Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Leonard S. Schleifer
Leonard S. Schleifer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes can be a difficult work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Company expansion comes with growing pains (in 19 reviews)

"1-Star Overall, Extra Star for Compensation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

Very little regard for science or quality. Production drives or decides everything, and Quality is too ignorant to push back effectively. QA/QC labs are minimized in the face of production demands for a normal schedule. Although digital, quality systems are decades behind. Experience from other companies is not at all valued, leaving this company lacking in standards. Contrary to company rhetoric, Regeneron has a huge focus on PR and propaganda, and the environment unofficially promotes those who unquestioningly spread it, favoring the socially dominant and soft-skilled people over those with tangible merit that would be recognized and appreciated by any industry-standard external observer.

Advice to Management

Learn humility as separate from weakness. Listen and learn from peers and subordinates who are closer to the day-to-day. Paychecks don't solve everything. And paychecks don't mean you know everything.

"Growing company"

Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Care for employees and have great benefits.

Cons

Consultants are not treated as if they are part of the company and this hinders overall company morale.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working with the company for over a year. My immediate management was lacking proper direction and had little knowledge of the position she managed. She constantly looked for mistakes in people / departments so she could watch them fail. I found myself always defending others and being a voice for them as they always felt bullied. This company can grow more if they actually addressed these issues. I have seen great people leave this place due to poor management not being trained properly.

"Stay away from this site (Rensselaer) for your own sanity"

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Benefits, salary, great pipeline, great peers at the shop floor level

Cons

Is a very stressful environment in all the wrong ways. Stress is expected in a highly regulated environment, but most of the stress at this company (Rensselaer site) is created by it's SLT, mostly from his leader who is a bully and not respectful to people followed by his "mini me" at the SLT and JLT

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, value your employees for what they bring to the table and not for not be willing to give up their integrity and just do what the "Olympus" want them to do. Walk the talk....right now the talking of employees who worked or are currently working at the Rensselaer site is not aligned with the wrongful leadership acts.

"What Dept Do the Good Reviews Come From?"

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

good benefits, a lot of catering, free breakfast on Friday

Cons

awful work life balance; management has little to no training; have the attitude that you are just a number and I was actually told that I am expected to leave in 2 years whether I go to another department or another company; we have to get as much work out of you as we can. Attitude to push work through without being thorough.

Advice to Management

Slow down, treat people better, stop putting bandaids on things and fix your systems and process right, train your managers and assess them; HR needs a stronger presence.

"proofreader"

Former Contractor - Proofreader in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Contractor - Proofreader in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

high hourly wage, new faciity

Cons

poor or no training, brainiacs who can't teach or guide new workers who have tons of experience and transferrable skills, worker faulted for loss of work time when computer was not working for hours at a time

Advice to Management

hire trainers; don't entrust science and computer wizards with training people who really want to go temp to perm but are left to flounder

"Cardiovascular Medical Specialist"

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Medical Specialist in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Medical Specialist in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (More than a year)

Pros

Great pipeline and science driven company

Cons

Poor product launch, co promote is terrible

Advice to Management

communicate

"Can the IT team be trusted to do the right time for other business units"

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The executive management team of Len and George and their direct reports are outstanding. Always patient focused.

Cons

My business unit depends on the IT department. Can I depend on them for my future needs when I have witnessed the CIO manage by insults, anger and fear? At meetings that I have attended, he can be apologetic and pleasant for a very short time and then be downright insulting and threatening. I've heard that he tells his direct reports “outside this meeting room is the most "talentless" group of individuals that I have ever worked with”. How can I feel comfortable relying on a dysfunctional IT team headed up by this CIO?

Again and again I hear that IT has become a hostile work environment with retaliatory comments from the CIO. Being professional, I am sure that HR has discussed these issues with him and quite possibly they want to give him another chance but always remember that a leopard cannot change its spots and neither can he. I’d much rather outsource my IT requirements than rely on the current REGN IT Team.

Advice to Management

A change in IT is needed. In my opinion, forgiving the CIO for his insults, and bad behaviour is the wrong thing to do. Insults, anger and fear is not what REGN stands for nor ever allowed in the past The longer this CIO is employed by Regeneron the more damage he will do.

"Good for all departments except for IT"

Current Employee - Research in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Research in Tarrytown, NY

Pros

Most people are very innovative, very caring (see below for the exception)...

