RehabCare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short
John H. Short

Pros
  • Flexible schedule but none other (in 20 reviews)

• Great co-workers who believe in what they do and work hard to keep their skills up to date including the latest technology/therapy techniques (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity is the driver above patient care (keep patients at highest levels at all times) (in 25 reviews)

• Recently paid 125 million in fines but still a lot of pressure from upper management to always be billing patients (in 23 reviews)

"Speech language pathologist"

Current Contractor - Speech Language Pathologist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Contractor - Speech Language Pathologist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at RehabCare as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I was lucky to have a great team.

Cons

Poor collaboration between nursing staff and therapy staff. We were different companies.

Advice to Management

Focus less on productivity and more on developing new employees.

"Fair"

I worked at RehabCare part-time

Pros

Therapy team was great. Patients over enjoy participating in therapy.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to care about patients and their needs. They focus too much on productivity and meeting RUG levels. Plan on making poor ethical decisions or at least putting yourself into ethical dilemmas.

Advice to Management

Learn care about the employees who are working for you rather than just looking at them as dollar signs.

"Use caution"

Pros

The hours are flexible, the productivity is reasonable, documentation is easy to complete

Cons

Use precaution, double check the minutes you build for and the notes you write to make sure it has not been changed

Advice to Management

Retrain management

5. "OT"

Pros

Friendly recruiter, compensation, easy process

Cons

Big company, hard to get raises, no training, micromanaging

"Too Many Cons"

Pros

The only pro for this company (and the only reason 95% of the rehab staff is still there) is for something that has nothing really to do with the actual company, as RehabCare is a national conglomerate with multiple sites that consist of SNFs, ALFs, acute hospitals, etc. Our Rehab Director is a fantastic boss, and pulls the whole department together into one big work family. The rest of the staff is also very supportive and caring, so really the only pro of the company is the people I work with at the particular RehabCare facility I work at.

Cons

The executives of the company make a huge profit day after day and pay their staff pitiful salaries in comparison. On top of that the only couple of raises I have seen in my 3.5 years there for the entire department literally just amounts to pennies, and is laughable at best. They have incredibly unrealistic expectations of their employees, those people who are in the trenches and are actually doing the real work, and yet never offer any incentive besides those of the threatening variety. They are a Rehab company, and yet instead of focusing on and emphasizing patient care, they emphasize profit day after day. The healthcare benefits that the company offers are also terrible.

Advice to Management

Above all, treat your employees better - give them reasonable raises instead of a slap in the face. Lower your ridiculous productivity standards, or lower your standards for patient care - because you can't have both.

"Great facility, unorganized management"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist

Pros

New facility with nice equipment and a pool (did not see the pool used once while I was working there, though)
    Passionate co-workers

Cons

Productivity requirements do not account for the unpredictability of the SNF setting
    New facility that was in the process of training a DOR, was very unorganized
    I was asked to complete documentation for patients who were there before my contract started, which I refused to do

"COTA"

Former Employee - COTA/L in Adrian, MI
    Former Employee - COTA/L in Adrian, MI

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patients were fun to work with and enjoyed working with Therapy team. I loved watching the patients meeting goals (making progress) and able to get them to a point where they can manage at home.

Cons

Poor Management skills and lack of communication which led to misinterpretation. Management assumed you were guilty before innocent. The productivity was unrealistic for facility I worked at and productivity expectation was always the focus with management. In order to have productivity to work well you have to have your nursing staff on your side.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and get your nursing staff to work with you and help nursing staff understand the goals that your therapy team trying to accomplish.

"Stop scrutinize the therapists!"

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good CEU, good documentation trainings.

Cons

It's becoming very stressful to work for this company. Goals are set too high and senior management has no mercy upon the therapists. It's becoming too much of a business than providing good care. The company focuses on productivity , budget, and intemidation.

Advice to Management

Keep your financial goals realistic since your therapists meet significant challenges each day to treat and provide good care to all of the residents. Have senior management respect program directors and therapists alike(many people are unhappy, stop the bullying!). Simplify the documentation system as its too lengthy, redevelope evaluations and progress notes as its too repetitive. Minimize daily reports that program directors have to complete regularly so they could see patients as well. Be an example of a company that cares about their staff rather than shareholders( tough, but you can do it).

"Occuational Therapist"

Pros

Frequently hear "Whatever the patient needs" when making decisions re: RUG levels. Good reimbursement for CEUs, clothing, shoes, license fees, association fees, etc.

Cons

Many supervisors I have encountered encourage therapists to get amount of minutes the patient need, however schedule within only 1-2 minutes of RUG level to improve utilization, which affects their quarterly bonus.

"Wouldn't recommend"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Media, PA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Media, PA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice culture with direct coworkers, direct supervisor is a big reason why I stay. Flexible work hours (I work a flex schedule)

Cons

Upper management sets impossible policies and is borderline unethical. Benefits not very good. Often hires new grads over seasoned employees because they don't want to pay them. This makes a group of people who are all new and have no guidance. Constantly feel like it's upper management vs. therapists. Lacks that feeling of unity.

Advice to Management

Policies created at the top do not necessarily translate well at the bottom.