Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
Cons
  • We get about 5c over minimum wage when we had to go to school and get a degree for the field (in 46 reviews)

• Changes in upper management often (in 41 reviews)

"This Coropration has alot to work on."

Former Employee - Hairdresser in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Hairdresser in Bloomingdale, IL

Pros

It's a great place for someone who is in school because over all you will have plenty of time to sit in the salon to do homework. working in a regis salon overall is great place to "work"and get a pycheck without actually working.

Cons

I think the company has givin up on the lower volume stores. The store I work at had very slow traffic and it felt like the home office was just waiting for the store's lease to be up to close it. I"m not sure if its true but thats what it feels like. It seems like higher management and even the home office puts all of the energy into "dazzeling" higher volume store that are doing well but lower volume stores are left on the side of the road.

Advice to Management

Well I know Regis is going through and up-date to alot of ther stores and thats great but again i think they shoud update all the slower stores of get someone in to figure out what the problem really is. As a stylist I think they need to stop taking my tips out of my pay check!!! (yes we all know you do it!!)

"Regis? Reconsider"

Former Employee - Former Stylist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Former Stylist in Hartford, CT

Pros

This company offers convenience over a real proffessional atmosphere. It caters to the busy hurried mall shoppers that want this kind of service. Good for part- timers and for anyone just beginning their careers. Benefit packages are offered but somewhat costly by comparison to the low sliding commission offered.

Cons

This is not a company that an experienced seasomed stylist should consider. The sliding scale commission is cumbersome. Many salon managers lack training and are ill equipped to deal with employee and customer issues. Senior managers also lack good management skills and frequently employ unprincipled tactics. While occaisional "classes" are provided, videos of "Gordon the Senior Educator" are used as educational tools, but don't expect you might be in that video as very few stylists ever make it to that level.

Advice to Management

I have seen some good managers work in this company and I have seen some very bad ones too. I would say that the focus for senior managers should be conducting business ethically and proffessionally, set a better example and train salon managers to do likewise. the company has great potential for success but can be squandered making lots of small "mistakes".

"regis is too top heavy"

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Regis has it perks, free lunch, free parking, free product samples, and poduct/service discoutns. I think that the people that work there are great but I would not say so for management.

Cons

Regis does not care about development of their people. There is no career pathing and no opportunities for training. Formal reviews were not required and managers were not trained to give feedback. Managers did not set expectations and did not know how to manage people.

Advice to Management

Please develop your people, they are yearning for it. Be realistic to employees about their careers and reward them. Regis is too top heavy and needs to support the average employee. Stop rewarding only the senior management

"Health insurance is poor"

Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Edina, MN

Pros

Flexibility but like any other corporation it is clear it comes down to the bottom line.

Cons

Benefits are not very good, costly. Regis is self insured and this is expensive to the employee. If you have a cronic illness this is prob not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Re-focus on employee satisfaction.

6. "Great place years ago when I started, but it has gone bad quickly"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Norman, OK

Pros

-Mall walk-ins
    -Great hours
    -Great co-workers (besides management)
    -Weeks vacation after a year and 2 weeks after 3 years
    -They do have insurance and 401 K but it's nothing great
    -Tips are pretty good

Cons

-Terrible management- my manager was racist, very lazy and rude to most customers
    -It is near impossible to move up, but honestly management is so bad I don't think I would want to anyways
    -Pay is next to minimum wage
    -You don't get paid to do inventory, meetings, or extra classes that are "mandatory"

Advice to Management

Management needs to step up their game and not just put any warm and willing body into management positions. Those positions should be earned as well as coached the whole time while there. From my perspective it seems as though they just give it to the person who has been there the longest and is the laziest. If they would change this the company as a whole would do much better. I also hate how they don't do any sort of advertising, seriously its the only way to bring in new customers.

"No appreciation for the stylists who are the ones who actually do the work that creates the income for the corporation."

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Wichita, KS

Pros

paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing. Free Continuing education. Great place for someone just out of school to start, build up a clientelle and increase skills. Company supplies all tools except for shears. Guarenteed wage (base wage vs commission) .

Cons

Commission VS Minimum wage, however, when stylist doesn't make commission, no matter what the reasons are, they get in trouble and written up. Have to ask every client for email address and listen to majority of clients yell and complain about it and then get yelled at by Area Supervisor for not getting email addresses. Commission rates were dropped from 40/45/50 to 38/43/48 and 5% on retail. Makes it very difficult for new stylists to make commission and then they get written up for not making commission. The company is not replacing Area Supervisors who leave the company now ... leaving no chance for the advancement opportunities that were promised.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your stylists and Managers They are the ones who are out in the field doing the work. Show them respect and appreciation. Treat them better. Happy Customers do not make Happy stylists. Happy Stylists make happy customers. And your stylists are not happy. Why is that? Because you are taking away every reason for them to want to work for you and giving nothing in return. You have to give and earn respect if you want respect. Make your stylists and Managers want to work for you again. Look into "Undercover Bosses". And getting email addresses from clients ... the clients are over it. They do not want to give out email addresses anymore. You have clients who literally are telling us that they will not return to our salon anymore because we are asking for personal information. Not worth losing clientelle, in my opinion.

"Home office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

Pros

Work/life balance
    Understanding of need for days off

Cons

No opportunity for advancement in company

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to making the lives of your employees more positive, rather than the amount of money you are taking home.

9. "Great place to work for training, mentoring, and encouraging staff!"

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Benefits Package
    Company Car
    Expense Card
    International Trip Every Year

Cons

There is no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Trust your management to do the job

"Need to do more stylists!"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet alot of new people. Build good clientile.Learn more about retail.

Cons

Not appreciated for all the hard work we do. Benefits are not good. No breaks! Does not offer hair cutting classes. Base pay is AWFUL!! Going to make a deposit to bank at 9:15 at night!

Advice to Management

Treat stylist better!! Need to learn how to schedule better!

"Stylist, Management"

Current Employee - Stylist?Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Stylist?Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Build Speed with all types of hair services,(cuts,chemical services, styling), decent walk-in clientele depending on location, room to grow and learn

Cons

Immature co-workers, WEAK Regional Managers with their OWN AGENDA, low growth potential, competition for clients with other stylists, Upper management is all about THEIR bonuses and playing the blame game, constant threats that you will be "Stepped -Down" increases as bonus gets nearer to fruition...

Advice to Management

DON'T! No wins situations, RIDICULOUS low pay as a manager, too much is asked, maintain your own clientele, babysit stylists, get no support, multitask while doing everything else in store with constant interruptions