Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
Cons
  • We get about 5c over minimum wage when we had to go to school and get a degree for the field (in 46 reviews)

• New upper management hired are out of (in 41 reviews)

"Pay is shameful for a skilled trade"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are in your same shoes, team work and family like.

Cons

Pay is shameful for a skilled trade and the high paced, hard work. You are not able to support yourself, you must rely on the generosity of your guest. The salons do not provide cleaning services, so you do hair, guests, retail, receptionist and clean continuously. The pay is just over (.05 cents) minimum wages. They tell you stories on how you can "make more money" and make you "Play games" with NO reward or prize, these games are useless and infantile. HUGE expectation for stylist for minimum wage. No paid sick days

Advice to Management

Give your stylist that are on the front lines a livable wage! Better benefits, paid time and half for holidays like Memorial Day and Labor Day. 3 paid sick days a year. Christmas bonus or a Christmas party. Bonuses for certain achievements.

2. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low pay no good bennifits

Cons

Get paid even if you don't do hair that day

3. "Hairstylist"

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keeps you on your toes because you never know what styles or services will request and it teaches you to be able to achieve style by looking at pictures..good benefits such as dental and retirement

Cons

Hard to Achieve goals if at a slow store or if you have slow days you have to be very competitive with your co workers. Famous hair is a good place to start at straight out of school and good for ppl that likes to add walk ins to their clientele

Advice to Management

Since famous hair is ran by corporation they can micromanage at time and it can turn off stylistbthatbate ised to their independence

5. "Guest Services Representative"

Pros

Good Benefits and good hours

Cons

no guidance on how to improve they just fire you

"Poor investments, misguided leadership"

Pros

Co-workers are awesome with great attitudes and resilient minds.
    Free food for basic lunches provided.
    Opportunity to self-teach and learn by doing.

Cons

Ridiculous workload for the amount of staffing.
    No investments made in to quality staff - they bring in unskilled cheap contractors instead of hiring competent full time employees at a decent wage.
    Management is seen as meddlesome and menacing instead of good leaders. Little to no respect is given to employees, new ideas are ignored or shot down, disagreements with management can and has lead to demotions, pay cuts, denied promotions.
    Management frequently misrepresents future improvements and opportunity to grow - they say better things are on the horizon, but only long enough to keep you working harder - then they fail to deliver.
    They expect harder work for less pay, they don't backfill vacancies and expect the remaining staff to cover the extra workload with no extra pay. There is next to no room for advancement and we make significantly less than employees in similar positions at different companies.
    Extremely high turnover from low employee satisfaction results in bigger burdens on the people who stay and even more unskilled contractors coming in.
    No investment in proper technology. Buying low cost equipment, poor quality internet connections, buggy software and entering in to contracts with vendors who have bad support and bad products had caused endless suffering the to salons and to salon support.
    Shoddy equipment fails, salons lose sales, support can't help them because of poor quality contract employees, so they just send out more inferior equipment.
    Focus is so heavily put on taking care of our salons, but only if it doesn't require spending money to provide them with better technology and support.

Advice to Management

Start actually living by the company values you wave around.
    Be HONEST with your employees, don't pretend like things will get better just to keep people from leaving. Level with them on the anticipated difficulties to come.
    Be ACCOUNTABLE for the problems your teams are facing. Your employees have no say in their futures, bad decisions made by leadership strongly affect the employees, so start recognizing the bad decisions instead of just telling the employees to work harder.
    Be INSPIRING and open to new ideas and changes. Listen to your staff because there are some talented and insightful people who are too scared to approach leadership with proposed changes for fear of angering leaders and harming their career potential.
    Be RESPECTFUL to your employees. Treat them like capable adults. Stop looking at them as seat-fillers, listen to their suggestions and please, please pay them better.

7. "District Leader"

Pros

Team leadership, company pays for your education

Cons

Consitancy of rules from all levels of employment and pay on every level of employment

8. "Salon Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jensen Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jensen Beach, FL

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with fantastic staff and fantastic clients.

