Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Regis Corporation CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • HUGE expectation for stylist for minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

• upper management is the worse team i (in 49 reviews)

1. "No work/life balance"

Former Employee - Corporate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice staff. Challenging work. Culture is great!

Cons

No work life balance. Working 80 hours per week....to do what the CEO wants.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance. You burn them out too fast and then they leave.

2. "Hang on Tight!"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had great direct leadership which has taught me so much!

Cons

There is constant transition, realignments and lay offs. With this means, no raises.

Advice to Management

To retain staff - find a way to praise them if there is no opportunity to compensate them. Also, don't get ahead of the game and give promises that you will have to take back from all salons.

3. "A good first job"

Current Employee - Master Stylist in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Master Stylist in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible
    Plenty of product
    Room to learn
    Good building blocks to grow your business
    Good product lines and plenty of supplies

Cons

Slow
    Hard to commission
    Low pay
    Hard to build your business in a slow location
    Lack of clients and walk ins

Advice to Management

Take care of stylists to increase motivation for better productivity

"Cautiously optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Complimentary lunch, flexible hours, on-site fitness classes (for a small fee).

Cons

The company is in "turn-around" mode, so overall morale could be better. Employees tend to be cautiously optimistic.

5. "Some good some bad"

Former Employee - Regional Art Director
    Former Employee - Regional Art Director

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were fantastic, as well as stock options. The people can make or break the experience but I was fortunate to work with great stylists

Cons

Everything is VERY by the rules. Time off is hard to get. Pay structure makes it challenging to have a good pay check

Advice to Management

Get more advanced with your scheduling.

"Salon Support"

Current Employee - Specialist/Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Specialist/Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch. On-site clinic and fitness classes. Fun perks like food truck days. Casual dress. Good PTO plan. Work-life balance is encouraged.

Cons

Anyone who says culture is created from the bottom up only needs to see what has happened to Regis in 2017. A company that was once fun to work for, where people came to work because they wanted to (and certainly not because they were paid well...they weren't) has become a company where everyone is terrified of their executive leadership and still not paid well.

How many companies do you know where a CEO stands on stage the day after firing two VP's and brags about firing them and how tough he is? That's the new Regis!

I have no doubt that Hugh Sawyer will turn the company around. It's his specialty. I also love his straightforward, laser-focused approach. What I don't like is that his subordinates seem afraid to do anything for fear of being yelled at, and that their subordinates seem even more afraid, for fear of being fired. A culture of fear is the worst possible kind of culture.

As an outside-the-box thinker who enjoys presenting ideas and challenging the status quo, I used to love working for Regis. That was the kind of company we were. I think that Hugh is definitely the kind of executive who welcomes that sort of thing, but his VPs and directors don't get that for some reason (being that us plebs aren't in on their executive meetings, we probably miss all the really scary stuff that happens at the top). So our voices are stifled. We're expected to just keep our noses down and our mouths shut. And that's no way to run a company.

Advice to Management

Bring the light. Tamp down the heat. Stop scaring your employees into doing thy bidding; use persuasion instead. Oh, and for crying out loud, pay us what we're worth or we're going to keep leaving.

"HairStylist"

Former Employee - Hairstylist in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Hairstylist in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Alot of walkins. Discounts on shampoos. Good hours to work. Close to the house.

Cons

Before I quit buisness slowed and they closed salon.

Advice to Management

Advertise more to keep salon busy with more walk ins.

"My personal experience was great for building my clientele in order to be able to move on to commision only!"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Celina, OH
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Celina, OH

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for someone just starting out in the hair bizz or getting back in it again to build their clientele! Also great learning experience every stylist to keep them from falling into "bad" habits AS much as they would going to a private salon or booth rent. Also, you never work for free while your trying to build your clientele...so bonus there! Lol Its a place you have to work at to understand and take the good with bad. Its different for everyone.

Cons

Cooperate rules and guidelines can be a bit to much sometimes. Sometimes it seems like being a corporation, it tends to give you the "it sounds good on paper but doesnt seem realistic when your the one applying it" kind of feeling at times. Management and district leaders seem to change too frequently and things can spiral down with inconsistancy from there. Its hard to keep good help in corpate atmospheres because of the "stigma" and pay. Most move on quickly. Very few stay for the "long haul". So it does get hard to deal with the inconsistencies.

Advice to Management

Compensate the managers and district leaders well and take care of them so they want to be there more and stick around longer. That would cut down on turnover rate and valuable employees might stick around longer. Review district leaders a little more in depth. People look can look good on paper but that doesn't mean theyll be good at the job. Also- stylists are worth a little more than what corporations, not just regis, offers. We went to school, have student loans to pay and that's why the really valuable employees eventually look elsewhere. We need to feel valued more.

"Stylist"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be flexible with you schedule. Depends on the manager.

Cons

No real benefits. They are unaffordable to regular stylist. Company is more concern with meeting their goals than with real customer service. You have to play the system if you do not want to become cutting robot.

Advice to Management

Let your people to create and stop punishing them. Respect the force you have. Give them health insurance.

10. "Operations Manager"

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

Good balance of work and family life

Cons

No 401K match and insurance is too high.