Regional News Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard E. French, Jr.

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Local and National Account Manager in Rye Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Local and National Account Manager in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who are dedicated and smart

Cons

None really if you work hard it is noticed but family run so there is that

Advice to Management

Keep looking to grow the business

2. "Terrible Place to Work - RUN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rye, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rye, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none that I can think of during my time of employment

Cons

Get rid of management and it would be better because to them, the business (which is supposed to be ethical) is a playground to have fun.

Advice to Management

Worked there for two months, The worst place EVER.. An extremely negative company culture that stems from management. I was harassed and ended up resigning within two months after being warned not to do so. Afterwards, I mysteriously found myself with an unfavorable reputation (out of the blue), and at the end of smear campaign that was so bad I have not work since. It has now been over year and after living in working in New York State with a great career, w/o a problem prior, not one single problem, & then suddenly I couldn't get hired anywhere, and I still can’t. It's a play ground for the owners and if you get on their bad side you will be punished and it becomes an obsession for them. They have a way of using their wealth and resources (connections) to find any information on you to distort and/or embellish to recreate your history to paint you in a negative light where your entire career (or identity for that matter) suddenly never existed, and unfortunately no one will believe you. They will contact whomever they need to contact including existing contacts within your network to prevent you from defending yourself and/or getting anywhere, and you will NOT be able to do anything about it. You will be seen the way they want you to be seen. In fact, no one will bother to ask you questions, research and/or verify the validity of anything. Strategically, they are that good. I’ve never experience anything like this in my entire work history that now, out of the blue, seems questionable. Google Narcissism/manipulation/smear campaign (consider their unlimited resources),and RUN for your life. Now I am not saying this happens to everyone only to those that get on their bad side, and as I said no one will believe you and ironically, you will be looked at as though you were the problem. Nevertheless, if you really want to work in media without any potential hassle look into other opportunities at NY1 or News 12 to spare your career, reputation, and relationships.

"Yesterdays news today"

Former Employee - Producer in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you pretty much know what story you can be covering based on Lohud, NJ. com, northjersey. com, the patch, or any other news agencies even news 12. Whatever they report today fios will cover tomorrow. "first on fios , last on a story".

Cons

everything about this company from the ceo to the desk.

Advice to Management

pay more and maybe people will care more and do more for you when you need it. theres a reason the owners name is Richard.

"Nope. Nope. Nope."

Former Employee - Video Editor in Rye Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Video Editor in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lack of oversight from incompetent management means you can tailor your job to how you want to work. Put in your time for "experience" on the resume then get out.

Cons

Not everyone is qualified enough to work without a TREMENDOUS amount of oversight, cleanliness of dayside staff is a real problem, management plays favorites, poor staff appreciation, poor communication, minimal organization, bad work-habits abound, mandatory weekends, staff is overworked and underpaid compared to the same job(s) everywhere else I've been since.

Advice to Management

If ownership isn't changed, nothing will change. This apple is rotten from the core.

"AWFUL JUST W_RRUN away"

Former Employee - Video Editor in Ringwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Video Editor in Ringwood, NJ

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free pizza every other friday

Cons

16 dollars an hour to start and no promotion. People quit to get better wages

Advice to Management

fire yourselves, you dont deserve to run a tv station

7. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Riverdale, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Riverdale, NY

I worked at Regional News Network (More than a year)

Pros

Close group of colleagues that are very open to new hires and looking to produce the best news possible.

Cons

The life of a journalist is ridiculously busy and not always fulfilling.

"Producer"

Former Employee - Producer in Rye Brook, NY

Pros

The people, excluding senior management. Nice building with a gym. Free parking at an indoor garage. Don't make the mistake of parking in one of the "reserved" spaces. You will be chewed out and possible fired.

Cons

Low salaries and long hours. Head anchor is a bully who only has a job because his father owns the station.

Advice to Management

Replace head of news with a real journalist who speaks well and is intelligent; raise salaries across the board and most importantly-treat people with respect.

"HORRIBLE. If I could pick no stars, I would."

Former Employee - News Production in Rye Brook, NY
    Former Employee - News Production in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. The job is easy. Nothing too complicated when you have a news station run by people who don't understand the business.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. Let me just begin by saying that morale is so low, people don't do a good job because of it. There are such incompetent people who work here and somehow get promoted, meanwhile if you work hard and try to do a good job you're stuck in the same position for years, which let me add that being here longer than 6 months makes you a veteran employee. People leave immediately after starting after seeing how horrible it is.

Producers are basically behind the camera reporters, while the reporters are put on some twisted pedestal and treated like celebrities. Editors restore video all day long and manage media ... you know, like a media manager should.

RNN also has editors rip youtube videos on a daily basis without giving courtesy, then has them archive it as if it were their own media... and reuse it. Call me crazy, but that just seems slightly not okay. or legal.

SPEAKING OF THE EDITORS. They are people who can't handle stress, talk back to Producers, and generally sit around talking about one another or extremely inappropriate subjects for a workplace. Don't get me wrong, there are couple golden eggs, and trust me, those guys are way too talented to be at RNN.... but they are far outnumbered by the rotten, incompetent ones which unfortunately waste their time complaining all day.

Then you have the low pay. I get it. It's a local station. Salaries are never high in local news... but other local networks at least have their S%#T together. Just about everyone is salary, but works 6-7 days a week with no over time. RNN doesn't even pay time and a half for those who ARE hourly on holidays. HR literally laughs at the idea of getting holiday pay or time and a half on national holidays.

Did I mention every time I check who the HR manager is, it's a new person? Just look at the vacancies. RNN is always hiring because people realize how horrible it is here and leave immediately. See any vacancies open for months at a time? It's not a mistake, they can never just fully fill positions which is why they stay up.

The amount of gossip and tension between people is so unhealthy, its exhausting. People are constantly upset because of having to deal with such incompetent coworkers who constantly blame others for their mistakes. People are fixing one another's mistakes on a daily basis.

Not only that, but the equipment this company still uses is sub par and we are all expected to produce quality graphics and content with computers still running Photoshop CS4 and an edit program called dps velocity from 15 years ago.

Management doesn't CARE to fix any issues and is perfectly content with continuing this dysfunctional cycle of turnover because honestly, there's no changing this place. When/if this company ever went public, you'll see real changes... until then.... it will continue to be a nightmare.

Did you know that RNN is an ABC affiliate? NO? They're not? Someone should let them know because they keep bragging about it. The only affiliation they have to ABC is that they pay for a subscription video service (Pathfire) that ABC sells. THATS IT. They have no other ties. So if you interview and they tell you that, know they're full of CRAP. I know this because I was told this.

All in all, this feels like a college TV station because people are figuring things out as they go. I can't even recommend this as a good place to start because rookies will learn terrible habits that won't apply at any reputable news station.

Advice to Management

Theres nothing I can say.

10. "Company on the Rise"

Current Employee - Reporter in Rye Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Reporter in Rye Brook, NY

I have been working at Regional News Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting changes taking place. It's great to work for a company that embraces change. Everyone works great together.

Cons

Sometimes very long hours. Communication could be better.

Advice to Management

More training and development for field staff.

"It's not a real company"

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Rye Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good. Pizza Fridays 2x month.

Cons

High turnover rate, thankless work, unengaged employees.

Advice to Management

The employees that aren't part of 'executive row' are important too.