Region of Peel Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Region of Peel Toronto Reviews

Updated September 2, 2016

Toronto, ON, Canada Area (Canada)

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Region of Peel Regional Chair Emil V. Kolb
Emil V. Kolb

"Promotes and supports technical development"

Current Employee - Project Manager Strategic Projects in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager Strategic Projects in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Region of Peel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to contribute to the community well being and thriving. Trust, respect and confidence. Work hours flexibility and focus on results.

Cons

Career advancements still not connected to contribution to mission, values and goals achievement. Needs improvement on outcomes and impact achievement.

Advice to Management

Support leadership skills developent and career growth.

"Weighscale Operator"

Former Employee - Weighscale Operator in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Weighscale Operator in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Region of Peel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay with benefits, sitting down (if you like that), 5% supervised, comfy municipal job

Cons

sitting down all day, repetitive, disrespectful residents and employees, nepotism.

Advice to Management

Work on making a fair workplace for all, especially those that are university educated. Cut the nepotism out!

3. "Technical Analyst"

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Region of Peel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advancement, growth, work like balance.

Cons

personal experience depends on the management. Can be amazing, can also kills the motivation you once had.

Advice to Management

Recognize good employees, invest, promote, give them challenge and recognition.

5. "Master of Public Health Student Summer Placement"

Former Contractor - Master of Public Health Student Summer Placement in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Region of Peel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Decent pay for placement student
    - Great opportunities to network (Orientation, poster fair, divisional meeting)
    - Excellent preceptor who was very helpful, responsive, and respectful

Cons

- Very bureaucratic
    - Too many levels of management
    - Associate Medical Officer of Health was not approachable
    - Location was not the greatest - not many options for lunch

Advice to Management

- More communication between various levels of management (directors, managers, supervisors)
    - More opportunities for students to explore other divisions of public health

6. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros

It's fun and people there are friendly. You would receive help and direction all the time

Cons

Not very fast paced working environment but you still have opportunity to learn.

Advice to Management

Not much. I believe that they are fine. They would not push you very hard but you have to know what to do.

7. "Alright for a student summer contract"

Former Contractor - Assistant Technical Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Assistant Technical Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Region of Peel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can obtain work experience here. There are a few co-workers who have been working here for years that you can get a great amount of knowledge from. If you're a full-time worker, the benefits are very great. If you're a co-op student, however, you won't be able to receive any of those great benefits.

Cons

Low pay, a great amount of politics, as well as workplace bullying. You will barely get any respect. It really depends on who your manager is, but when I worked here I was pretty much threatened to be fired each day even though I signed a contract.

There is an inane amount of workplace politics each day, including racism. Although it was never mentioned in the interview or the job description, my managers hired me only because they assumed I spoke a particular language based on the colour of my skin. They wanted me to speak Hindi or Punjabi to clients in Peel, to which I said I was South American and didn't speak those languages. After that, my manager told me to my face that I had to speak Hindi or Punjabi if I wanted to work here. Subsequently, I was laid off. Rather than spending tens of thousands of dollars to fight a case, it's really better just to look for a job where you'd be happy to go to work each day and the managers treat you with respect rather than being deceitful.

You will have absolutely no influence on the decisions. The parking for the Region of Peel is worse than mall parking; you'll need to come early. You will not get recognition unless you've spent your whole life here and become friends with the co-workers. You'll pretty much also require outside connections to succeed and it won't be rare to see someone who doesn't produce good work to get promotions. External promotions tend to be the norm and you won't be able to use your credentials as a bargaining chip. To illustrate an example, my manager had a eight month diploma from Humber College, while I had spent eight years obtaining a bachelor's and master's in applied science from the University of Toronto.

Advice to Management

Watch out for those who work smart, not necessarily hard, and reward them appropriately.

8. "Great place to work as a student during the summer"

Former Intern - Summer Student in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Summer Student in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Region of Peel as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, great teamwork environment

Cons

Pay scale is low in comparison to other places

Advice to Management

none

9. "Assisted with team of technology analysts with daily support functions"

Former Intern - Information Systems Technology Services in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Region of Peel as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very trustworthy. You get to work at your own pace, and co-workers always help each other out. Also, the location is very convenient. It's always a different day, making the challenges more exciting.

Cons

The archived tech instructions not up to date when installing software for clients. Sometimes working with irate clients that can effect your schedule with other clients.

10. "In these economic times I am very fortunate to be working for this company."

Current Employee - Enforcement in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Enforcement in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Job security, competitive salary, pension and benefits.

Cons

Wages may not be as good as similar position in the private sector but job security makes up for it.

Advice to Management

Management should consider and place more value on input and suggestions from employees.

11. "Experience was great!"

Former Employee - EMS in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - EMS in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Region of Peel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work-life balance is amazing!

Cons

slow pace in the public sector