RehabCare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short
John H. Short

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule with leaving for appointments during the day (in 20 reviews)

• Flexibility with schedule, great co-workers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It seems that the quality of patient care has been cast aside (in 27 reviews)

• Little help from upper management with unrealistic standards and no way to meet such standards (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

Pros

Friendly staff, very flexible with scheduling , lots of hours

Cons

There were not any cons

Feb 2, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

We’re glad you have had a great experience working at Kindred! Every single member of our team contributes to the successes of our patients and their families.

2. "High Productivity Gives Me the Blues..."

I worked at RehabCare (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow therapists and support staff created a positive work environment.

Cons

Productivity expectation for therapists was unrealistic and stressful.

Feb 16, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Would you be willing to share more about your experience? It will only take two minutes, but the impact of sharing your successes... More

3. "Wellness Coordinator, full time Beneficial compensation/PTO/benefit package but no room for growth"

Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I loved getting to choose my own hours
    - Client site (Belmont Village San Jose) was great to work at
    - Professional Choice Account reimbursed you fully for clothing/shoes/certifications/etc. for $500-$750 during my time there with the possibility of $1250

Cons

- No pay raise or merit increase
    - No bonuses
    - Absolutely no chance for advancement within the company (unless you want to change career paths and become an Agency Administrator)
    - Company wants you to increase caseload while not compensating you for the extra work

Advice to Management

- Offer advancement opportunities to Wellness Coordinators
    - Offer bonuses or pay rate / merit increases to Wellness Coordinators
    - Offer better Employee Wellness Program

Feb 15, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

We believe in maximizing the potential of our employees and the only way we can grow is to learn from our successes as well as our failures. Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your... More

4. "Grateful for the opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Promotion from within, consistent structure throughout facilities, excellent training and updates on industry changes.

Cons

Emphasis on productivity, difficulty in taking long vacations or leaves of absence.

Advice to Management

Make sure that staff is not being pushed to be productive at the expense of honesty.

Feb 2, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for sharing your experience. We value every piece of feedback we receive and we know it takes time out of your busy day to complete.

Would you be willing to share more about your... More

"Middle of the road kind of company"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package was reasonable and affordable.

Cons

Leadership has been shaky, at best, in terms of communication from the head of the snake to its body. I received one performance review and one raise in four years with the company.

Jan 21, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your experience. It goes without saying, but our employees play a critical role in helping Kindred deliver quality care. I can be reached at... More

6. "review"

I have been working at RehabCare full-time

Pros

my therapy team is absolutely wonderful, doing what is in the patients best interest

Cons

sometimes its all about money

Jan 24, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

7. "Occupational therapist"

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in New Orleans, LA

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I no longer work for them

Cons

I was out-sourced to Kindred in fall 2015. When my hospital cancelled the contract in summer 2017, cheers were heard throughout the land. The CEO of the hospital actually apologized for sending us to “this snake oil” of a company. As you read above, the unethical and just shy of illegal push to see patient with total disregard to care is their modus operondi. All the regulations that the therapists have to follow are a result of “consent decrees” from their settlements with the feds on their fraud and abuse cases, (over$130 million for over charging of patients and not properly paying for overtime). In these cases they admitted no wrong, and just settled to stop the investigations and legal cases from proceeding. So happy not to be with them anymore.

Advice to Management

Give it up and sell to someone who cares about patients. One day I will be treating you, and if you received the care that kindred allows, you would never be rehabilitated. It takes care, and TIME, to help people reach their potential:)

Feb 17, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience. Would you be willing to talk with our team? The impact of sharing your concerns is crucial to the future experience of other employees. I... More

8. "Pta"

Former Employee - PTA in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - PTA in Amarillo, TX

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with decent benefits and flexibility. Electronic documentation system is user friendly.

Cons

Productivity expectations are unrealistic. Therapy services sometimes over utilized in long term care setting.

Jan 8, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

We appreciate you sharing your experience working on our team.

"Decent benefits , unethical, high productivity standards"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent , good team work and compassionate coworkers. Hard -working manager. They start you at 500$ a year for CEU’s and license fees ( but they take about 2-3 months to reimburse you )

Cons

Where to begin... don’t expect a raise. I have been working for this company for 3 years and have gotten a joke of a raise- more embarrassing than anything. I was also told that I will never be making over $40 an hour as an OTR. Looks like I will be looking someone else in a few years...

