Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Regis Corporation CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • HUGE expectation for stylist for minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

• HORRIBLE UPPER MANAGEMENT WITH THE SDL AND OUR RD EOTHER CLD CARE LESS ABOUT ALL THE COMPLAINTS OR IS AFRAID OF THE SDL FROM HELL (in 46 reviews)

"Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tips, Tips, Tips, Tips that's it, that is alllllllllll. There's not that much to say about this company but unfortunately you have to have a 20 word minimum so once again tips and that's it

Cons

Long hours, cheap pay. You have to be a receptionist and stylist for the cheap price of 1. They have the nerve to be no compete on such a low budget salary. This company is. Or set up for growth... Company has little incentives. stylist now have to pay for their own tools. Greedy corporation. Nothing will change.

Advice to Management

They make 10 cents To a few dollars more for more stress.... management has little to no pull...

"HORRIBLE"

Current Employee - Manager in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Erie, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

love the customers and also the stylists that i work with! we use the best color products in my opinion and have great products to sell for follow up care with their hair needs. The regis design line is a great line and we use and sell a lot of it as well

Cons

Absolutely horrible pay! HORRIBLE UPPER MANAGEMENT WITH THE SDL AND OUR RD EOTHER CLD CARE LESS ABOUT ALL THE COMPLAINTS OR IS AFRAID OF THE SDL FROM HELL! the benefits and or insurance is either to costly or their is nowhere in erie pa that takes or uses it! mainly the horrible pay and upper management

Advice to Management

GET A DIFFERENT UPPER MANAGEMENT TEAM ASAP! We have a new president so please reach out to the stylists/managers in our city and ask them how they feel! The managers are either wed demoting or stylists and managers are dropping like flies do to the management and their own set of rules! there needs to be a human resources dept that will handle the issues without the employee worried about retaliation from the upper management! RD seems overwhelmed

3. "You deserve better!"

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

Guaranteed clients opportunity to build clientele

Cons

Horrible pay, no schedule flexibility, authoritarian style management, no raises, extremely limited advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

You have GOT to pay your stylists and store managers better. They do the job of a stylist, a janitor, a cashier, even book keeping, and all this for around $13.00/ hr. These are professional tradespeople and should be treated as such. I left a year and a half ago, and have already doubled, yes, doubled my salary at my new salon, doing the same thing I did for Regis for 12 years.

4. "Don't make my mistake"

Former Employee - Master Stylist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Master Stylist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love my fellow stylist ( you can find that anywhere)

Cons

Empty promises about growth and money

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees to benefit the company

"Poor management"

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their is no pros at this job

Cons

This place is terrible to work for. We have so many salons near me hiring. Regis can't get anyone to work for them anymore because their a terrible company. They pay you terrible and I've been there 12 years and make the same. This place is a joke and now we hsve to buy our blow dryers, clippers and trimmers and curling irons. What a joke.

Advice to Management

I've been Roth the company 12 years and you get worse and worse. Pay tout employees. I didn't go to school to make minimum wage!!!!!

"Salon Manager"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Regis Corporation for over 10 years and although I have had great experiences working for this corporation I struggle with finding positives to boast about

Cons

Pay structure is set so the corporation makes money at the expense of stylists. Corporation floods the market with coupons to drive guests into the salon, but stylists do not reap the benefits of guest increase. Working on a matrix scale, stylists must maintain a certain production per hour. Salon can be extremely busy on weekends but slower during the week. If a stylist meets a high production on a weekend, but is met with a slow weekday, you slip back to your base rate of minimum wage. Licensed professionals making minimum wage! They will sell you on making all this money, but equate tips into that. We all know not everyone tips. Be okay with making minimum wage. Corporation will sell you on on going education, don't be fooled. That won't happen and when it does it's a year behind trend. Corporation used to provide tools (clippers, blowdryers, etc), that has been discontinued. Corporation will say tools are sold on their website at an affordable price, that too is a lie. If you work for supercuts you will be required to purchase tools to provide their technique of haircutting. You will be responsible to use your tools and charge their prices and they will make profit, not you! Salons are continually being opened with NO STAFF! People work alone for 10+ hours and they will blame you for low sales and no applicants.

