Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Second Purser"

Current Employee - Second Purser in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Second Purser in Miami, FL

I have been working at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travelling, meeting new people, guest relations, services

Cons

Being away from home for long periods of time (contract length is usually 5 months.

Advice to Management

Shorter contracts, offer retirement benefits and medical cover whilst on vacatopn

2. "Miserable Employees"

Former Employee - Air Concierge in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Air Concierge in Omaha, NE

I worked at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I felt the pay and benefits were acceptable.

Cons

A typical day involves being on pins and needles as the rules change minute by minute. My immediate supervisor micro-managed me to the point of exhaustion, while other employees seemed to be untouchable. You cannot speak your mind without being in fear of being fired. I was told using words like "I would do it this way" or "just my opinion" were sarcastic and I should keep my opinions to myself. If you can put up and shut up even when your immediate supervisor is hypercritical, then maybe you could tolerate working there. The upper management does nothing about the constant abuse.

Advice to Management

From Forbes "5 signs of poor management":

1. Miserable Employees
    It's one thing to talk about your boss behind her back over an isolated upset, but when the majority of employees within a department or organization are vocally complaining about the work environment, you can be sure this is a sign of poor management. While managers should always encourage employees to voice their concerns, there is a clear difference between venting issues and a spreading fire of workplace angst. If your organization seems to have a revolving door policy, constantly losing employees due to personality or performance issues, then it's probably time to evaluate the effectiveness of the management. Positive and straight-forward communication typically go much further than disciplinary measures and threatening language. This is an important lesson for every manager.

2. A Big Ego
    Managers who have a political or personal agenda are also likely to have big egos. While it is natural to think that people in positions of power develop big heads, effective managers act as team players, not dictators. Managers that are constantly taking the credit for the work of their employees are often feeling personally threatened. Acting with a big ego is a defense mechanism and is a poor way to manage workplace situations.

3. Low Productivity
    Employees who feel that their bosses are ego-maniacs also find it hard to produce as much as employees in happier workplaces. This is easy to understand: There is little to no motivation to be an efficient or effective worker when your boss never goes the extra mile to encourage or reward your performance. One of the clearest signs of poor management is indecisiveness. Managers who do not set goals and expectations for their employees will end up with low productivity units.

4. Resistance to Change
    Change is inevitable and yet poor managers are afraid of it. This, like having a big ego, has to do with feeling threatened by employees or situations. Effective managers are able to embrace innovation and change, and to manage employee problems before they become crises. Poor managers have no idea how to do this and instead are constantly looking for quick fixes.

5. One-Way Communication
    It should come as no surprise that poor managers are also poor listeners. Employees want and deserve to be heard. Effective managers listen to their employees, consider alternative viewpoints, and are fair decision-makers. If you find your boss avoiding conversation, you can count this among the signs of bad management skills. Likewise, managers that can't take constructive criticism are probably not skilled leaders, as effective managers are able to motivate a team while simultaneously listening to the team's suggestions.

"ACD"

Current Employee - Singer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Singer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great way to see the world and meet people from various countries

Cons

Being away from home for most of the year can be hard. Also living in very cramped and small rooms with little to do while at sea but work

Advice to Management

continue to give support

4. "Cruise Account Executive"

Former Employee - Cruise Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Cruise Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Regent Seven Seas Cruises (More than a year)

Pros

Great department, team and management.

Cons

No cons I can think of.

5. "Travel Manager"

I worked at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent way of seeing the world
    Relatively good salary

Cons

Some management on the ship can be very obnoxious

6. "Cruise Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL

I worked at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time

Pros

Best group of people I worked with in a long period of time. The people here know how to do there jobs and do them well. No in office drama either. Plenty of room for growth and they do tend to promote internally.

Cons

Sometimes a customer service position can stress you out which is typical with any call center environment.

Advice to Management

Increase the incentive

"Hard work, lots of hours in exchange for seeing the world"

Current Employee - Assistant Cruise Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Cruise Director

I have been working at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time

Pros

great ports of call and interesting guests

Cons

90 hour work weeks, very little support

Advice to Management

Hire Cruise Directors who manage in an inspirational way who support

8. "Management is terrible."

I worked at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good itineraries, workload for my position and salary were good compared to other cruise lines.

Cons

Managers onboard and in the head office were terrible. I was required to work after being quarantined with an illness and then made to sterilize the area afterwords. This happened more than once. I was also required to do work for the Cruise Directors personal website. Company policy of giving a mid contract review were never followed in my case by my boss. Then on my end of contract review I was critiqued on things that had never been previously brought up as problematic. My boss was a fanatical micro manger, insisting on injecting himself into every aspect of my work although he had no background or expertise in the area. I personally witnessed employees being fired for minor infractions mere days before the end of their contracts thus requiring them to pay their own transportation costs home. Reported abuse is ignored by head office. Incompetence is acceptable as long as you are liked by the right people while hard work and dedication goes unnoticed and unrewarded if you don't suck up to your boss.

9. "A six-stary luxury cruise lines who's ships goes around the world and I loved it!"

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Regent Seven Seas Cruises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a luxury cruise lines is a plus. You work at the same time travel for free! I've been almost around the world working onboard for almost fifteen (15) years. And I think it's time for me now to work on land for good.

Cons

Working onboard have ups & downs of course! You travel a lot while doing your own work but sometimes you feel awful because of the weather and movement of the ship.

Advice to Management

The management are the Best! We have a crew welfare that takes care of all the crew and think of the benefits of the crew.

10. "Positive and excellent learning experience."

Current Employee - General Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

Ability to use your own initiative with good support from the Company

Cons

Months away at sea each contract.

Advice to Management

More ship managers should be groomed for advancement