environment that they now are forced to work in. I haven't seen anyone smile who works within IT for months...

IT now has a culture where the overriding imperative is not to help others, but to "CYA" so the CIO chooses someone else to yell at and berate. And he still may berate or even belittle you in the most unprofessional way possible, just because he's in a bad mood. He seems to mistreat female employees the worst.

It's so sad to see my friends in IT being mistreated like this.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard look at the IT department and how miserable everyone is because of the unprofessional, vindictive, and petty CIO.

"Can the IT team be trusted to do the right time for other business units"

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The executive management team of Len and George and their direct reports are outstanding. Always patient focused.

Cons

My business unit depends on the IT department. Can I depend on them for my future needs when I have witnessed the CIO manage by insults, anger and fear? At meetings that I have attended, he can be apologetic and pleasant for a very short time and then be downright insulting and threatening. I've heard that he tells his direct reports “outside this meeting room is the most "talentless" group of individuals that I have ever worked with”. How can I feel comfortable relying on a dysfunctional IT team headed up by this CIO?

Again and again I hear that IT has become a hostile work environment with retaliatory comments from the CIO. Being professional, I am sure that HR has discussed these issues with him and quite possibly they want to give him another chance but always remember that a leopard cannot change its spots and neither can he. I’d much rather outsource my IT requirements than rely on the current REGN IT Team.

Advice to Management

A change in IT is needed. In my opinion, forgiving the CIO for his insults, and bad behaviour is the wrong thing to do. Insults, anger and fear is not what REGN stands for nor ever allowed in the past The longer this CIO is employed by Regeneron the more damage he will do.

"Review with "Weird Enviroment" Title nailed it!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO & CSO are passionate about creating drugs that help people.

Cons

Growing too fast without appropriate infrastructure. Inbred structure where people are promoted into roles without adequate experience. Hire experienced people from outside the company for their experience; however, current inbred society doesn't embrace change no matter how much they say they do!!! I don't think anyone really knows whose is responsible for doing what. Total lack of control and oversight over vendors and then blame vendors for issues that could have been addressed with proper oversight. Progressive with science, but the rest of the clinical development is in the dark ages, too many manual processes and lack of knowledge about how to be successful in their work. let's blame the system for not being easy to work with and change it when the other significant piece regarding lack of understanding and OVERSIGHT is ignored. So New system- same issues!!!!!

See the zombies in the hallway all smiling - they've drank the koolaid and think the way Regeneron operates is state of the art. Word to the ignorant- although your science is amazing, the clinical development area is third world and has some serious issues that need to be addressed- unfortunately, you need to shake that area up and totally restructure how they operate, Some people are totally arrogant and are proud of how Regeneron operates (sure they do have some great things to be proud of but ...). Some managers have unrealistic expectations regarding how long work takes to do and unfortunately many employees are working a tremendous number or hours to be successful OR are cutting corners to make this happen. There is also fear of repercussion from many personnel about speaking out about what is not working - even when it is valid (this includes sharing with their managers as well as HR). People do have some valid reasons to be concerned!!!!!

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at the clinical development area. An advanced degree and longevity with Regeneron do not equal success. The company has grown like a tumor and a lot of how work is being done doesn't make sense. Overly burdensome processes (why do something in 4 steps when you can have 20, some of which are just adding words or requirements that are not needed). Hire some independent consultants and have 1:1 sessions with people to obtain feedback about work that doesn't make sense and suggestions for improvement, Would be great to also contact previous employees as they may be more open to sharing. You need to understand how the company works, align roles and responsibilities and not trust that everything you are told by your senior, senior managers is accurate.

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the pace they're going, this company will continue to grow.
    I have to acknowledge the science is impressive.
    They also have lots of parties, if you can afford to leave your desk.
    People can get promoted very quickly in order to increase retention.

Cons

I am mystified at all the positive reviews, so I decided to post my personal experience to provide some balance. This company has a great reputation because of the growth and the stakeholder value, but you can only see the culture and environment if you are there experiencing it.
    I left another job and a higher position to accept a job here for the development opportunity. Boy, did I regret the change.
    My particular function involved cross functional interactions with other colleagues so my experience can be applied to other areas of the company.
    First of all, expect to have no work/life balance. I worked 12-16 hours everyday, and was expected to be available 24/7 including weekends.
    Second, beware that compensation offered is not good. Stock options and your 401k are on a vesting schedule, so you actually have to hang out there for a few years to reap some benefits.
    Until fairly recently, this company was very small. So most of management are there because they were at the beginning without regards for know-how, management nor people skills. Tons of beyond arrogant people who are always so mean to each other. It is very hard to get things done when people are bickering over no issues.
    In many ways the company is still being handled as if it was very small, with most decision-making done by a handful of people and everyone bending over backwards to accommodate nonsensical commands from the top. This is probably the saddest part of all, because I saw very hardworking scientists and professionals so disillusioned by this, especially because if people really focused on the science and the patients instead of the bottom line, maybe things would be perceived differently by some of us.
    Turnover is very high. Not everyone can stand the level of stress along with the beyond fast paced, ambitious attitude. Three people were hired in my former area after I left. I know of two who have already left this particular area. For full disclosure, have to acknowledge that most of my awful experience is related to my direct management, but I didn't see that much difference around me in my particular department.
    If you are young, energetic and interested in working in the company's side of science, this may be a worthy developmental opportunity. If you are older, more experienced, have a family or cannot take a risky career move, this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management because any potential improvement would have to significantly alter the company culture. That will never happen.

"Postdoctoral fellow"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Nearly unlimited resources for research, very nice colleagues to work with

Cons

Poor communication between managers, unreasonable work load and time lines, salary is low for the very high cost of living

"Rewarding at times, but overall emotionally, mentally unhealthy place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, raises and stock. That's about all I can say that is good about this place. If you like money with a price this is a good place for you.

Cons

Honestly stayed for the money and decided to leave because at the end it wasn't worth my health. I can work long hours and offer ideas- that wasn't the problem. The people, management and the overall culture has changed since I was hired four years ago. My boss was mentally abusive and cold as well as belittling and the people around me and outside of my group began looking for ways to hurt people's livelihood instead of work as a team. People would get others fired or demoted with no remorse and this is the new culture of Regeneron. Aside from the entry pay and stock- which is falling daily now I would never recommend this place to anyone I care about. It literally takes over your life and sucks the life out of you.

Advice to Management

You're not as important as you believe you are and the world can turn without you.

"Clinical Study Manager"

Pros

small biotech company, growing and learning

Cons

management, senior management needs to grow