Advice to Management

In order to run a business you need to have someone who understands the business and people aspect. Bad decisions are being made with too many salons being opened in close proximity to each other. Don't look at the stylists and managers, look at the person making the decision to open these salons! How can you allow districts and a territory to perform the way that it does and not look at the leader?

7. "Will never work for the Regis corporation again"

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great when you're first starting out I guess...

Cons

Awful pay and location. Competition with 9 other salons in a 2 mile radius. No chance of ever commissioning like they try to force you to do. Terrible leadership in the whole district. Nobody respects anybody and every body in the business is sneaky so don't trust a single thing. They Will screw you in every possible way

Advice to Management

Actually do your job and be a manager instead of sitting up on your throne coming to work when you very rarely please to and then do nothing to help around thensalon. Respect your employees and don't treat them as slaves. Pull your weight and be honest instead of sneaky and hiding.

8. "Analyst"

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are genuinely nice people and will go out of their way to help others or to just doing something nice for someone else. The atmosphere is unlike other places in that many times meetings are light-hearted but also address the issue at hand -- people are more open to voicing their thoughts because no one fears reprisal. They have stocked kitchens (lunch meats, cheese, bread, oatmeal, veggies, fruit, etc) for employees to eat during the day, free parking, and usually have a couple company-wide events every year.

Cons

The company is failing financially and the sense is that everyone has a slight fear that they may be laid off. Almost every week a new announcement comes out about senior management changes and departures. The executive team has changed dramatically with the Chief Marketing Officer, Chief Human Resource Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and Chief Executive Officer all departing within ONE year. The company has been plagued with poor management for years and right now the outlook is bleak. With all the departures it's becoming clear that those who can afford to leave are. Working for Regis inherently means poor job security.
    The company has already been told we will not get a bonus this year and the word has still not come out if we will even see merit increases this year -- that's how poorly the company is doing.

Compensation is low and benefits are not that good. No 401(k) match or education benefits.

Advice to Management

Isn't possible to list all the issues that management needs to solve.
    You need to get rid of the people at the top who have failed to perform -- promoting people who were part of the problem to begin with won't solve anything.

9. "Upper Managment"

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guests Stylist and managers are amazing

Cons

No leadership
    Not honest with feedback withhold and boom your fired
    A ginormous HR department, to protect their wrong doings?

Advice to Management

Honestly Accountabilty integrity Accountability...Sounds great Model It

"Salon Manager"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will always hire you if you need a job..

Cons

Low pay - pay is on a pay plan based on how busy you stay. In theory this sounds like it would be a good way to compensate someone. In reality, it does nothing but benefit the company. All of the salons owned by regis in my area are extremely slow. Your hourly wage is based off of a 15 day work period. This means you can be busy 14 of those days with a high SPH, but if you're slow on that last day you pay drops drastically - Moreno than likely back to minimum wage. Also, each brand under the corporation has a different pay plan. Wal mart salon employees make the most money.

They say you have ongoing technical training, yet our annual trainings are always canceled.

They ALWAYS discount retail and services with coupons. They use this tool to "drive traffic" into the salon. This method does work at times! The only down fall is that any discounts given come off of the stylist and not the company. This means you make less as an employee because they blast out coupons any way they can or will match a competitors price.

Outdated salons and not allowed to have anti-fatigue mats.

Salons will no longer provide styling tools

The literally hire anyone that's walks through the door because the majority of salons are short staffed. They will also always ask stylists to float between multiple salons to cover shifts.

They only care about the numbers. Combo percentage and email capture is something that is discussed every week on conference call.

They find every possible way not to pay you overtime. If you work in a mall you are required to work their hours. This means most holidays and there is no holiday pay.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. We understand this is a corporate setting, but you're the number one company in the hair industry. Treat your stylists with respect and pay us what we are worth.

It's sad that the CEO is making over 900k a year salary when most stylists are bringing home minimum wage.