Cons

Low pay, upper management (District Leaders) showed favoritism, difficult to get in contact with my boss or higher ups, felt unheard with concerns of behavior of a manager of sister salon that worked in the same Mall who bashed our salon on a regular basis and picked on my stylists consistently. The sister salon staff would repeatedly come to me complaining about how their manager would discriminate against them, embarrass them on the floor and in front of clients. This sister salon manager specifically did not like a gay man who worked under her and consistently told him that he was not allowed to speak in regards to his partner; I advised him that he was able to and gave him the number to corporate to call and report her, he was too terrified to do that because the boss had rose colored glasses on for this particular manager. Discrimination towards my appearance as I am very tall and the boss consistently made cracks about how tall I was in a derogatory manner, idol threats of getting written up when a client, who appeared intoxicated during a service, I asked client to leave, client called corporate on me. When my boss confronted me and the stylist involved, I stood by my stylist and protected her; the boss took the side of the client, threatened to write us both up, I disagreed with the situation and she advised me that I needed to be written up - never was written up ultimately. My boss asked me to buy product so that we can make our goal for the quarter, spent around 85.00 of my own personal money on product, as well as another stylist in the salon paid for product that was not needed - all to find out that it wasn't to meet our personal store GOAL for the quarter but for HER to meet her GOAL for her quarter and she turned around and received a cash bonus for meeting her goal - she ignored my concern when I told her it was against corporate policy and it was "stealing" from the company; I promptly returned the items, and had my stylist do the same. I had a long time stylist ask me to be bumped up to the next level, after an hour on the phone the boss repeatedly asked me to lie to my stylist and let her know that things were changing and that she could "possibly" get a raise in the coming months, I confronted the boss due to the fact of her history of misconceptions and lies and after an hour she finally admitted that she had no intentions giving my stylist a raise - I threatened to call and inform her boss, then she released me to allow me to give this hard working stylist a raise. I was very ill with the Influenza A, I called her the moment I was diagnosed and informed my boss through voicemail that I was highly contagious for 4 days and that I needed to not expose my large staff - she chastised me through text and called me every day, several times a day, when my staff was more than qualified to run the salon smoothly. I had a poor experience with the boss, she showed poor management skills, lied consistently, showed favoritism to my sister salon and their manager who has a history of bad behavior. I would still be a Salon Manager if it wasn't for the boss and how she treated me. I feel as if I would have been a much better District Leader for Regis Corporation.

Advice to Management

Clean house! Re-train District Leaders. Be sure they know how to train Salon Managers in paperwork and how to properly manage the managers. Do not give DL's too many salons to manage as many get lost in translation. Please start listening and responding to concerned managers, I saw MANY policies being broken for favored managers, stealing, lies and I'm very dismayed that such a large company has ZERO concern on the destruction this specific DL has caused.

"Good start, only in the beginning"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working along side with good stylists, discounts on products, great way to start a clientele if you're a new stylist, and walk-ins available.

Cons

There is a lot of cons that I can list, but the top two that needs work the most: "Training program" sucks; we don't even have one! And bad management; It's horrible working for someone who is not motivated to do hair. I've been working at a few other salons before and regis is by far the worst. Knowing myself, I LOVE doing hair; however, after working long hours here (by myself most of the time), I always ask myself, is it even worth it? Should I find a new career path? It sucks knowing that something I love doing is going to waste.

Advice to Management

All you have to do is listen to the stylists. They are the reasons why you make money. Without the stylists, you will be broke. Give out management classes to managers so they will know how to manage the salons. One of the reasons why the turnover rates are high is because of poor management. Even though the pay sucks, with a great manager, maybe stylists are willing to stay.

"stylist"

I have been working at Regis Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun enviroment and great coworkers

Cons

long hour and low pay

Advice to Management

You can afford to pay stylist more

"Managment"

Pros

Easy to move up

Cons

Not a great paying company