Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
Cons
  • We get about 5c over minimum wage when we had to go to school and get a degree for the field (in 46 reviews)

• New upper management hired are out of (in 41 reviews)

1. "Don't waste your time with Regis."

Former Employee - Salon Leader
    Former Employee - Salon Leader

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dying malls, Low traffic but walk-in customers were very nice.

Cons

As a Salon Leader, you will be little more than a very poorly paid ($10 an hour) baby-sitter unless you bring your own very strong clientele. If you bring your clientele you risk losing some because of poor staff attitudes. There is no support to get rid of uncoachable/untrainable poor performers or staff with bad attitudes. Many staff only want to make their hourly wages and tips because if they make too much money they won't continue to get government welfare. They have no interest in really building their business which means salon leaders don't bonus. The insurance benefits they offer are greatly overstated and I had nothing but trouble with their insurance/benefits department. They were unresponsive and couldn't seem to be able to process basic paperwork. Mid-level management is a joke. They have no original ideas, waste your time and are very happy to stay where they are for years. They tend to be stale, boring and never cut it themselves in the real world. Salons are staffed with those just out of school or those who can't make it in a private salon because of their work quality and are totally dependent upon walk-ins. Same with other Salon Leaders. They are stale and overworked but content to stay in their positions for years. The salons are old, equipment is old/poor condition and they are located in dying malls. My experience with them was bait and switch. Nothing was as promised. In my own marketing research; I found that because they have done such a poor job of being relevant; the average millennial age prospective customer doesn't know who Regis is. Their salon fronts look like at best; a low quality beauty supply. If you want to make $10 an hour with no support in an extremely unprofessional setting; Regis is where you belong. Do your homework about your location before applying.

Advice to Management

Completely restructure middle management. Tie their pay completely to the success of their salons and Salon Leader Peer Reviews. Empower Salon Leaders to get rid of dead weight and increase pay scale to attract real talent. Millenials don't know Regis is a salon. They think you are a Beauty Supply store because that's all that's visible. Your marketing is ineffective and dated as are your expectations. Billing yourself as having a premium quality experience is a joke. Only the mediocre need apply.

2. "There are better places to work"

Former Employee - Salon Leader in Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Salon Leader in Athens, OH

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some great stylists

Cons

Regis only cares about what the reports say. If you are in the green with sales. I put 5 years of my heart and soul into my salon and was ranked #1 many times as a stylist and asee a salon. They forced me out on purpose. They needed to put blame somewhere for the district being down in sales. I was the blame. But I wasn't the only store down

3. "Wrong Direction"

Pros

The salong teams. What's left of them.They are a creative family.

Cons

Getting away from beauty and going towards suits which makes employees and guests just a number. Loosing, staff left and right, salons are not open properly because of it. Going in the wrong direction all together. New upper management hired are out of.their league in this industry

Advice to Management

People work for people not companies

5. "Salon Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High walk in volume, company provides all tools and products.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about the stylist, only themselves. The company says they have education all the time but the educator for our district was spread across a wide area and could only do classes in our district MAYBE 1 time a month. i worked with regis since 2010 starting as a stylist then to manager. i made $7.25 the day i started and $8.25 my last day. Your DL will tell you that you can make commission by doing add ons and upselling product. But i busted my tail everday and only made $10 on my best 2 weeks. and that only happened 1-3 times. my last 2 weeks with regis i did $3500 in service sales and my paycheck was a tad over $700. If they pay like any normal salon (atleast 40%) i shouldve made $1100+. DO NOT waste your time with this company!

Advice to Management

Hire more educators. Pay your employees more than minimum wage. Treat your employees like you say you do.

6. "Don't pay much hard to survived"

Pros

If you don't have2 another option

Cons

Coworkers are awesome

Advice to Management

Pay more to there employees

"Stay as far away as possible"

Former Employee - District Leader
    Former Employee - District Leader

I worked at Regis Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Walk in traffic, cheap tools

Cons

This company does not care about its people. The field staff is overly paid and doesn't support their salons. Some of them work at private salons in Regis dime. While the salons are constantly short staffed. Stylist and managers are over worked and under paid. Good peoples are driven off so it's a constant revolving door. Turn over is the highest in the industry for a reason.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the RD position it's a wast of money that could be used to pay your quality employees more money. During the reorganization good people were let go because they were non technical NOW Regis is going back to non technical supervisors. Selling and closing stores to make the bottom line look good instead of investing in the business by updating salons with fresh paint. So sad to see how far down Regis has gone in the past 3 years. It used to be a first choice company now its the bottom of the barrel

"Manager"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Topeka, KS

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to move up in the company because the turnover rate is out of this world

Cons

as a manager you will work a lot. The pay is terrible!!!! NO time for family while I worked here

Advice to Management

Better pay

"Horrible Business Model. ZERO Concern for employees"

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time

Pros

I'm hard pressed to find any.

Cons

Work your butt off for a horrible sliding scale which amounts to making barely more than minimum wage. Have the corporation feel so little loyalty that they only give four days notice upon closing a location. A location they were still adding staff to up to a week before this news was conveyed. Then get screwed out of a staying bonus, b/c no one in HR or Payroll knows what they're doing.

Advice to Management

COMPLETE OVERHAUL!

"Worst"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast pace environment with a good variety of clientele.

Cons

After 13 years I make the same as an apprentice (which I am expected to train) , no increase in vacation time, work EVERY weekend, lots of evenings. When they say flexible hours they mean YOU must be flexible, when they say commision they mean if you work your butt off you may get a commision of 10-20 cents an hour. When they are short staffed you are expected to work the extra time. FYI...we are always short staffed as no one wants to work here or stay. We had a shop near us that ran for 3 months with ONE staff member. But if you are really good your DL will tell you that they "appreciate you"....cause we all know that pays the bills right. We are forced to keep staff that aren't doing their job because it can take a year to replace them. This makes it hard on those of us that really do a great job.

Advice to Management

Make the commision achievable and worth it. It hasn't gone up in years.....hello...inflation. Increase our vacation with years of service. Give us a reason to stay and you may have a staff that doesn't butcher hair. We are the product you are selling ! Take care of us and most of us will bend over backwards for you.

11. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love our manager and coworkers...
    I have been here 10 years and have a large customer base thanks to MY hard work. They did nothing to help promote the salon. My boss is very flexible on my schedule.

Cons

Pay scale sucks.
    They demand so much and give nothing.
    We were a previous salon and bought out by them. It took 8 years and us telling them we would do the work to finally paint the salon. They kept saying if we hit all our goals this month they would.... For 6 months. Finally enough customers complained about the color stains and ripped chairs before they did anything. Why should we convince YOU to invest in YOUR business.

Advice to Management

Raise pay scale and quit demanding us to be open on holidays. I mean do you work on holidays?!