Regis Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated February 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • We get about 5c over minimum wage when we had to go to school and get a degree for the field (in 46 reviews)

• Changes in upper management often (in 41 reviews)

1. "a great place to work"

Pros

free lunch and paid lunch/breaks

Cons

warehouse work and its hot

2. "Salon Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jensen Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jensen Beach, FL

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with fantastic staff and fantastic clients.

Cons

Low pay, upper management (District Leaders) showed favoritism, difficult to get in contact with my boss or higher ups, felt unheard with concerns of behavior of a manager of sister salon that worked in the same Mall who bashed our salon on a regular basis and picked on my stylists consistently. The sister salon staff would repeatedly come to me complaining about how their manager would discriminate against them, embarrass them on the floor and in front of clients. This sister salon manager specifically did not like a gay man who worked under her and consistently told him that he was not allowed to speak in regards to his partner; I advised him that he was able to and gave him the number to corporate to call and report her, he was too terrified to do that because the boss had rose colored glasses on for this particular manager. Discrimination towards my appearance as I am very tall and the boss consistently made cracks about how tall I was in a derogatory manner, idol threats of getting written up when a client, who appeared intoxicated during a service, I asked client to leave, client called corporate on me. When my boss confronted me and the stylist involved, I stood by my stylist and protected her; the boss took the side of the client, threatened to write us both up, I disagreed with the situation and she advised me that I needed to be written up - never was written up ultimately. My boss asked me to buy product so that we can make our goal for the quarter, spent around 85.00 of my own personal money on product, as well as another stylist in the salon paid for product that was not needed - all to find out that it wasn't to meet our personal store GOAL for the quarter but for HER to meet her GOAL for her quarter and she turned around and received a cash bonus for meeting her goal - she ignored my concern when I told her it was against corporate policy and it was "stealing" from the company; I promptly returned the items, and had my stylist do the same. I had a long time stylist ask me to be bumped up to the next level, after an hour on the phone the boss repeatedly asked me to lie to my stylist and let her know that things were changing and that she could "possibly" get a raise in the coming months, I confronted the boss due to the fact of her history of misconceptions and lies and after an hour she finally admitted that she had no intentions giving my stylist a raise - I threatened to call and inform her boss, then she released me to allow me to give this hard working stylist a raise. I was very ill with the Influenza A, I called her the moment I was diagnosed and informed my boss through voicemail that I was highly contagious for 4 days and that I needed to not expose my large staff - she chastised me through text and called me every day, several times a day, when my staff was more than qualified to run the salon smoothly. I had a poor experience with the boss, she showed poor management skills, lied consistently, showed favoritism to my sister salon and their manager who has a history of bad behavior. I would still be a Salon Manager if it wasn't for the boss and how she treated me. I feel as if I would have been a much better District Leader for Regis Corporation.

Advice to Management

Clean house! Re-train District Leaders. Be sure they know how to train Salon Managers in paperwork and how to properly manage the managers. Do not give DL's too many salons to manage as many get lost in translation. Please start listening and responding to concerned managers, I saw MANY policies being broken for favored managers, stealing, lies and I'm very dismayed that such a large company has ZERO concern on the destruction this specific DL has caused.

3. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love our manager and coworkers...
    I have been here 10 years and have a large customer base thanks to MY hard work. They did nothing to help promote the salon. My boss is very flexible on my schedule.

Cons

Pay scale sucks.
    They demand so much and give nothing.
    We were a previous salon and bought out by them. It took 8 years and us telling them we would do the work to finally paint the salon. They kept saying if we hit all our goals this month they would.... For 6 months. Finally enough customers complained about the color stains and ripped chairs before they did anything. Why should we convince YOU to invest in YOUR business.

Advice to Management

Raise pay scale and quit demanding us to be open on holidays. I mean do you work on holidays?!

"Review"

Current Employee - Stylist in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Stylist in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their is no pros working for this company

Cons

Their open 7 days a week. The pay is terrible. Now their open on. All holidays. They treat their employees like crap.

Advice to Management

You need to pay better so you keep employees and not be open so much. We have kids and family's and we want a life. I cry everyday I have to go to work

"Regis is innovative, forward thinking and stylists and guest centered."

Current Employee - Senior District Leader in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Senior District Leader in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Global leader in salon industry. HAIR values of Honesty, Accountability, Inspiration and Respect. Strong focus on building relationships and professional development.

Cons

Fast Paced work environment ever evolving and changing. Need an extra day in the week to accomplish everything. I need 30 hour days and 8 day weeks

Advice to Management

Thank you for the emotional intelligence session. EQ is the backbone of our industry. Making people look feel beautiful.

"It's a job"

Pros

Regis can be a good company to work for depending on who your district leader and regional managers are.They offer benefits and 401k.Overall the company has good intentions.

Cons

They are obsessed with controlling payroll and take hours away from employees to where its an unlivable wage. Then when the employees need to get a second job they don't want to work around their schedules. They don't advertise at all then blame the employees for the store not being busy. They never give raises even when employees have been there for 10 years.

Advice to Management

People are more important than numbers. If you have happy employees the numbers will follow.

"Good start, only in the beginning"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working along side with good stylists, discounts on products, great way to start a clientele if you're a new stylist, and walk-ins available.

Cons

There is a lot of cons that I can list, but the top two that needs work the most: "Training program" sucks; we don't even have one! And bad management; It's horrible working for someone who is not motivated to do hair. I've been working at a few other salons before and regis is by far the worst. Knowing myself, I LOVE doing hair; however, after working long hours here (by myself most of the time), I always ask myself, is it even worth it? Should I find a new career path? It sucks knowing that something I love doing is going to waste.

Advice to Management

All you have to do is listen to the stylists. They are the reasons why you make money. Without the stylists, you will be broke. Give out management classes to managers so they will know how to manage the salons. One of the reasons why the turnover rates are high is because of poor management. Even though the pay sucks, with a great manager, maybe stylists are willing to stay.

"Manager absent"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Time of when needed
    401k
    Health ins ( pricey)

Cons

Health ins is extensive and minimal
    They hire to many inexperienced stylists at once
    Management not accountable
    Pay isn't consistent

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on new stylists, and consider the insight of your experienced stylists more

"stylist"

I have been working at Regis Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun enviroment and great coworkers

Cons

long hour and low pay

Advice to Management

You can afford to pay stylist more

"Artistic Consultant"

Pros

Company car and team environment. Really encouraged teamwork.

Cons

Salary was not online with the amount of work hours