Register Tapes Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Doug Endsley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility is nice that you can work from home on the phone or you can work out in the field (in 6 reviews)

• You learn a tonne about a lot of different businesses/models and get to pick the brains of some really interesting business owners and learn from them (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They churn through sales reps like there's no tomorrow (in 7 reviews)

• As far as employees go at corporate office (in 6 reviews)

1. "Earn what you put in to it"

I have been working at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to be your own boss. The product is excellent.

Cons

Commission only but again, you earn good money if you work for it.

Aug 6, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

Your honest feedback is appreciated!

2. "Accounting"

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time

Pros

Great Please to work while I was there.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

Jul 25, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

RTUI appreciates your feedback!

3. "Sales rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can be your own boss

Cons

Very little help. Management was chaotic

Aug 6, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

I'm sorry to hear that you feel the workplace was chaotic and unsupported. Would you be willing to reach out to me at anna.ruby@rtui.com to give more detailed feedback about how this might be... More

4. "RTUI honest review"

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, balance of life/career very flexible schedule

Cons

You need to be related to someone in the corporate office to be able to grow within the company. Starting salary or hourly pay is low. High turn-over with new recruits.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Your good employees are rapidly leaving the company because they feel they are being under-appreciated and exploited to do extra work.

5. "Watch your back"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leverage of grocery stores you work with

Cons

Should you leave the company for any reason, RTUI corporate will not pay you commissions owed from contracts in place/already on the books. In addition, they will also take your renewals over - thus no annuity revenue for the agent. Also, asked their independent agents to do more regarding store audits/checks without any compensation.

Advice to Management

Don't screw around with your reps commissions

Aug 7, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

I'm sorry to hear that you have had an unpleasant experience with RTUI. We work hard to ensure that payments are timely and correct, however our IC agreement clearly states commissions are only paid... More

6. "House of Cards"

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time

Pros

There is no upside to this entire organization unless you are a Kiss Butt, Liar and thief and join the inner sanctum.

Cons

Have you ever seen the TV show House of Cards? Watch it and it will give you a clue as to what to expect. I worked there a long time in many different roles and you can take what I say to the bank.
    You see a lot of reviews. If they are 5 stars..its bogus. For every bad review that is legit, they make employees write good ones to compensate. I have read all of them and the 1 and 2 stars are the accurate ones.
    if you go with 1099 sales....YOU WILL HAVE MONEY TAKEN FROM YOU...ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME. They will try to treat you like a W-2 employee if you let them. RTUI has been sued so many times its not funny. BTW, They lose these suits and sweep them under the rug. Google it and you will see. They do not care about you. Period.
    As far as employees go at corporate office.....If you can get in the inner circle you might be ok. If not, which most are not, you get paid peanuts and they will make you do 3 and 4 hats. They will put as much on you as you will allow until you snap.
    They are hypocrites, liars and thieves. Awhile back they wanted to instill a new drug policy. Pee test before employment and RANDOM DRUG TESTING. All this is normal you say....well get this...They have 2 buildings. A plant and a corp office. When they wanted to put a mandate on random testing in both buildings, so many folks were going to walk out because lots of them do drugs. What was their solution? Ok...you have to test if you are a new employee but if you already work there...NO RANDOM TESTING! No random testing to protect the folks at the Corp office but full random testing at the warehouse/plant. Seem unfair? It is. But they did it to protect the inner circle that smokes dope. IT GOES FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. Listen, I could write a book about all of it but here is the bottom line......Stay away unless you want to work in a HOUSE OF CARDS.

Advice to Management

Sell it or Close it and retire with your Golden parachute

Jul 25, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

I am sorry to hear you had a negative experience with RTUI, and ensure that there are strict policies in place to address issues such as drug use. Your honest feedback is appreciated and will be... More

7. "Would NOT recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time

Pros

its a very casual atmosphere.

Cons

This was by far the worst place I have ever worked. Its drama filled, inappropriate, everyone is friends and family and rarely anyone gets a job by their work ethic or experience. There is too many secrets and gossiping between managers and employees. Its a corporate office and there is going to be drama, but this place takes the cake. Its almost too casual sometimes that guidelines should be enforced. No room to move up unless your family or know someone.

Advice to Management

actually pay attention to who your making managers or supervisors. Stop trying to be best friends with your staff. Actually Promote because of hard work.

Jul 25, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

We appreciate your honest review of RTUI and apologize that your time as an employee for our company was a negative one. If you would like to discuss these issues in more detail, please reach out to... More

8. "Don't work here!!"

Pros

Cannot think of any...none maybe the weekly conference calls, residual income if you stay past six months. Meeting business owners!

Cons

The areas are not protected, the manager is a convicted sex offender, they give u 2 pay plan options, full up front or 1/2 now 1/2 in 6mos, but automatically place new hires on the 2nd plan then when you are starving to the point of leaving, they keep ur 2nd 6mos of commissions,
    Which is illegal!!!
    Daily calls from manager, Micromanaged even though it is a 1099 commission only position, no training. Commission is awful, cost of the advertising is astronomical and detrimental to small business owners.

Advice to Management

Do background checks on ur mgrs!!!

Jul 25, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a negative experience with RTUI. Would you be willing to reach out to me at anna.ruby@rtui.com to discuss these issues in more detail?

"It's a good place to work. Owner and family are very down to earth. Commission only sales and that will never change."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, fast-paced environment. Can make some very good money, if you're willing to work 50+ hours per week.

Cons

Commission only and management will throw as many hats on to you as they can, without ever having to give a raise.

Mar 20, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

We appreciate your feedback of RTUI and are always open to hearing more about your experience. Feel free to reach out to me at anna.ruby@rtui.com if you would like to give a more detailed review.

10. "Daunting work but not hard."

I have been working at Register Tapes Unlimited full-time

Pros

Commission, relaxing schedule, easy environment, and good bosses.

Cons

Daunting, mind-numbing work, and saturated.

Advice to Management

Na

Feb 20, 2017 – Marketing Analyst

We're happy to see that your experience with RTUI has been positive! If you'd like to give any more feedback on how we can improve, please feel free to email me at anna.ruby@rtui.com.