Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Regis Corporation CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer

Pros
Cons
  • The only con I constantly hear from my teams is the base pay (minimum wage) and how difficult it is to slide on the sliding pay scale (in 48 reviews)

• New upper management hired are out of (in 42 reviews)

"Regis: Hate It Or Love It"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Free lunch, products and services discounts. Very flexible with schedule. The parties are awesome.

Cons

Bad management, poor decisions making. No sick days. High turnover rate, there's got to be a reason why.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, recognize the good workers

"ok place to work not great pay"

Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Berkley, MI
    Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Berkley, MI

Pros

A lot of salons base their pay on comission but Regis gives you an hourly rate plus tips so at least you have the security knowing you will get a paycheck even if you didn't do well in tips that day.

Cons

Not very well paid, the job can be monotonious doing a lot of mens haircuts

Advice to Management

We should get better pay and you should offer better benefits

"Feast or Famine!"

Former Employee - Stylist in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Allentown, PA

Pros

The best reason to work for Holiday is if you're fresh out of beauty school and need to get some experience under your belt. If it's a fairly busy shop, the volume of customers will help you learn to be quicker and hopefully better your skills.

Cons

The hours stink. Because most locations are in a mall, you're working retail hours. I had no home life when I worked there... the shop was 45 minutes from my house and I wasn't getting home until after 9:00 PM. And good luck taking a lunch break unless the shop is empty. There's nothing worse than having customers give you the evil eye as you walk out to get a quick bite. They don't know or care that you've already been there for 6 hours and are starving!

The pay scale is dreadful unless the shop is busy and/or you already have a dedicated clientele. You must bring in 2.5 times your hourly wage per week in order to make 40% commission. BUT the kicker is you don't make 40% on the whole. You only make 40% of the difference, which they just tack on to your hourly wage, which is only $7.15 as of 12/31/08. To illustrate: if you work 32 hours a week at $7.15 per hour, your wage is $228.80. To make any commission, you must make service sales of AT LEAST 572.00 that week. (Which breaks down to $17.88 per hour.) Say you made service sales of $600.00 for that week. You'd get 40% of $28.00. A whopping $16.80.

Because their services are relatively inexpensive in comparison to appointment only salons, be prepared for lousy tips unless you have regular customers who appreciate your work. I'm a very good stylist, and I've had women not tip me after having been in my chair for 2 hours with a spiral perm, which happened to be on sale that month. You will also get slammed with Holiday's reputation for hiring stylists with no experience. Regardless of how good you are, everyone will give you a story about how someone from Holiday butchered their daughter's/neighbor's/classmate's hair. The stigma is definitely there, but since most people are too impatient to make an appointment elsewhere, they keep coming back.

And our district manager was a control freak. She made us track our weekly progress by doing calculations based on at least 3 different computer reports. She also made us HAND ADDRESS large stacks of coupon postcards, which we sent to random people out of the phone book. Most of them came back as undeliverable, and we had to take time out from our work to do it. When you're hourly plus commission, that's really an insult. She also came in to supervise our delivery of inventory, which is very simple and very routine. By doing so, we felt that she didn't trust us and/or didn't feel we were capable of completing such a simple task.

Advice to Management

We're hairdressers, not book keepers. The computer tracks each and every sale from each and every stylist, so if you need to constantly monitor our progress, get your figures there. We're too busy busting our butts.

"Corporate Very Out of Touch with the Salons"

Current Employee - Master Stylist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Master Stylist in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

They offer health benefits, which is hard to find in this field. They also offer up to 50% commission which is fairly competetive. They pay tips out the same day they are earned.

Cons

Even being in the Minneapolis market, corporate is very out of touch with what is happening in their salons. Getting promoted is a joke and based on the honor system-whatever the stylist enters in the computer determines their commission level and theres no way to verify if the stylist is honest. So it's very frustrating for those who ARE honest and hardworking to watch others pass them by dishonestly. The extra education is very limited and disorganized at best. Class descriptions are vague and half the time you sit through a class you've already attended. We also don't get paid for classes.

Advice to Management

Make sure you District Managers are actually present in the salons and helping the Salon Managers to make improvements. On several occassions our manager has been in a position where she felt inadequately supported by upper management yet there is no one to listen to her frustrations.

6. "Cosmetologist"

Current Employee - Manager in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Marion, IL

Pros

Steady paycheck. Commission. Monthly bonuses if you hit your goals, and 1 annual bonus.

Cons

pays min. wage. don't always get a supportive supervisor. work on Sundays.

Advice to Management

Talk to managers about how they feel about their supervisor's job.

7. "Very flexible with work hours, and family firendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The company has flexible work hours, which makes it nice if you a family with children that require you to be out of the office frequently.

Cons

The flexibility in the work schedule comes at the cost of lower pay, especially compared to comperable jobs in the region.

Advice to Management

Base hiring and promotion decisions on who is the most qualified or who has the best chance to provide the company with the most benefit.

8. "its all about qty"

Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber
    Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber

Pros

great for a person fresh out of school

Cons

no set shifts too many stylist at work at the same time hard to make money when buisness slow

Advice to Management

there are great employees that work hard and need too be more than just a stylist that need too move up the ladder with the company

"hectic"

Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Miami, FL

Pros

the compensation, prize, events, and promotions.a very generous employee discount. it is a work place where you will meet various amounts of people thoughout the day.

Cons

work schedules are hectic. sometimes two styists are available for the rest of the night meanwhile, the is a wait of 14 individuals.

Advice to Management

my advice to the mangement would be to put themselves in a stylist shoes, and compare the amount of responsibilities we have now versus what they had then.

"Cheap Chop Shop"

Former Employee - Stylist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Stylist in Columbus, OH

Pros

Easy to get hired and stay on. Depending on location steady business. Provides all product and most tools. Salon management is usually lax. Nice dress code

Cons

Minimum wage with no raises. The commision is a joke its so complex and unrealistic to acheave pass level two. Upper management is only concerned with customer count and not quality work. Crazy coupons and specials that you have take (ex. 5.99 haircuts) which do effect how you make commission. If you get slow you automatically told to go home or told to come in later so they can be even for hours and patrons. Not able to make appointments which really sucks if you are trying to build a clientele.

Advice to Management

Pay your stylist a decent wage and they might stick around. Allow people to make appointments.

11. "Successful"

Current Employee - Replenishment and Allocation Coordinator in Lorain, OH
    Current Employee - Replenishment and Allocation Coordinator in Lorain, OH

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Keeps customer service skills sharpened and making clients look and feel their best fulfilling

Cons

Long hours can get tedious

Advice to Management

Please give more acknowledgment to your staff for their fine efforts