RUGS RUGS RUGS. It’s all about pushing patients to get their 70 minute daily treatments when not always appropriate.

The same Medicare B patients being picked up for the same reason due to poor carryover with nursing staff. all Medicare B patients NEED to be seen for 55 minutes ( unless they are on for feeding or orthotics )

No co-treats allowed with this company - no matter what the diagnosis is. I’m told to “grab a tech”. So apparently techs can be therapists too...

HR stinks. Expect to be on hold for at least an hour before someone answers or just give up.

Point of service documentation = poor therapy and ther ex no matter what to diagnosis is.

You are forced to keep people on the clock during transports and paperwork (writing orders , changing care plans) due to the high productivity and inability for the techs to transport patients. On days where you are productive- there’s no compensation for being above the expectation. So , if you’re 90% productive and only worked 7:15 minutes, you get nothing for being above the 85% expectation and leaving 45 mins early. Leaving early over the course of the year adds up. It makes you NOT want to be productive.

PTO accrual stinks. 16 days a year ( that’s if you work 40 hours a week - which you aren’t always guaranteed )
    You are forced to use PTO if you take a day off.

Advice to Management

Read the cons above. There’s a reason why this company was sued a few years ago ....

Jan 10, 2018 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for sharing your experience as an employee of Kindred. We hope you will consider talking further with our team. We consider your concerns as crucial for our current and future employees. I... More

"Company does not prioritize patient care"

Current Employee - PTA
    Current Employee - PTA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good
    PTO is generous
    the director at our location is responsive to schedule changes when they are needed to take care of our family. The rehab director at our location i believe is a good person, and really trying her best. Unfortunately, she is just forced to recite the company line.
    Many experienced therapists to learn from

Cons

Unrealistic productivity standards. 93% for PTA/COTA and 85% for PT/OT. This works out to 35 minutes in an 8 hour day for a PTA. 35 minutes per day to transport patients to and from their rooms, do documentation, communicate with nursing or social work, family meetings, and the hundred other things that therapists have to do every day that aren't billable.

The iPad rules our world. There are dozens of regulations regarding the iPad. Must see a patient within 10 minutes of punching in. Must be 2-5 minutes between each patient. Don't use the same cpt codes daily. Actual treatment minutes should not end in a 0 or 5. Treatment must be at most 5 minutes under or 15 minutes over what the planned treatment is that day, otherwise must justify why the minutes are different due to medical necessity. Data entry must be within 5 minutes of actual time. There has been no evidence presented that these measures improve quality of care for the patients. The productivity standards and the made up iPad regulations lead to fraud.

Over scheduling. I have been scheduled between 8.75 and 10.75 hours of treatment per supposed 8 hour day for the last 3 months. We are supposed to do group/concurrent treatment in order to do more treatment than there are hours in the day. The company preaches that point of service provides the best quality of care. Then, they schedule us so heavily that we cannot do point of service care. That is a clear, direct admission that quality of care is not the priority. The company has us do whatever sort of treatment makes them the most money, and then makes up some story as to how that benefits the patient. When our census is low, we are expected to leave early.

Management undermines clinical decision making. We are pushed to treat patients for as many minutes as possible, whether that benefits the patient or not. Evaluating therapists are expected to place patients on program regardless of necessity. If a therapist does an eval, and finds that the patient would not benefit from therapy at this time, management will have the patient evaluated again and again by different therapists until someone picks them up.

Essentially, all the company regulations make providing good therapy difficult. It is still possible, but the company is fighting against you instead of working with you to benefit patients.

Advice to Management

Middle/senior management: If you are such a good therapist that you can provide 9.5 hours of high quality care to patients in an 8 hour day, and perfectly run the frustrating ipad program within the arbitrary constraints, please come show me how to do it. I would be very appreciative for you to come treat my caseload for a day, so that I can see how it is done and learn from you.

Dec 16, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

We value all feedback, good or bad, and strongly believe that our employees are the heart of our company. Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience. I can be reached at... More