Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Regis Corporation CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • HUGE expectation for stylist for minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

• HORRIBLE UPPER MANAGEMENT WITH THE SDL AND OUR RD EOTHER CLD CARE LESS ABOUT ALL THE COMPLAINTS OR IS AFRAID OF THE SDL FROM HELL (in 47 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you follow the hair values and the coaching given. You can grow your paycheck. I love the team I work with. Everyone is encouraging and cheers each other to grow and build.

Cons

The only downside is. When it isn't busy.

Advice to Management

Encourage and praise your staff. Get your team excited.

2. "Stylist"

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

Products provided by the company.

Cons

No incentives that offer better career opportunities. The pay scale can be improved.

Advice to Management

Try to offer incentives to keep the more qualified employees.

3. "Salon chain"

Current Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist
    Current Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

easy to get a job if you're fresh out of school

Cons

Bad management, problems are rarely addressed

4. "Salon Support"

Current Employee - Specialist/Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Specialist/Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch. On-site clinic and fitness classes. Fun perks like food truck days. Casual dress. Good PTO plan. Work-life balance is encouraged.

Cons

Anyone who says culture is created from the bottom up only needs to see what has happened to Regis in 2017. A company that was once fun to work for, where people came to work because they wanted to (and certainly not because they were paid well...they weren't) has become a company where everyone is terrified of their executive leadership and still not paid well.

How many companies do you know where a CEO stands on stage the day after firing two VP's and brags about firing them and how tough he is? That's the new Regis!

I have no doubt that Hugh Sawyer will turn the company around. It's his specialty. I also love his straightforward, laser-focused approach. What I don't like is that his subordinates seem afraid to do anything for fear of being yelled at, and that their subordinates seem even more afraid, for fear of being fired. A culture of fear is the worst possible kind of culture.

As an outside-the-box thinker who enjoys presenting ideas and challenging the status quo, I used to love working for Regis. That was the kind of company we were. I think that Hugh is definitely the kind of executive who welcomes that sort of thing, but his VPs and directors don't get that for some reason (being that us plebs aren't in on their executive meetings, we probably miss all the really scary stuff that happens at the top). So our voices are stifled. We're expected to just keep our noses down and our mouths shut. And that's no way to run a company.

Advice to Management

Bring the light. Tamp down the heat. Stop scaring your employees into doing thy bidding; use persuasion instead. Oh, and for crying out loud, pay us what we're worth or we're going to keep leaving.

"Ugh this company"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good stylist to work with. Good practice if your just learning or wanting to try different areas of your skills.

Cons

The pay I'm sorry but I didn't go to school that costs 5 grand and up to make 7.25 I can't feed myself and pay bills on that I'm sorry but walmart employees make more that! Hours suck 9 to 8 if u want any money I best believe your butt is gunna b here thos hours Monday threw sunday.

Advice to Management

Pay us more we are worth it!

6. "Life @ Regis"

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company, long history in the industry

Cons

New CEO is dismantling the company - horrible culture

7. "A company who Only employs dismantled minded individuals"

Former Employee - Stylist in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regis Salons provides walk-in services. This not only allows stylists to gain clientel and performance momentum, but this service also helps salons like Regis Smart Styles to promote consecutive revenue.

Cons

All levels of management that I encountered within the region I was employed have no sense of responsibilty, are not professional, non caring, dishonest, lazy, hostile, and do not perform their duties as management what so ever.
    Thus making it impossible to attain good employees and clients and placing bad burdens on the company.

Advice to Management

If you do not impose the qualities of a good natured human being, then this is not the position that you can fulfill.
    I was treated horribly by all management starting my first day. Then retaliated against for reporting my concerns and speaking up for myself to include terminating me. This is not managing. It is risking the company's reputation, business and marketing endeavors, and cummulative revenue that this company owners have strived to build for years.
    This is also illegal and discriminating.
    Good Luck and God Bless All.

"Salon manger"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in McDonough, GA

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The location they were in and insurance

Cons

I was bought out by Regis 7 years ago from hair Cuttery that I had been with since 1992 and it has been the worst year of my 25 years. They under pay and micromanage is the worst they want want want and could care less about any of the stylist that are making there money for them behind the chair. They change rules management and higher almost every other year. They have cut almost all befits for working for little pay like supplies and suckers (a bag of dumb dumbs really).

Advice to Management

Take care of the ones behind the chair and make them your number one customer and maybe you could get people who would want to come work there and would do everything in their power to make it a great shop. To back for my former shop that they told y’all if I left they all would go to.

9. "Slavery"

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting Great friends clients. Most opportunities vary, depending on location and corp. Leaders. Loved our individual artistic director. When we still had them.

Cons

Don't pay enough for the amount of work that's delegated to stylists managers or even receptionist. Hard to retain employees. Turnover rates suck. Corp. Leaders do not visit salons or communicate with employees.
    Left to fen for yourself. No recognition. Corp leaders change too often. Too much paperwork and no time for it.
    Office hrs do not pay your commission.
    Worry more about customer satisfaction!!

Advice to Management

Expectations are too much. Corp. pays close to crumbs. While they paper push behind a desk. All of our hard work pays corp people. We have families too! Get involved with salons.

10. "Watch out for the "We've always done it that way" people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New leadership seems to have a clue but people need to get on board with the new vision. Pay was decent.

Cons

"old folks" don't like change, hard to make improvements and streamline process when people don't like taking on work that actually falls within their job description, found some people working there who had been there decades were hostile, closed minded, not open to change or making things better. over worked with no light at the end of the tunnel but there are a lot of people walking around that are literally not doing a single thing except for looking like they are working. Benefits are terrible and expensive

Advice to Management

Sounds like you are already cleaning house which is probably for the best. A lot of the employees I worked with were so old school and were resistant to change - get the negative nellys out of there because they are bringing down the other people that really want to work and see progressive change.