Cons

When I first started here two years ago, meetings involving folks within the IT department were friendly and cooperative. Now the folks with IT remind me of deers staring into a headlights waiting to be run over by a truck. Its a wonder some of them don't faint under the stressful environment that they now are forced to work in. I haven't seen anyone smile who works within IT for months...

IT now has a culture where the overriding imperative is not to help others, but to "CYA" so the CIO chooses someone else to yell at and berate. And he still may berate or even belittle you in the most unprofessional way possible, just because he's in a bad mood. He seems to mistreat female employees the worst.

It's so sad to see my friends in IT being mistreated like this.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard look at the IT department and how miserable everyone is because of the unprofessional, vindictive, and petty CIO.

"Review with "Weird Enviroment" Title nailed it!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO & CSO are passionate about creating drugs that help people.

Cons

Growing too fast without appropriate infrastructure. Inbred structure where people are promoted into roles without adequate experience. Hire experienced people from outside the company for their experience; however, current inbred society doesn't embrace change no matter how much they say they do!!! I don't think anyone really knows whose is responsible for doing what. Total lack of control and oversight over vendors and then blame vendors for issues that could have been addressed with proper oversight. Progressive with science, but the rest of the clinical development is in the dark ages, too many manual processes and lack of knowledge about how to be successful in their work. let's blame the system for not being easy to work with and change it when the other significant piece regarding lack of understanding and OVERSIGHT is ignored. So New system- same issues!!!!!

See the zombies in the hallway all smiling - they've drank the koolaid and think the way Regeneron operates is state of the art. Word to the ignorant- although your science is amazing, the clinical development area is third world and has some serious issues that need to be addressed- unfortunately, you need to shake that area up and totally restructure how they operate, Some people are totally arrogant and are proud of how Regeneron operates (sure they do have some great things to be proud of but ...). Some managers have unrealistic expectations regarding how long work takes to do and unfortunately many employees are working a tremendous number or hours to be successful OR are cutting corners to make this happen. There is also fear of repercussion from many personnel about speaking out about what is not working - even when it is valid (this includes sharing with their managers as well as HR). People do have some valid reasons to be concerned!!!!!

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at the clinical development area. An advanced degree and longevity with Regeneron do not equal success. The company has grown like a tumor and a lot of how work is being done doesn't make sense. Overly burdensome processes (why do something in 4 steps when you can have 20, some of which are just adding words or requirements that are not needed). Hire some independent consultants and have 1:1 sessions with people to obtain feedback about work that doesn't make sense and suggestions for improvement, Would be great to also contact previous employees as they may be more open to sharing. You need to understand how the company works, align roles and responsibilities and not trust that everything you are told by your senior, senior managers is accurate.

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the pace they're going, this company will continue to grow.
    I have to acknowledge the science is impressive.
    They also have lots of parties, if you can afford to leave your desk.
    People can get promoted very quickly in order to increase retention.

Cons

I am mystified at all the positive reviews, so I decided to post my personal experience to provide some balance. This company has a great reputation because of the growth and the stakeholder value, but you can only see the culture and environment if you are there experiencing it.
    I left another job and a higher position to accept a job here for the development opportunity. Boy, did I regret the change.
    My particular function involved cross functional interactions with other colleagues so my experience can be applied to other areas of the company.
    First of all, expect to have no work/life balance. I worked 12-16 hours everyday, and was expected to be available 24/7 including weekends.
    Second, beware that compensation offered is not good. Stock options and your 401k are on a vesting schedule, so you actually have to hang out there for a few years to reap some benefits.
    Until fairly recently, this company was very small. So most of management are there because they were at the beginning without regards for know-how, management nor people skills. Tons of beyond arrogant people who are always so mean to each other. It is very hard to get things done when people are bickering over no issues.
    In many ways the company is still being handled as if it was very small, with most decision-making done by a handful of people and everyone bending over backwards to accommodate nonsensical commands from the top. This is probably the saddest part of all, because I saw very hardworking scientists and professionals so disillusioned by this, especially because if people really focused on the science and the patients instead of the bottom line, maybe things would be perceived differently by some of us.
    Turnover is very high. Not everyone can stand the level of stress along with the beyond fast paced, ambitious attitude. Three people were hired in my former area after I left. I know of two who have already left this particular area. For full disclosure, have to acknowledge that most of my awful experience is related to my direct management, but I didn't see that much difference around me in my particular department.
    If you are young, energetic and interested in working in the company's side of science, this may be a worthy developmental opportunity. If you are older, more experienced, have a family or cannot take a risky career move, this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management because any potential improvement would have to significantly alter the company culture. That will never happen.